Can't connect through the Internet

Started by plongson, November 25, 2012, 11:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plongson

I got the monitoring panel to work locally, first through a crossover cable (direct connect) and it works locally in the house via the wireless router. Works GREAT...

What I cannot get now is a connection over the internet. I got the DYN Host service all set and it appears the local app is going through the host service and pinging the router. It is a Buffalo router and not one of the examples listed, but I found the Port Forward setup area and must have something wrong. It sure looks good and the local app starts with "Retrying"  > Then "Device not Found" and back to "Retrying".

I have the Classic on "Static" 192.168.11.30 and the Port Forward on the router set the same with both set at 502.

Any ideas?? I've tried just about everything I can and have run out of ideas. Problem is, I'll be gone for at least a week now and can't access this router until I get back.

Thanks guys...

Paul
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

Paul;

You do know you can only connect to the Classic with one device at a time, right?

If you are monitoring it locally and try to open a second session it will fail.

Just one "gotcha" that can prevent connection with the Status Panel.

So, if you left a home computer on watching it you will not be able to connect to it from outside [or inside] your LAN.

I like to start with the simple things first. Is it possible the Classic rebooted and got another IP? Can you ping it?

I never did try access from outside so no help on that specific issue.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

As Tom pointed out it sounds like it is being watched all ready. The Busy->Retrying thing is when the app sees the classic but can not talk to it.

If this is not the case the thing I do to find out where the problem is to eliminate DynDNS for the moment by  having someone onsite go to www.whatismyip.com and giving you the public IP of the site at that moment. Now enter that and the port number in the Local App. If it connects it is a DynDNS issue if not is is likely port forwarding.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

plongson

Very good suggestions. Tom, I had the same thought that perhaps it cannot handle two devices at the same time. And Ryan, if that doesn't work I will head directly to your suggestions. At least I got something to work with.

Paul
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

plongson

WaHOO!! Got in a little while ago and DL'd the local app to this PC, set it up and BAM!! It logged right on! just WAY too cool to now have a way to monitor my system when I not there. You guys did a great job on this app.

It was working all the time at the ranch when I was setting it up, and Tom, you were right (as I started to suspect), only one device can log on at one time.

ANYWAY... THANKS for all your help. Midnite again is just about the best out there for products and support. imagine getting a reply on Sunday afternoon after Thanksgiving on a question posted on a forum. Unbelievably great service! Ryan, you're awesome!

What are the future plans for this amazing app? You guys have more up your sleeve?? Just curious.

Paul
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

Paul;

Glad to help and happy it worked out for you.

Yep, Ryan may be funny looking  :o but he knows his stuff and is dedicated!

Tom

P.S.

Sorry, Ryan I could not resist a friendly jab.
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies