New Battery Monitor For Systems using A Classic & utilising MNGP

Started by nigel, December 09, 2012, 10:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel

Robin I assumed with a one wire connection to the classic and a retail price of $59 (not including shunt) at that price it obviously
utilises the MN graphics panel display.

Ive started the thread, Illl also take 10 units please ;D

TomW

Quote from: nigel on December 09, 2012, 10:28:44 AM

Ive started the thread, Illl also take 10 units please ;D

Robin;

Stick me on that list, too. I only want a couple as I am just an end user not a vendor like Nigel seems to be. If they can be ganged up anyway. One for the power room one for the house.

So I guess my "feature request" is simple attachment of multiple monitors without additional devices like a Hub on OB gear even if they need to be daisy chained. a wired range of 100 meters or so be good, too, if you can't sort out doing it wireless.

I don't want much do I.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

Nigel,  thanks for starting this Thread,

Yes!! Count me in for a few of the MN BMs,  already have the Shunts installed ... hope that such a BM would have the ability to end Absorption via measured battery charge current at,  or  soon after introduction.

If there was additional control capability added later,  so much the better -- with things like unusual charge and EQ profiles.   Perhaps the Boost Charge where the Vabs is higher for a period than the main Vabs,  recharge only every N days if measured SOC above a value set,  etc.

Thanks,  Vic,  always wanting MORE!
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Quote from: Vic on December 12, 2012, 04:08:29 PM

Yes!! Count me in for a few of the MN BMs,  already have the Shunts installed ... hope that such a BM would have the ability to end Absorption via measured battery charge current at,  or soon after soon after introduction.

This will be the first thing that it will do.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

crunnells

Any news or ETA or anything like that? I like the idea of using the MNGP display, and giving it an ethernet port to connect it to the network.

That, and hurry up with those inverters! I'm gonna have MN everything in my setup eventually.

boB

Quote from: crunnells on January 28, 2013, 06:28:01 PM
Any news or ETA or anything like that? I like the idea of using the MNGP display, and giving it an ethernet port to connect it to the network.

That, and hurry up with those inverters! I'm gonna have MN everything in my setup eventually.

Okay !  Hurryan fast !
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Photowhit

Quote from: boB on December 12, 2012, 04:21:25 PM
Quote from: Vic on December 12, 2012, 04:08:29 PM
Yes!! Count me in for a few of the MN BMs,  already have the Shunts installed ... hope that such a BM would have the ability to end Absorption via measured battery charge current at,  or soon after soon after introduction.

This will be the first thing that it will do.

boB

Awesome! I'm in for one, I'm wondering how confused the classic's will be when I'm running a couple A/Cs during the summer. Is the classic setup for this type of input? or will we need the new Midnite "Modern" charge controller, with flip up display and Bluetooth?

I'm fine with out the use of MNGP so long as I can use the network to program things...
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

Vic

...   And,  boB,

Forget,  this may have been touched on before,

Will the MN batt I sensing device also allow measuring the actual battery voltage -- ala Kelvin -- and allow Classics to use this during Abs and EQ ?

That would be even cooler.  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

TomW

boB, Robin, Ryan, et al;

I find it very refreshing to see a manufacturer with such a commitment to dialog with and useful responses to users. Very good all around, I figure. Better products and happy customers.

Now all you guys need to do is stop taking weekends and nights off and get to work implementing these ideas.   ;) Or start outsourcing to China / India.  :o Kidding about outsourcing  ::)

Thanks from a satisfied customer who wishes you made inverters when I bought mine.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

crunnells

Quote from: TomW on January 30, 2013, 04:15:34 PM
boB, Robin, Ryan, et al;

I find it very refreshing to see a manufacturer with such a commitment to dialog with and useful responses to users. Very good all around, I figure. Better products and happy customers.

Now all you guys need to do is stop taking weekends and nights off and get to work implementing these ideas.   ;) Or start outsourcing to China / India.  :o Kidding about outsourcing  ::)

Thanks from a satisfied customer who wishes you made inverters when I bought mine.

Tom

Couldn't have said it better myself.

dgd

Do I understand correctly that this battery monitor will be able to control a Classic's battery charging process?  (or several Classics?)
I'm thinking that the BM cotrols absorb  for a  LiFePO4 battery.

And  dare I suggest that if the BM is ethernet conneted, has a modern cpu/ram and flash storage that it does not get crippled with that
archaic MODBUS rubbish as its main method of extracting logged data OR specifying working parameters. Please use your software interface design engineer to implement a nice simple robust API    8)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

Quote from: dgd on January 31, 2013, 12:47:38 AM
Do I understand correctly that this battery monitor will be able to control a Classic's battery charging process?  (or several Classics?)
I'm thinking that the BM cotrols absorb  for a  LiFePO4 battery.

From what I have seen with LiFePO4 BMS', there is no absorb cycle.   They just want you to turn off when the voltage reaches
a certain set point.  MidNite will not be making a BMS, at least not at the moment.  Could do it I suppose but just look
at  the trouble Boeing is in even with a BMS.

And  dare I suggest that if the BM is ethernet conneted, has a modern cpu/ram and flash storage that it does not get crippled with that
archaic MODBUS rubbish as its main method of extracting logged data OR specifying working parameters. Please use your software interface design engineer to implement a nice simple robust API    8)

dgd

Our basic system won't be changing from modbus any time soon.  There might be some additional protocols though.
Modbus is just becoming a standard for RE/AE systems and a lot of customers either want it or don't care one way
or the other.   BTW, are you referring to generic RS-232/RS-485 modbus or modbus over TCP/IP ?

The one thing I don't care for about modbus is that the file transfer portion have limited packet size.

There will be a way, fairly soon, to recall the Classic logs from the USB which will not be modbus if that helps.

What comm protocols do you like and/or write code for ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: boB on January 31, 2013, 01:49:21 AM

From what I have seen with LiFePO4 BMS', there is no absorb cycle.   They just want you to turn off when the voltage reaches
a certain set point.  MidNite will not be making a BMS, at least not at the moment.  Could do it I suppose but just look
at  the trouble Boeing is in even with a BMS.

see from the pdf doc below the 500Ah cells charging info..
Note section re: battery Monitor
So BM that knows Battery usage can watch ABSORB time for one or more Classics (or use FOLLOW ME on Classics)
Note there is no BMS provided with, or AFAIK available for, these cells

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

dgd

Quote from: boB on January 31, 2013, 01:49:21 AM

dgd

Our basic system won't be changing from modbus any time soon.  There might be some additional protocols though.
Modbus is just becoming a standard for RE/AE systems and a lot of customers either want it or don't care one way
or the other.   BTW, are you referring to generic RS-232/RS-485 modbus or modbus over TCP/IP ?

The one thing I don't carye for about modbus is that the file transfer portion have limited packet size.

There will be a way, fairly soon, to recall the Classic logs from the USB which will not be modbus if that helps.

What comm protocols do you like and/or write code for ?

boB

Where to start? I can't see any necessary reason  to have the Classic communicating via 30+year old protocol that was designed for use PLC devices of 1970s vintage. Limited data structures support (eg no array, stack, record, file types..), good for the few registers/accumulators those PLCs had, master/slave configuation with serial comms performance suited to 110baud serial links. Polling registers continually to test for data changes/updates, no active register notification, ie no interrupt driven data change reporting,...  ad nau.seam. :'(
Ok modbus over ethernet offered some improvements but you can't  do much about its archaic design, awful polling interface, repetitive small data element retrieval to d/l any decent volume of data, cpu cycle waste at both master and slave ends, one-to-one active connection only (perhaps this explains why only one local app on one computer can connect to a Classic - ie  Modbus screws Ethernet), ad naus...

So what should the  comms protocol be?

I would tend to go for a top-down design of user interface rather  the bottom-up approach starting with a register level comms protocol.

Top for me would have been a built-in web server in the Classic. So accessing the Classic with a web browser would display a status page that went
on to various setup and reporting pages, grapichs displays etc.   Same for design of new BM.  Its not exactly rocket science to do this, when I look at the web interface in my Cisco/Netlink WET54G box
This, IMHO, would be a much more satisfying experience for Classic owners/users than dealing with  modbus dependant applications.
I won't mention the MN Local App, oops I did.. ???

dgd