Monitoring App

Started by big_boxtruck, July 28, 2022, 02:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big_boxtruck

I know there are a few user created apps for monitoring, but I find it surprising Midnite doesn't offer anything like you see with competing brands? 
Here is what victron has for its ecosystem:https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/559850363750973453/1002037478322089994/FBA5E29A-9C11-4A41-BAB8-EFD6E9791E7C.jpg

Maybe I am the only midnite user trying to make a small off grid setup work? I suspect you don't see midnite in many van/RVs because the monitoring aspect is stuck in the 1990's

Would be really nice to have a simple interface for showing trends, and battery SOC, go-nogo on if you will hit float based on your current loads/generation.

ClassicCrazy

Which Midnite controller are you using ?
There is MyMidnite that works with Classic as it uploads to the Midnite servers.
Also Grahams Classic Monitoring app for Android available on Playstore is good interface for Classic and easy enough to set up and use.

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

big_boxtruck

I have a classic 150, but my internet connection is not reliable. Its better since starlink but still as we move around I cant guarantee to always have access to the cloud.

I have an old tablet that I used to run the android app but it's finally bit the dust. The Status 4 plus PC program works ok but both seem geared towards people wanting to watch how much power they are making and less about watching your consumption/battery state.

Either way I find it weird that Midnite is leaving it up to the community to develop monitoring solutions.

boB

You are correct.  We (MidNite) are very slow in designing such applications although we have been working on one for a few years now.

Bluetooth that is...

That being said,  the problem is that we do not have the resources (engineers) to develop these types of things rapidly.

Sorry that this is all the hope I can give you at the moment.  We are working on these things though.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Wizbandit

I have the basic data gathering code done and made some graphs & gauges for what "I" want to see.  I have not done much work on code this year waiting on the hardware to be built so I can get a few beta sites up.  I want to get feedback on what users want to see so I can move the code in that direction. The last project I just completed was a simple, no frills WEB Based configuration page, which was not easy as I'm using Python and some integrated HTML modules to display and get data into my code from a WEB Page.

boB

Quote from: Wizbandit on August 01, 2022, 12:06:38 PM
I have the basic data gathering code done and made some graphs & gauges for what "I" want to see.  I have not done much work on code this year waiting on the hardware to be built so I can get a few beta sites up.  I want to get feedback on what users want to see so I can move the code in that direction. The last project I just completed was a simple, no frills WEB Based configuration page, which was not easy as I'm using Python and some integrated HTHL modules to display and get data into my code from a WEB Page.

I LIKE it  !!

You're a whiz whoever you are !  🤡
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

big_boxtruck

Quote from: Wizbandit on August 01, 2022, 12:06:38 PM
I have the basic data gathering code done and made some graphs & gauges for what "I" want to see.  I have not done much work on code this year waiting on the hardware to be built so I can get a few beta sites up.  I want to get feedback on what users want to see so I can move the code in that direction. The last project I just completed was a simple, no frills WEB Based configuration page, which was not easy as I'm using Python and some integrated HTML modules to display and get data into my code from a WEB Page.

Wow I really like the look of what you have done.

The thing that is lacking (and is also lacking on N1GNN's program) is battery state of charge (the android app does this well). Being truly off grid and not having an abundance of energy storage or generation means I have to pay closer attention to to my loads to prevent damaging my lead acid batteries. Making decisions about turning on/off the airconditioner or other loads I look at the state of charge and WBJr current.

Also lacking is DC load which shows the difference between the MNC output amps and the WBJr Amps.

I often am estimating when its safe to turn things on or off based on sky conditions, time, and State of charge. Having some smarter indicators that could use the average power generated and state of charge to estimate how long till you hit float and at night how many hours you can run at the current draw would be really handy for adjusting loads.

I guess most people have much bigger systems compared to their typical loads and so don't care as much? For people in mobile setups you typically are living within what you can fit on the rig.

big_boxtruck

Quote from: boB on July 29, 2022, 05:18:20 PM
You are correct.  We (MidNite) are very slow in designing such applications although we have been working on one for a few years now.

Bluetooth that is...

That being said,  the problem is that we do not have the resources (engineers) to develop these types of things rapidly.

Sorry that this is all the hope I can give you at the moment.  We are working on these things though.

That's too bad. The user interface is what seems to be steering people I have talked to within the van/schoolie/tinyhome community to your competitors.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: big_boxtruck on August 09, 2022, 04:15:19 PM

I often am estimating when its safe to turn things on or off based on sky conditions, time, and State of charge. Having some smarter indicators that could use the average power generated and state of charge to estimate how long till you hit float and at night how many hours you can run at the current draw would be really handy for adjusting loads.

I guess most people have much bigger systems compared to their typical loads and so don't care as much? For people in mobile setups you typically are living within what you can fit on the rig.

Take a look at the Classic Aux Functions - you can use some of those to turn loads on and off by different criteria like extra power above absorb or float or SOC, voltage, etc  .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Wizbandit

If you want to graph SOC% all you need to do is make a graph or panel and select the SOC% value.  I don't have it displayed because I'm grid-tied selling so my SOC % stays pretty much at 100%.  I guess if a hurricane blew the grid away I would take 2 minutes and make a SOC% graph.  As you can see, mine stays 99-100% all day. But it's just that easy.

qrper

Quote from: Wizbandit on August 15, 2022, 10:21:52 PM
If you want to graph SOC% all you need to do is make a graph or panel and select the SOC% value.  I don't have it displayed because I'm grid-tied selling so my SOC % stays pretty much at 100%.  I guess if a hurricane blew the grid away I would take 2 minutes and make a SOC% graph.  As you can see, mine stays 99-100% all day. But it's just that easy.

Really? Took me several evenings to make the LED blink on an Ardunio.

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

boB

Quote from: qrper on August 16, 2022, 01:20:10 PM

Really? Took me several evenings to make the LED blink on an Ardunio.

Mike

😅

it gets easier the more you practice those kinds of things.

Getting extremely hard to find people/techs that can do any of that stuff for some reason.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

It just takes a lot of time to learn how to do all that stuff.
There is a learning curve and it does get a bit easier after all the initial hours of frustration are put in figuring out simple mistakes.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable