New member introductions (READ THIS FIRST)

Started by Halfcrazy, November 24, 2010, 07:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtmaps

Quote from: Allen15 on September 20, 2012, 11:52:01 PMa pretty large PV array on the back side of my proposed greenhouse

panels on the back side of greenhouse?!?  In what direction will the panels face?  Will the plants and the panels be competing for the same sunlight?

--vtMaps

buckshot

Hi my name is Mike and live in Ont> Canada> i am installing a system at my cabin.

unicornio

Hi, There,

my name is vicente, I write this with solar energy and living off-grid (in the gredos mountains, valle del tietar, spain) since 2005 ...
my installation consists of outback equipment since 2007:
VFX3024E
two FM60 (I sold my legendary MX60 that could not interact at 100%  with the new mate3, but is working in Cadiz (Spain) with no known incidence)
FlexNet DC
Mate3
HUB4
24v 985AH c120 opzs exide classic solar
Lorentz solar tracker ETATRACK 1500
Kyoceras with wp 1560
biodiesel genset

I'm an engineer and telecommunications technician after almost 30years working in companies like Telettra, Alcatel, Nokia ... I decided to go the renewable energy, wastewater treatment and bioclimatic architecture ...

I was also the Spanish navy radio operator and in hamradio since age 14, as many of you (eb4bsq)

I'm very interested in how midnite rises and reaping more success every day, so I'll be around here yet ...

Best regards
la energia solar no es una energia alternativa: es la energia.   Taller Ecologico "Los Unicornios" - - monitor solar on-line

vtmaps

Quote from: unicornio on October 17, 2012, 06:04:22 PM
I'm very interested in how midnite rises and reaping more success every day, so I'll be around here yet ...
Welcome to the forum.  Its good to see you here.  I have enjoyed seeing your posts over at NAWS and Outback.
--vtMaps

unicornio

Quote from: vtmaps on October 18, 2012, 04:52:14 AM
Quote from: unicornio on October 17, 2012, 06:04:22 PM
Welcome to the forum.  Its good to see you here.  I have enjoyed seeing your posts over at NAWS and Outback.
--vtMaps

thanks so much, vtMaps, I also follow your posts on other forums! ...
I love finding THE synergy in the forums! ...;-)

la energia solar no es una energia alternativa: es la energia.   Taller Ecologico "Los Unicornios" - - monitor solar on-line

jim k.

hi, my name is Jim and we live in the coast range of Oregon this time of year sunshine is not so good, I wish I had found this forum much sooner, I've got 1650 watts on a rack 75 feet from the house coming to a morningstar non mppt controller  to two rolls s-530 batteries with a 3000 watt mod. sine inverter, when the weather was nice no problem but now not so good,  how much more charging would a good controller like the midnight classic get me, this is off grid used only as a back power system but some days it won't even run a tv.

Westbranch

Hi, it depends on the configuration of your whole system. 

A few more details are needed to even attempt to answer your question...

might  help to post it in one of the other categories...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

niel

jimk,
you may benefit from arranging the pvs differently to go through an mppt controller, but do understand that no controller makes up for poor insolation. if the sun is not there, it's just not there and the sun is where you get the power from. a good controller in the right arrangement of the pvs just makes for better efficiency of the power provided by the sun and no controller creates it.

d34

New here and to Midnite products.  I ordered the Classic 200 yesterday.  The reason for gettin the 200 over the 150 is I plan on using this with rectified 120vac from a listeroid at times.  Most of the time it will be used with solar input.  Is there anything I need to do before I install this?  Updates?

alyaz

Hi Gang. 

My name is Al and have moved full-time to a sunny little island (off grid) off the coast of BC Canada.  For various reasons I've had an opportunity to use various different controllers over the last two years and have finally tried a Midnite Solar 250.  Not sure why it took me so long...  I love it and I love the fact that this forum exists with the involvement of the brainiacs (meant in the nicest way) who make this cool gear.   Customer support is everything to me, well a great controller such as the 250 means a lot too, but I'm hooked on Midnite stuff.  Good work you guys and girls! 

What would I like to see Midnite Solar do next?  Hmmm... thanks for asking.  Since you have definitely nailed the branding concept / brand recognition and lead the pack in that aspect, I'd love to have some cool Midnite Solar decals/bling for my toys.  Also how about offering a owners/users course for us ...  would be a blast.  Oh yeah, and more 'how to' videos starring Sasha!!!   :o

Again, good work, digg'in my Midnite Solar stuff...

