Local App Dash Question

Started by plongson, November 30, 2012, 05:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plongson

OK, call me a dumb @^#, but I have to ask the question...then you can beat me up.

On the MSSP (MidNite Solar Status Panel) we have "Power" in the center and "Battery Amps" on the far right. Does the battery amps represent amps leaving the battery to power my inverter and all things connected? What is the relationship to the "Power/Watts" dial and how do they interact?

It seems to me that "Battery Amps" should either be a positive (+) or a negative (-) number depending on which way the power is flowing, much like the old amp meters we had on cars back in the day.

How should I interpret these numbers.

Thanks guys...
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

Quote from: plongson on November 30, 2012, 05:43:58 PM
OK, call me a dumb @^#, but I have to ask the question...then you can beat me up.

On the MSSP (MidNite Solar Status Panel) we have "Power" in the center and "Battery Amps" on the far right. Does the battery amps represent amps leaving the battery to power my inverter and all things connected? What is the relationship to the "Power/Watts" dial and how do they interact?

It seems to me that "Battery Amps" should either be a positive (+) or a negative (-) number depending on which way the power is flowing, much like the old amp meters we had on cars back in the day.

Thanks guys...

Not a dumb question at all. Here is my take on it:

i  always assumed the "battery amps" were battery charge amps from the Classic to the batteries. I don't see how the Classic would know the inverter amp draw to give that info? If that is true, a bit of math should yield watts into the battery. Take the battery volts times the battery amps and it should equal the Power watts shown. Power (Watts) is instantaneous power and energy (Kilo watt hours or KWH) is cumulative power over time.

Hope that helps. And hope I am right on what is represented by the gauges.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

The gauges are as follows left to right:

Input voltage, this is from your input source (IE PV, Hydro or wind) and is actually measured inside the Classic
Energy, This is the total Kilo Watt Hours accumulated for the day so far
Power, This is the instantaneous watts reading at that given time
Battery, This is the actual battery voltage at the present time measured at the classic terminals
Amps, This is the actual amperage Leaving the Classic at the present time (so it is a one way reading)

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Halfcrazy

Quote from: TomW on November 30, 2012, 05:59:23 PM
Quote from: plongson on November 30, 2012, 05:43:58 PM

Thanks guys...

Not a dumb question at all. Here is my take on it:

i  always assumed the "battery amps" were battery charge amps from the Classic to the batteries. I don't see how the Classic would know the inverter amp draw to give that info? If that is true, a bit of math should yield watts into the battery. Take the battery volts times the battery amps and it should equal the Power watts shown. Power (Watts) is instantaneous power and energy (Kilo watt hours or KWH) is cumulative power over time.

Hope that helps. And hope I am right on what is represented by the gauges.

Tom

To expand on what Tom said the Amps out and battery voltage are measured values in the Classic, Watts is a mathematical calculation based on the battery voltage and amperage.

Ryan

plongson

OK, I got it now...and when you said "leaving the Classic" you meant "Leaving the Classic and going to the battery" correct?

I think I got it...makes sense.

EDIT: and on values to chart... INPUT CURRENT is from the panels and BATTERY CURRENT is from the classic to batterys?

10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

Halfcrazy