News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Hawke's Bay testing in Texas

Started by Highflyer, August 21, 2021, 06:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highflyer

Well the extra panel did even better than I thought.  I was over 90 amps. I even tripped the 100 amp breaker at one point and I had to limit HB in software.  Now the 125 amp breaker is on the way!  I think I can add one more panel without hitting any of the limits.  Fingers crossed!
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

boB

Brian, I am guessing that this is the 120 and not a 90
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

Yes this HB is a 120 amp version.  I keep adding panels to see if I can find any warm spots with my thermal.  So far it is very cool and uniform (5000 watt production so far).  I am now simply going for the limits while waiting for new software to test.  And of course, I am seeing what I can capture in a day. The best day was 33.1 kWh with this string and a smaller array on Barcelona.  I am going for a 50kWh day. 

Man is this stuff solid.  And no drama.  It just works well.
Brian

Wizbandit

What really shows how the Hawkes Bay controllers shine is the graphed data.  I put a HB90 in place of a Classic 200 around 3/15.  It was a small array of eight 210W Sanyo PV modules I had in 2 strings of 4 with a VMP around 150VDC with 250 feet of #8 AWG underground wire. I put all the modules in series and jumped the VMP up to about 300VDC.  What a difference higher voltage makes on a long run. I peaked 1500 watts from a 1680 watt array on a 88 degree day.  Today we had clouds rolling through and the power graph shows the HB90 catching what we call "edge-of-cloud" effect which amplifies the power from an array briefly. It peaked 1700 watts from this, while small it does show how fast the Hawkes Bays can track and capture this minute amount of power.  The HB and Barcelona use what is called a PID control system which seems to be very efficient at tracking an array for maximum power. Call me impressed...

HB90.3.46.PRO.JPG

Highflyer

WB,
Yep, I also agree the edge of cloud was happening when the breaker tripped.  I also agree these charge controllers see and capture that energy very well.  So well I need a bigger breaker.  But not a bigger charge controller!
Brian

qrper

Quote from: Wizbandit on April 01, 2023, 07:35:07 PMWhat really shows how the Hawkes Bay controllers shine is the graphed data.  I put a HB90 in place of a Classic 200 around 3/15.  It was a small array of eight 210W Sanyo PV modules I had in 2 strings of 4 with a VMP around 150VDC with 250 feet of #8 AWG underground wire. I put all the modules in series and jumped the VMP up to about 300VDC.  What a difference higher voltage makes on a long run. I peaked 1500 watts from a 1680 watt array on a 88 degree day.  Today we had clouds rolling through and the power graph shows the HB90 catching what we call "edge-of-cloud" effect which amplifies the power from an array briefly. It peaked 1700 watts from this, while small it does show how fast the Hawkes Bays can track and capture this minute amount of power.  The HB and Barcelona use what is called a PID control system which seems to be very efficient at tracking an array for maximum power. Call me impressed...

HB90.3.46.PRO.JPG

Where did you get the software for the MNS combox? And where did you get the combox?

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

Wizbandit

QuoteWhere did you get the software for the MNS combox? And where did you get the combox?

Mike

I have worked for Midnite for over 10 years now, Applications Engineer, I help out in Tech Support and Sales.  I'm doing the code for the MNCOMBOX, it started out as a "see if I can do it" and has turned into a powerful development tool for the new products.  I started by writing code for the Classic's and DIY Inverters/DIY60 charge controller.

There are still a few issues to work out before it can be sold.  The Linux file system can crash if the power is just shut off and a safe shutdown is not applied.  I have setup code on the reset button to safely shut down the unit but no guarantee customers will use it.  Also since all the graphs and gauges can be customized on the dashboard that alone could be a phone support nightmare with callers asking for help customizing.  I think when we are ready to release it all support will be directed to here on the forum. Only basic hook-up will be available from phone support.   

LilMT

Very cool.  For the shutdown stuff, have you thought about putting a very small battery in the system so that when loss of power is detected, it could trigger a clean shutdown?  Just an idea.
Thanks,
LilMT

Classic 250, 3s2p Trina Solar 405watt, 8 Renogy 200ah for 48V 400ah, Magnasine 4448 inverter.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Wizbandit on April 04, 2023, 09:40:47 AM
QuoteWhere did you get the software for the MNS combox? And where did you get the combox?

Mike

I have worked for Midnite for over 10 years now, Applications Engineer, I help out in Tech Support and Sales.  I'm doing the code for the MNCOMBOX, it started out as a "see if I can do it" and has turned into a powerful development tool for the new products.  I started by writing code for the Classic's and DIY Inverters/DIY60 charge controller.

There are still a few issues to work out before it can be sold.  The Linux file system can crash if the power is just shut off and a safe shutdown is not applied.  I have setup code on the reset button to safely shut down the unit but no guarantee customers will use it.  Also since all the graphs and gauges can be customized on the dashboard that alone could be a phone support nightmare with callers asking for help customizing.  I think when we are ready to release it all support will be directed to here on the forum. Only basic hook-up will be available from phone support.   