:-)
3.3 kW solar. (1.5 kW Helios - MN Classic 150 CC; .8 kW CSun - MN Classic 150 CC; 1 kW Sharp - MN  Classic 250 CC); Magnum PAE-4024 Inverter, AGS, ARC, BMK. Whizbang Jr., Midnite Solar battery monitor, 5 Midnite SPD’s. 24V Rolls 4KS21P - 1105 a/hr FLA.  10 kW Perkins Diesel.

Sweet Taterman

Greetings. The farts are fresh here every day. It's only me that's old. My first and introductory post. After lurking for a long while to watch the progress in the firmware of the Classic CC it finally appeared that it was mostly working right so I pulled the trigger and recently received a Classic 150 SN5767 with the latest firmware. While I am very impressed with the product, the documentation is another matter and hence the need to finally register here. A major factor in my decision to go with the Classic has been the demonstrated willingness of the Midnite team to address customer needs here on the forum.
About me. I'm celebrating my 20th year since last drawing a paycheck as an EE/Test Engineer mostly in the power generation industry. Back in the day I also did a bit of DC/DC conversion design so I have a bit of appreciation for what would be the heart of any MPPT CC.
The past decade or so I could be best described as a subsistance farmer which suits me just fine.
I am in the last house on the end of a powerline that only has a few customers in the last mile. I thus have no expectation of rapid restoration of service in the event of a regional widespread ulitity outage. My main concern is maintaining refrigeration with everything else a luxury. My backup consists of 12X Trojan L16RE2V cells along with an assortment of inverters and chargers. While I own a couple kW of PV, most are still crated. Those along with the charge controllers now including the Classic 150 are held in reserve and it will suit me fine if I never have to deploy them. All for now. I'll have a few questions coming for the Classic CC subforum that have arisen during the checkout of my new Classic.

boB

Welcom to the forum Mr. Taterman !

Yes, we know about the documentation.  Resources are tight BUT this IS being worked on !

Don't forget to check out our fine videos that help to explain a lot of things.  Adding more of
those too as we get the chance.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vern Faulkner

Quote from: Sweet Taterman on January 26, 2013, 04:12:22 PMMy backup consists of 12X Trojan L16RE2V cells along with an assortment of inverters and chargers. While I own a couple kW of PV, most are still crated. Those along with the charge controllers now including the Classic 150 are held in reserve and it will suit me fine if I never have to deploy them.

If you are not using your batteries, or charging them frequently, you are basically killing them slowly.... not sure if I am interpreting your statement correctly, but just a heads up if I am - keep those puppies charged!

dgd

Quote from: Sweet Taterman on January 26, 2013, 04:12:22 PM
A major factor in my decision to go with the Classic has been the demonstrated willingness of the Midnite team to address customer needs here on the forum.
Yes, same here, I have been pleased with the ongoing support.
My backup consists of 12X Trojan L16RE2V cells along with an assortment of inverters and chargers. While I own a couple kW of PV, most are still crated. Those along with the charge controllers now including the Classic 150 are held in reserve and it will suit me fine if I never have to deploy them.

"Holy Classics in Boxes boBman"   :o     Another believer in keeping their Classic in the box, the Midnite marketing wizards do it again... :)

But seriously Sweet Taterman (kumera man?) Vern's advice is important. Flooded acid batteries such as the L16 will gradually discharge and die.
You need keep them alive with just a trickle of power. Even if you just unpack a couple of those panels and wire to the classic then to the batteries then all should stay good.
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

Quote from: dgd on January 26, 2013, 06:21:35 PM
Quote from: Sweet Taterman on January 26, 2013, 04:12:22 PM
A major factor in my decision to go with the Classic has been the demonstrated willingness of the Midnite team to address customer needs here on the forum.
Yes, same here, I have been pleased with the ongoing support.
My backup consists of 12X Trojan L16RE2V cells along with an assortment of inverters and chargers. While I own a couple kW of PV, most are still crated. Those along with the charge controllers now including the Classic 150 are held in reserve and it will suit me fine if I never have to deploy them.

"Holy Classics in Boxes boBman"   :o     Another believer in keeping their Classic in the box, the Midnite marketing wizards do it again... :)

But seriously Sweet Taterman (kumera man?) Vern's advice is important. Flooded acid batteries such as the L16 will gradually discharge and die.
You need keep them alive with just a trickle of power. Even if you just unpack a couple of those panels and wire to the classic then to the batteries then all should stay good.
dgd

Right !  You will want to give them a good absorb charge once in a while at least to keep them de-sulfated.  Maybe
once every couple weeks at least for a couple/few hours.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me