Classic lite keeps turning on and off during the day

Started by dapdan, August 20, 2017, 03:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

All,

Does anyone have any experience with the classic controller relay going on and off during the day. It does so about every 5mins or so. I have checke all the connections input and output all good, there are also no connections to any of aux inputs. What I have also noticed is that on the classic monitor it does not register power going out. All of the gauges show input (pv volts, pv amp, battey volts etc) but no power out. The status is being shown correctly, eg. bulk stage or resting when it does go off inexplicably. The thing is this controller has been working like a champ for years until now. I had it offline(not in use for a couple of months) and did a re-install at a different location yesterday and it has not been functioning properly since. The strange things is that when it is on it output power (checked with a DC clamp meter) it just doesn't show it on the classic monitor and then also continually re-boots.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I am attempting an upgrade to FW2126 to see if that make a difference.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers...
Damani

Vic

Hi Damani,

Have you checked all of the connections of the PVs and in the Combiner (if any)?

When the Classic is producing power,  what is the Vin, on the left of the MNGP (if it has one),   and what is the battery voltage at that time?

When the relay opens,   the Classic should be resting,   and there should be a RFR (Reason For Resting),   that you can see,   and the RFR List in the Classic FAQ Topic area:
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=2034.0

Think that the Local App also will show the RFR number.

For the Classic to perform at its best,   the PV input voltage to the Classic should be about 30% higher than the battery voltage at that moment.

Thanks for the answers,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dapdan

Vic,

Yes I have checked all pv connections with my clamp meter and they are carrying current. when producing power pv in is approx. 93V and battery voltage is 26.4V.

When relay opens it says low light reason 5.(Status: 5 low light)

Thanks for the query vic

Cheers...
Damani

Vic

OK,  Damani, thanks for the info.

93 Vin on a 26 V battery voltage is fine.

If there is ANY Shading on the PVs for this Classic, that could cause Resting.

If you have not yet checked EVERY DC connection from each PV module,  to the Combiner,   and EVERY connection in the Combiner,    it is a very good idea,  as screw connections on breakers can loosen,   and can cause poor solar production,  which can appear to be low light to the CC.

Try rechecking the Torque on all screw connections,  EVERYWHERE,    all of the way to the Classic,    and,   even from the Classic to the breaker/battery (that should give a different symptom)   ...   these connections DO loosen in time.

Another battery charge source would give a different RFR ...   so,  that should not be the reason ...

Thinking ...   Thanks,  Good Luck,   Vic

You should also check all of the MC  connector connections at the PVs for good connections.
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

dapdan

Vic,

I will double check of all of those connections tmr as it is dark and wont have any amps coming in. I recently installed the controller in its new location so all of the connections are very tight to the point where they are making the squeaky noise when you torque them. Ill check the mc 4 connections tmr. I am pretty sure they are ok cause I would have shorted the home run wire from the 3 panels(love to see the plasma arc). I re-check never the less. I report back early in the a.m.

Cheers...
Damani

dapdan

All,

ok, new day. I thought I would just cede to Vic's request and check those connects. All checked, MC4s, breakers, controllers and all is well. If I tried to torque any further they would probably break or strip. I am still getting the on and off relay clicking even as I type. I think i may have to kick this up to Midnite for them to advise. Thing is there are only 3 large panels in the array and they are very close by nearly ground level, so very easy to check. There isn't any possibly of shading where they are located (no trees or structures are close). Heck, I even swapped out the lite blank face for a MNGP from another controller (I currently have 3 installed) and the GP gives the same reading as the status panel, which is not showing an output power or amps into the battery, but when the cable are checked there is current being delivered to the batteries and from the panels. I think there is an issue with the controller.

Cheers...
Damani

dapdan

All,

Ok, just created the ticket. Hope to hear from Midnite soon. I hope I don't have to send it back as I am in the Caribbean and it not an easy undertaking to send stuff back to the states, just saying. If I do have to return the unit, then so be  it.

Cheers...
Damani

Vic

OK Damani,   Thanks for checking all connections.

Had wondered about some possible lightning damage to the Classic,   as it would seem that you might get quite a bit  of it,   there.

Good Luck,    Vic

Westbranch

Damani, hope you are going to get through IRMA...  good luck!
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

australsolarier

have you tried changing "solar mode" from SOLAR to Legacy P&O ?

on a clear sunny day with not a cloud in the horizon that cycling of low light and then starting up again happened to me when the charger was in "solar". after changing the legacy P&O this did not ever happen again. that "solar" mode seems to be more trouble than good.

boB

Tech support will most likely ask you the "Reason For Resting"  (RFR) number

From main status, hold down the left arrow key and while holding it, press the ENTEr key.

What is the top-middle number ?

This should give us an indication of why it last went to resting.  Very handy.

Still have to look up the number in a list usually though.  Should be on this forum somewhere...

I am curious what your RFR number turns out to be during the day.  Might want to check it a couple
of times after going to Resting to make sure there isn't more than one reason.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me