2 mismatched panels into the Classic?

Started by Wxboy, January 24, 2013, 11:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wxboy

I think I may have asked this question a while back but I can't find the thread so forgive me for the re-post but I don't remember the answer. 

I have 2 mis-matched panels and I would like to experiment with hooking them both up to the Classic 150 in a series configuration.  Any potential problems with doing this?  I realize I'll lose an amp right off the bat from the larger panel and the Classic may have trouble finding the best power point for 2 different panels but as long as this won't cause any big problems I want to try it out. 

255 w mono panel
Vmpp-31.4
Impp-8.15
VOC-37.8
Isc-8.66

125 watt poly panel
Maximum Power at STC: 125 Watts
Optimum operating voltage: 18 Volts
Optimum operating current: 7.11 Amp
Open circuit voltage: 21.9 Volts
Short circuit current: 7.68 Amp
Midnite Classic 150, 765 watt array, Outback Radian GS4048A inverter, 200ah 48v agm battery bank

dbcollen

what you will get is the combined voltage from both panels at the amperage from the smaller panel. those 2 are actually not a bad match, there is only an amp difference.

Wxboy

I hooked up the panels in series today and so far so good.  Saw a peak of about 326 watts at high noon on a bright sunny cold day (22 degrees).  I think I would have had about 350 combined watts(combined panel ratings are 380w) with the big panel on the Classic and the small panel on a pwm but this configuration has it's advantages too.  With the pwm it only absorbs at 14.4 and I use 14.7 on the Classic.  Also the pwm only absorbs for 1 hr so if I turn on a load after an hour the pwm will only try to maintain 13.7 volts so it makes it harder to stay in absorb.  There are pros and cons to both setups but for now I'll stick with the series approach.  Also I can watch the Classic to see exactly how much power is coming in vs. using an amp meter on the pwm. 
Midnite Classic 150, 765 watt array, Outback Radian GS4048A inverter, 200ah 48v agm battery bank