Aux Outputs Feature Request

Started by Matrix, December 05, 2017, 03:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matrix

How hard (or possible) would it be in a future firmware update to have a couple extra additional settings  Aux 1 / Aux 2 that allowed for:

1.  A drop down selection of when the user wanted "Waste Not Hi" to turn on relative to the charge stage?  This way the user could select if Waste not began in Bulk, Absorb or Float.

And Equally Helpful ...

2. A user enter value based on decreasing Whiz Bang Jr Amps (for instance as the charge amps began to tapper during absorb)  for when "Waste Not Hi" turned on (similar to the End Amps setting)?  This way the user could enter the Amps at which waste not hi turned on as the amps began to tapper.

Example: Selecting Absorb and Entering 30 amps would not turn Waste Not Hi on until the charger was in Absorb and the charge current had tapered down to 30 amps.

Another Nice update would be in "SOC% Hi" (or perhaps "SOC% Lo")

3. A user set % value in "SOC% Hi" that would Turn the AUX on as the charge is rising at a specific SOC% ... but then a % value to turn off the Aux when the battery SOC% began to decrees down from 100%.

Example: As the charger begins to charge, the user could set an SOC% of say 85% that would turn on the Aux when the SOC reached 85% ... and then once at 100% SOC and the CC is in float,  as the SOC began to decrees due to loads, the User could set a value of say 98% SOC that would turn the Aux OFF (but not on the way up to 100% ... only on the way down from 100%.)

4. Also,  in "SOC% Hi"  As it is right now one can set the Aux on at 99% and off at 98% ... BUT if you set the value at 98% on,  Then you can only enter an off value of 93% ... a 5% spread gap.  And this gap of 5% follows all the way down the lower you set the on %.  Would be nicer if I could set the gap closer to 1-3% ... OR ... even better if I could set On at 85% but off at 99% AFTER the charger had reached 100% and was starting to discharge.  (see #3)

As it is right now,  I am stuck at the end of the Bulk stage going in and out of absorb.  My Waste not load is 850 watts,  my additional load is 200 watts for a total of 1050 ... and I am able to generate 1700 watts or more from the array ... BUT at the end of Bulk and the start of Absorb ... the Charger wants more than what is left (550 watts),  so the charger keeps turning Waste Not Hi Aux 1 off and on.  And keeps bouncing in and out of Bulk and Absorb,   And it just gets stuck there.

Sure would be nice to have a little more control over the variables that turned Aux  on and off. 
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S  with 7' of 4/0 cable
24 volt system /  Need 3200Whs Daily
My System Install

dgd

Over the years there have been many interesting suggestions for additional AUX controls.
Very few, if any, have been implemented as further development of the Classic appears to be low priority as other Midnite projects are resourced.
If you really need more control then using an external processor that uses modbus commands to get data from the Classic then provides additional relay switching, PWM outputs etc seems to be the way to go.
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Matrix

I wish I knew more about those things.  Seems like that is the way to go. 
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
My System Install

boB

What DGD said...  Plus...

I kinda like suggestion #2 and being able to start it when more power is available.

Using Waste-Not diversion mode is kind of not perfect in that a somewhat wider than
desirable range of voltage is necessary for it to operate and you noticed that it can
dig into your Absorb or Float somewhat by going back into Bulk slightly.  This is why,
in the TWEAKS menu, you can tell the Absorb  and EQ timers still count while the
waste not is operating.  This is because we assume the battery voltage is not
"too" low below the actual Absorb or EQ (or float) voltage set-points.

Thank you for the input Mr. / Mrs.  Matrix.

And yes, an external controller communicating vial modbus with the Classic can
make it do almost anything you could think of.  There are just not enough hours in
the day and night to work on all these great ideas.

But please keep them coming !  Doesn't hurt to talk about it.  Especially here.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ralph day

I just looked at the tweaks options and didn't see anything whereby you could do as you said boB.  Is it something in cryptic Midnite speak?  Menu 3 looks like a possibility.

Ralph

Matrix

Yes ... and the problem I am having,  its not that Waste Not Hi is not working on Aux 1 ... it's that near the end of the day as the power from the solar array starts to diminish,  the battery voltage starts doing a "dance" where it will reach the hi/lo state and sag back and forth as it turns Aux 1 on and off because the power from the array is no longer enough to sustain the Waste Not Hi load.  I is fine while the power from the array is there,  but as the sun sets,  Aux 1 turns on and off in about 5-15 second cycles.  This causes my inverter to turn off and on,  and my lights to flash each time the load comes back on.  And seems it would be hard on the electronics.

I have gone to using SOC, But the settings there are so limited,  I cannot turn it on until I hit 99%,  and it has to wait until battery drains down to 97% (no big deal),  before it turns off.  But in doing this,  on/off is only a once in a day occurrence and not something that keeps happening over and over as the power from the array diminishes. 

I guess the solution might be an external PWM controller ... but will that work off AUX 1?    I dont want to lose the whizbang on Aux  2.  I guess another solution would be changing my Waste Not Hi water heater excess dump to DC thus removing it form the inverter so my lights will not flash ... but then the amps go up so hi I would need to use #8 wire to the water heater. 

Ideas?
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

boB

Matrix, yes I see what you mean !   Great idea.... 
Maybe we can do something like this in the future but it won't happen right at the moment.... Sorry...

Aux 1 could have done PWM (higher frequency) but is limited to so many milliseconds right now.  Dang !

And Ralph, the TWEAKS menu item is DvrtCnt  which means Divert Count  enable/disable.

Normally enabled I think, it allows the Absorb counter to run if it is diverting which is usually
necessary in Waste-Not mode.

I really like the idea of being able to not have to have inverters turn on and off when waste not is used.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Matrix

Quote from: boB on December 12, 2017, 08:18:04 PM
Matrix, yes I see what you mean !   Great idea.... 
Maybe we can do something like this in the future but it won't happen right at the moment.... Sorry...

Aux 1 could have done PWM (higher frequency) but is limited to so many milliseconds right now.  Dang !

I really like the idea of being able to not have to have inverters turn on and off when waste not is used.

boB
Oh boB ... i did not recognize you ... you changed your Icon !!

Yes it is no hurry or worry.  Just would be nice to have sometime.  I think either the settings I suggested for Waste  Not Hi and/or SOC% hi would be about do the same thing. 

Right now I am having to use  SOC% Hi because this is the only way I can insure  I am not getting a lot of 5-15 second cycles on the Inverter at the end of the day. 

And By saying electronics I mean things like Fridge Compressors and control boards inside the fridge, computers, modems, etc.   I do not know how common it is .... but my Schneider Conext SW 4024 cause the LED lights to flash/sag once each time a big load like my diversion water heater element comes on.  Is that typical of inverter? I do not know.    But it does seem having that happen every 5-15 seconds would not be good for circuit boards and compressors.
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

Matrix

Is there a discussion somewhere about how to set up the Classic 150 for Modbus control?
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

krementz

I certainly would want more control, too. My waste-not setup is far from perfect.

Documentation for Modbus would be appreciated.
Way off grid
Old system: Outback 2524, 1200 W PV,  installed 2005, 384 amp hours
New System: 2 SMA 6048 with 2 Midnite Solar Classic 150 controllers, 5500 W PV, 1700 amp hours

Westbranch

Matrix, life on the bleeding edge is always a bit jittery, especially when dealing with electronics and pushing them  to their limits....  you may be able to have a lot more but I suspect 100.00 % is not achievable and also be able to keep it working full-time..

I am interested also but not to that level... Agree about light surging and fading.. really annoying.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Matrix

So WestBranch, is having your lights sag or flash when a heavy  load kicks on the inverter common? We had a party last night and every light in the house would flash when the well pump kicked on. My guess asked what is causing your lights to flash?

And by 100%, do you mean I probably will not be able to harvest 100% of the Excess power generated? Yes I kind of get that. So as for now,  I think for my purposes it would seem that SOC High is actually the best way to go (until / unless midnite decides to implement some suggested firmware updates... Hint hint). Since I cannot use a pwm setup. SOC percent High is similar to float hi, but with float hi you end up seeing the battery voltage sag every 5 to 15 seconds at the end of the day when there is a diversion load capturing excess  power on the system. And if like me your diversion is connected through the inverter and not off the battery, the inverter kicks in and out which causes those nasty sags or flashes of light
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

CDN-VT

Brown outs or deep flickers mean to me a lack of supply , small wire to a poor conection causing a voltage drop .
Thats when you need to sleuth it out . yse a DVM in Voltage on the DC & AC side to see where your getting the drop .

Under size wire for start-up loads is my mostly seen .

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Westbranch

VT nailed it, poor connection... took a few trips around to detect it.

however when it happens on the grid it can also be an imbalance between the feed lines, and then you have to convince the Utility to come out and fix it &/or stop your neighbour from turning on his big old WELDER...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

CDN-VT

So to see Imbalance of legs , you need two DVMs  hook across both legs & see what leg has been dragged down .
If the Neutral (Grid  feed  power ) is weak or is using your main ground for a failed service pole ground for the Grid transformer , then winks are all over . Use a DVM and never touch anything without a DVM , make sure with a dvm when the winks happen , power needs good feeds & AC needs great grounds..
So to make sure to use the back of your hand fingers pointed towards your face , the hair on your fingers will feel it & if its DC , you won't grab I seize on to a line ..

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels