Benefit of a Battery Capacity Meter in addition to a Magnum Battery Moniter?

Started by keithwhare, January 21, 2013, 08:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithwhare

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to help install a UPS-type system at a clinic in the south west corner of the Dominican Republic. The clinic typically has utility power for 4-8 hours a night, but no utility power during the day time. We are installing a Magnum MS4024 on an E-panel and will use 8 six-volt batteries in a 24-volt configuration. We are setting the system up so we can add solar later, but are not installing solar on this trip.

I have the Magnum remote control and the battery monitor kit so someone who learns the Magnum remote menus will be able to monitor the state of charge.

I've been wondering if the simpler interface of the Midnite Solar Battery Capacity Meter would offer enough of a benefit to justify the extra costs. Any thoughts on this?

Keith

TomW

Kieth;

Do not mistake me for an expert.

I do not know the Magnum Panel but we sure like the Midnite Battery Monitor (MNBM)!

At a glance battery status is very easy for the lay person to understand like my wife. Green is good, yellow is getting low red is critically low on state of charge. No numbers to remember. And it tracks how long since last full charge.

I do think the MNBM would be a useful addition to any system.

Ours is mounted 150 feet or so from the batteries which puts it conveniently in the house.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

Hi Keith, somewhere here boB or Robin wrote up the thinking behind the MN BCM and Tom has it about right on.
It was meant to show at a glance if the battery was well charged or needing charged and when the last full charge occurred. 
PS I really like the simplicity or the 2 portions of the display on mine.
2 thumbs up for the locale you are planning for.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

keithwhare

OK, I'm convinced. I went ahead and ordered a  MNBCMS from NAWS.

The location of the installation is due to my brother and sister-in-law. Jenny is a lab tech in a clinic at Batey Seven, a sugar cane village in south west DR. There is a generator of some sort that works some of the time, but better power would be useful.

The clinic is  18°20'12.39"N  71°15'16.84"W

Keith

keithwhare

I received the Midnite Battery Monitor (MNBMCMS) today. Looks good, but sure would be nice if the mounting holes lined up with a 4x4 electrical box.

Keith

Alanbrad

before installing it enquire well and then lead to your action. Magnun Battery monitor is quiet good while compared to others.