Compatibility across Outback and Midnight communications

Started by Nashville, November 27, 2012, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nashville

Good Morning!
I am somewhat new to solar, and own the Outback GTFX 3648 inverter. I bought the Mate 3, which I like a lot. I own the Classic Lite 150. Great features! The Mate 3 talks to the OB Flex units , but now I am realizing that it is not likely it will talk to my Classic Lite. Hopefully I am wrong because the Mate 3 has a lot of integration capabilty.

I would just suggest that the two major players consider the big picture and share communication proctocols so that the consumer has options and not be locked in to proprietary equipment.  : ???

Halfcrazy

You are correct they will not talk to each other. The MidNite Classic uses an open Mod Bus protocol that is published (Meaning anyone who wants can talk and change things in the Classic. Unfortunately the Outback is a proprietary protocol that we are not allowed to talk to. They do have there new ModBus box but I am not sure how open they will be with it. In theory if it is true modbus and published we could talk to it?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Nashville

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 27, 2012, 05:11:20 PM
You are correct they will not talk to each other. The MidNite Classic uses an open Mod Bus protocol that is published (Meaning anyone who wants can talk and change things in the Classic. Unfortunately the Outback is a proprietary protocol that we are not allowed to talk to. They do have there new ModBus box but I am not sure how open they will be with it. In theory if it is true modbus and published we could talk to it?

Ryan
Hi Ryan. Thanks for your reply. That's kind of what I thought. I think I'm going to post this on Outback's site and see what response I get. I don't know anything about ModBus. Guess I will have to learn. Great that Midnight has chosen the open source route! Thanks Robin!