The "LCD screen" of the Kid gone wild

Started by psp300639, March 02, 2015, 10:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psp300639

Quote from: Vic on March 02, 2015, 06:27:19 PM
Quote from: psp300639 on March 02, 2015, 05:34:13 PM
Hi Vic,    ...   maybe reducing the voltage will not be within the battery manufacturer recommendation. I m trying to salvage the situation hopefully, I'll try the recommendation to remove everything likes wires,  loads etc and let the kid rest for while. I'll keep posted for updates.

Vic said

Also wonder about setting the Current Limit in the KID to  something like 7 A.   Technically,  one might really want to limit the EQ Max current to about 5% of 20 Hr Capacity,  or approximately 7 A,  if your 140 AH rating is the 20 hour rating.

When EQing the Flooded banks here,  manually limit the EQ current to 5% of C,  maximum.

FWIW,  Vic

Hi Vic,

I always limit the charging amps to 3% of the battery capacity using the data of the Bogart engineering set up system recommendation. During the equalization cycle, I did notice the bubbling of the sulfuric acid, foul smell like rotten egg characteristics  and likewise the battery temperature compensation specific gravity test results will also taken into consideration. All those procedures mentioned were applied  using the Bogart TM2030 in tandem with the SC2030 and it works flawlessly for off grid system, Armed with those data and experience with the Bogart unit , I used those setpoint data parameters with the kid knowing and having identical setup system as the Bogart unit, unfortunately it does not perform as expected. I'll keep my fingers cross hopefully the LCD screen issues will be thing of the past. "High on LED and SOLAR" cheers.   

Halfcrazy

I have asked Mario and Raechel to read through this but I am semi confused. So did the Kid go back to working ok now or is it still showing the black boxes?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Raechel

Good morning all! I have been talking with Mario. I do need a clarification if the blocks occur when normally charging or if just when EQ-ing. Has rebooting the Kid made any difference at all? Could you please let me know what the serial number of that Kid is? If you would like to talk this over on the phone I would be more than happy to help. -Raechel 360 403 7207

Raechel

Also- have you calibrated it on both the PV and Battery sides?

psp300639

Quote from: Halfcrazy on March 03, 2015, 11:19:57 AM
I have asked Mario and Raechel to read through this but I am semi confused. So did the Kid go back to working ok now or is it still showing the black boxes?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I attempted twice to do the Equalization cycles in both cases the LCD screen would behave unusual and the end results those Black boxes appears on the screen as explain earlier. I never attempted to continue the EQ process knowing something is not working properly. I proceeded to disconnect the PV and Battery wires at the terminal block of the kid. Since then I never commission the kid into service.

psp300639

Quote from: Raechel on March 03, 2015, 01:41:15 PM
Good morning all! I have been talking with Mario. I do need a clarification if the blocks occur when normally charging or if just when EQ-ing. Has rebooting the Kid made any difference at all? Could you please let me know what the serial number of that Kid is? If you would like to talk this over on the phone I would be more than happy to help. -Raechel 360 403 7207

Hi Raechel,

Quote from my earlier post

Hi Vic

The kid work as expected during the normal cycle got the shunt and whizbang jr connected and working properly as well. It's only during the equalization cycles will the LCD screen behaves unusual. All loads were disconnected and the only wires connected to the kid were the PV and Battery nothing else. What causes the LCD screen to behave abnormal. Any thoughts?

psp300639

Quote from: Raechel on March 03, 2015, 01:41:15 PM
xxxxxx.  If you would like to talk this over on the phone I would be more than happy to help. -Raechel 360 403 7207

Good evening Raechel thanks for your concern. As much as I wanted and eager to know the cause the unusual behavior of the KID, I think that's not possible because of our time zone differences of 15+ hours and the approximate distance of 12,704 km. it will not be cost effective for me to make the IDD long distance calls,  anyway NAWS had responded to my last three emails I send them regarding the issues and concern.

Raechel

psp300639

Quote from: Raechel on March 04, 2015, 10:53:04 AM
Has the issue been fixed?

Hi Raechel, 

I never attempted to powered up the Kid again, all the PV and Battery wires were temporarily disconnected at its terminal block. Besides its only during weekends we have immediate family members around. I don't want the unit powered up and left it unattended knowing its present condition, maybe this coming weekends I'll try to commission it again, so I'll have all day long to observe its behavior. It's already March 5 and 5:40 in the morning by 7:30 have to report for work. 

psp300639

Quote from: Raechel on March 03, 2015, 01:41:15 PMxxxxx. Could you please let me know what the serial number of that Kid is?

Hi Raechel

I have been trying to locate the serial numbers, I tried opening the back plate cover of  the kid, unfortunately cannot locate them either inside or outside the unit. Can you be of help?

Doug

Hi Psp,
It should be on the bottom on the same sticker that has the ETL logo,

Doug

psp300639

Quote from: Doug on March 05, 2015, 10:39:22 AM
Hi Psp,
It should be on the bottom on the same sticker that has the ETL logo,

Doug

Hi Doug

The one labelled on the sticker with "alphanumeric" characters with combination of "Bar Code"? Hopefully this should be the one. Thanks Doug.

Doug

Yep, That's the one.
Starts with KB or KW.

Doug

psp300639

Good morning to all. It's Saturday once again the time is 7:30AM, I just finished setting up the "Kid", hopefully the weather will cooperate all day, I'll be on waiting mode.

psp300639

Quote from: Doug on March 06, 2015, 12:53:45 PM
Yep, That's the one.
Starts with KB or KW.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Off topic question, but I'm just curious what's the difference between the series code starting "KB" and "KW"? Could be "Kid Black" and the other "Kid White" in reference to the color model of the kid?