New member introductions (READ THIS FIRST)

Started by Halfcrazy, November 24, 2010, 07:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Taterman

boB, Thanks for the nudge on the videos. I am someone who typically ignores videos. I did find that the VariMax video as well as some of the Menu Items videos clarified some things that I could not figure out by trial/error.

BobL

Hi I am Bob Lienhart, aka BobL, I live at Village Terraces, a reasonably well-developed neighborhood at Earthaven Ecovillage, located in Western North Carolina.  Our neighborhood shares an off grid system comprised of about 3 1/2 generations of panels all tied into 4 new Classics.

The oldest strings are 12 Sharp NT-185 UI panels, paired up and feeding about 68 volts to a Classic Lite 150.
The second string are 8 Kyocera KC175GTs and 4 Kyocera KD 185P panels, in groups of 4 feeding about 91 volts to a second Classic Lite 150.
The third and fourth strings are brand spanking new Suntech STP240-20/Wde.  8 panels on each string feeding about 110 volts.  One string feeds a Classic Lite 200 and the second feeds a Classic 200.

The latter Classic 200 has an MNGP and the rest MNLPs.

Internally wired and configured with Follow-me and networked through a 5-port switch and running the Local Panel App.

All of this charging a pair of Solar One/Hup SO-6-85-27/24 1105A/H (6 hr) batteries in parallel at 24 VDC.

System also has a Honda Inverter/Generator and we are tied into a micro hydro station.  Both of these alternative power sources feed a Trace 4024 Inverter.  This inverter will soon be replaced with a pair of 3500 watt inverters.  The second of which will be heating a 120 gallon electric hot water tank once the batteries get topped off.  This hot water tank will have a heat exchange loop from a wood fired stove.

Complexity at its best,

BobL

HawaiiDave

Hello to all, My name is Dave  I live in Alaska & Hawaii (soon in Hawaii all the time.   Smile) Live off grid,  Installed mid size solar system in Hawaii
& can't seem to stop adding to my system or learning about solar systems..  Geeze maybe I'm a little crazy...   
Happy Thoughts
  Dave

muddome

Hello, my name is Shane.
My wife and I are building an earthbag and cob home that will be completely off-grid. We live in East Central Alberta, Canada.
Our system includes 9 Rec 230 watt panels, 4 Surrette 6CS17 (540A/hr at 20 hr), and an Outback FlexPower One with VFX3524 inverter and an FM80 charge controller. I also have some Midnite components such as disco combiner and surge protector. My system will be installed over this summer.
I am seriously considering swapping out the FM80 for a Midnite Classic 150 so I can safely use my nine panels in 3 strings of 3.

jimskau

Hi I am Jim Skau a renegade film mixer that settled in Andalusia (Southern Spain) some 7 years back, where I converted my profession to solar installations.
We live in 1000m height on the southern slopes of the Sierra Nevada in Granada province. We are off grid and partly self sufficient with the main crop being vine grapes & cherries plus the resulting products.... Hooch & Wine.

I'm not the most technical guy (I've learned a lot on the Arizona wind & solar forum) so my main claim to fame is advising people on how to get the most out of their solar systems by splitting the loads up during the afternoons when the panels are idling. 
We try to keep within the spec of the NEC when installing our systems.  We use the NEC because such guidelines are virtually non existent here in Spain, but as we all know the fire hazards are well present.
Apart from all this we try to work as little as possible (meaning lots of inventions in easy irrigation systems/self feeding chicken runs/ mulched veg gardens with automated drip , and so on) and enjoy a life away from the ever maddening modern consumer humdrum.

As Voltaire's Candide says: "you should tend your own garden"

I am truly looking forward to following this forum and get to know some of you guys.

Jim Skau, Solar chapuzero
Outback VFX 1424
4 x 6CS25p's Rolls
1,8 Kw mixed array, Midnite Classic 150
1 Jack Russel terrier
SmartGauge battery monitor & a hell of a lot of Vines :-)

Thirteen

Roy here I went off grid when I retired on January 1, 2013 Single don't drink much never smoked, I do not chew I have a 3BR house and 60a back in the sticks. Nearest neighbor is 3/4 mile no cell service but I did get internet service last week. 17 trees later I get it from 6 am until 10 pm. Just moved in in January and am repairing the place.I worked construction for 40 years. Will start a garden next year I already have apple trees. I Can get two radio stations starting last year. Isolated canyon and a semi dead end road. 4000ft and heavily forested. No elect I heat with wood and cook with wood. But I will break down and put a small 2 burner propane stove in the kitchen next to the cook stove. Just getting my systems in place. First solar panel went in in December others will be this fall.

TomW

Quote from: Thirteen on June 24, 2013, 02:08:59 PM
Roy here I went off grid when I retired on January 1, 2013

Funny how the "work" doesn't slow much once you "retire" :o

Sounds like your plan is pulling together. I remember cooking with wood and needing a half pickup load of wood to bake a pie.

Propane is cheap to me for cooking. There is no substitute for heating with wood as long as i can run the saw / splitter.

Best of luck to you!

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

sirmoiu

Hi, I'm Wendell, from the Bahamas, I am new to PV about 2 months, I am grid tie with battery backup, I have 10, 150 watts panels, 1, Midnite 150, 2, 2kw each inverters, 4 12v 200 ah batteries, everyday I learn something new when it comes to the PV Systems. Thanks

Rockinriley

Rockinriley here, from Michigan.   Just dabbling in solar right now.  Wife bought me a harbor freight kit for Father's Day, and I already want MORE!   It is so addicting, but so expensive.  Nevertheless, it is fun to dream.  I was a network manager of 8 networks in North America until November, then I quit to be a stay at home dad.  I now do solar research as time allows. 

TomW

Quote from: Rockinriley on July 15, 2013, 11:44:26 AM
Rockinriley here, from Michigan.   Just dabbling in solar right now.  Wife bought me a harbor freight kit for Father's Day, and I already want MORE!   It is so addicting, but so expensive.  Nevertheless, it is fun to dream.  I was a network manager of 8 networks in North America until November, then I quit to be a stay at home dad.  I now do solar research as time allows.
Riley;

Welcome to the forum!

Renewable Energy is one of the most addictive things I ever got involved with.

Started with a little glass printed solar panel before Y2K and progressed to a multi-thousand dollar system since. Being a bit of a Prepper it has gone from hobby to mission critical so we can survive with at least the basics of refrigeration, lights, water and entertainment if the grid quits delivering power for whatever reason. Sadly, unless that happens we will never recover the full investment.

Some guys have bass boats, some have muscle cars we have an RE system that repays a small amount every single day.

Be warned it is addictive but it is also lots of fun and satisfying. There is no known cure.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

SgtPepper

Hello, i've recently bought a classic lite 150 and are slowly getting all the bits together to build a system. This web site has been very useful over the last week so I thought i'd chime in here first as i'll no doubt have a few newbe questions to ask over the next few months.
I'm in NZ and live in the Marlborough Sounds, no power lines for miles so off grid for me!
I've built small simple solar systems at home over years, but MPPT tech is new to me and want to step up in size a bit.  :)

robertd

hello all my name is Robert and I live in Jamaica
my system has 14 suntec 280w panels 2 per bank
and I recently installed a classic 200

RomoJack

Hi, I'm Rommel. I'm from Barbados, I'm fairly new to Renewable Energy and I'm in the processing of building an Off Grid System for my Home Office. I'll eventually have 8 - 16 250Watt Solar Panels, manage by 3 Classic 150s and 12 - 24 Concord Sun Extender 2Volt L16 Batteries

I must say this stuff is addictive and I've enjoyed designing and building it so far at this time I have 4 of the panels and I'm waiting for the classics to arrive. I also have an Outback Inverter on the way.

mryimmers

Hi, My name is Howard, I live in northwestern Ontario, I am trying to educate myself on solar energy with the intention of building a small system for a remote off grid cabin. I have been monitoring my power use with a kill-a-watt meter and have a good idea of what I need now. Forums like this one have been my main source of information, and I find the people very knowledgeable and helpful, thanks a ton!!!! Howard

tecnodave

Hi,  my name is David, Born & raised in backwoods of Alaska, off grid,  A true Sourdough. I live in central coastal California mountains and South coastal Alaska, both off grid, Work in construction in California , relaxing and sport fishing in Alaska,  retired twice communications and computers, self employed electrician now, mostly residential remodel 100% on grid. I also do very small scale solar for remote environmental documentation with communication 50 watt to 400 watt 12 volt  for governmental agencies, Siemens panels and Morningstar PWM controllers.
I have small systems  mostly gov't surplus 55 watt  Siemens M55 mono panels about 2 kW now, changing monthly, also 560 watts poly crystal and 750 watts CdTe for my small cabins. 4 Chinese (Beijing EP Solar Tracer) MPPT controllers , 400 - 1000 watts each 12 volt and 24 volt systems. Patiently awaiting my Classic which is being shipped now. Always needing the next thing in off grid technology. Cheers.

//update//.    3 Tracers  have been replaced with a Classic 150. Much better power now that set charge profile to battery type.   20% more power harvested now.   Still have 500 watt Tracer at cabin in Alaska but will replace with kid when available.
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P