If I could just get the basic Canbus data  to put into my grafana graphs it would be helpful. I already have a canbus adapter so don't need a combox , it would be great to be able to read the Hawkes Bay just like I already do for the Classics, Jakiper batteries, energy monitors, esp32 devices, etc. I won't be calling phone support .
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Wizbandit

MNCANBUS uses the 29bit extended arbitration ID.  Bits 0-6 are BUS ID, bits 7-10 are DEVICE INDEX, bits 11-17 are DEVICE type and bits 18-28 are REGISTER ADDRESS.  You will need to decode the ARB-ID and extract this information.

Hawkes Bay Device type is 0x2b
Bus ID is assigned but you can check it with the MNGP2
Register 0x0a0 is BATTERY REGISTER and contains 8 bytes. It is streamed 250ms.
Bytes 0-1 are BATTERY VOLTAGE (x10)
Bytes 2-3 are BATTERY CURRENT (x10)
Bytes 4-7 are BATTERY WATTS (x100)

All are unsigned integers.  The bytes need to be joined, I make them into a HEX String so I can use Python to join the strings then decode to an Integer.  You could do bit manipulation to get the data. I find the string method easier.

If you manage to not be lost at this point and manage to decode the battery register I can give you a few more.  You would not be able to read the CANSPEC as it is, it has some errors with engineers that didn't follow it when attaching variables to the CAN ENGINE. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to give out a copy of it anyway.

QuoteIf I could just get the basic Canbus data  to put into my grafana graphs it would be helpful. I already have a canbus adapter so don't need a combox , it would be great to be able to read the Hawkes Bay just like I already do for the Classics, Jakiper batteries, energy monitors, esp32 devices, etc. I won't be calling phone support .
Larry

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Wizbandit on April 04, 2023, 07:03:18 PMMNCANBUS uses the 29bit extended arbitration ID.  Bits 0-6 are BUS ID, bits 7-10 are DEVICE INDEX, bits 11-17 are DEVICE type and bits 18-28 are REGISTER ADDRESS.  You will need to decode the ARB-ID and extract this information.

Hawkes Bay Device type is 0x2b
Bus ID is assigned but you can check it with the MNGP2
Register 0x0a0 is BATTERY REGISTER and contains 8 bytes. It is streamed 250ms.
Bytes 0-1 are BATTERY VOLTAGE (x10)
Bytes 2-3 are BATTERY CURRENT (x10)
Bytes 4-7 are BATTERY WATTS (x100)

All are unsigned integers.  The bytes need to be joined, I make them into a HEX String so I can use Python to join the strings then decode to an Integer.  You could do bit manipulation to get the data. I find the string method easier.

If you manage to not be lost at this point and manage to decode the battery register I can give you a few more.  You would not be able to read the CANSPEC as it is, it has some errors with engineers that didn't follow it when attaching variables to the CAN ENGINE. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to give out a copy of it anyway.

QuoteIf I could just get the basic Canbus data  to put into my grafana graphs it would be helpful. I already have a canbus adapter so don't need a combox , it would be great to be able to read the Hawkes Bay just like I already do for the Classics, Jakiper batteries, energy monitors, esp32 devices, etc. I won't be calling phone support .
Larry

Thanks !
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

Quote from: Wizbandit on April 04, 2023, 09:40:47 AM

Mike

I've always been envious of folks like you—that speak the language of computers—that I don't understand.

I'm an old analog type of guy, so I guess I'll have to wait until the code is put to bed and released. Looks great, I must say.

mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

boB

Mike, if you have a PC of some sort, you can play with Python and watch YouTube videos about it.

Some of the combox is done in Python.  Very handy little language for controlling things with your computer.

Just have to play play and play and you eventually get the hang of it.

I played with Python for a while but not enough to be good at it.   We can never spend the time to be real good at any one thing.  Otherwise, we will forget what we DID get good at !

I preferred C language and assembler.  It's all just a sequence of instructions.

A script so to speak.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

qrper

Quote from: boB on April 06, 2023, 04:03:29 PMMike, if you have a PC of some sort, you can play with Python and watch YouTube videos about it.

Some of the combox is done in Python.  Very handy little language for controlling things with your computer.

Just have to play play and play and you eventually get the hang of it.

I played with Python for a while but not enough to be good at it.  We can never spend the time to be real good at any one thing.  Otherwise, we will forget what we DID get good at !

I preferred C language and assembler.  It's all just a sequence of instructions.

A script so to speak.

boB

A few years back, I purchased a raspberry Pi thingiee, and had to install several programs one of which was Python. Took a long time to get it installed on my pc. In that case, it was a window's thing as the Python installer didn't like the window auto installer. I figured it out and was running a classic monitoring app. For the life of me, I can't recall who the author of the program was. I use it now and then, but prefer the android version that Graham coded

Several years back, I designed a remote antenna switch based on an Ardunio. I had even written up a construction article for QST. I'm no coder, and my attempt, while it did work, was some of the most half-assed constructed code ever unleashed my a human.

I scrapped the project and moved on.

Mike, wb8vge

boB

My biggest issue when installing someone else's Python code is that usually there are all these

libraries that needed installing to make that one simple program work. It is not fun.

I can copy and paste functions pretty much though.  Assembly language is easier for me than fooling around with all this.

Same thing with C++ programs and some times plain old C programs.

There are so many dependencies that I usually give up.  OLD windows Visual studio 6 were easier when I had Microsoft's complete example libraries.

So, I usually prefer to write my own software from scratch where I am much more successful.

You are not alone.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me