MNLP

Started by dgd, March 06, 2013, 08:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

I just acquired an MNLP which I want to use with a Classic 150. I have removed the MNGP a few times, unplugging the blue cable, while the 150 was running. Reattaching the MNGP was ok and everything worked good.  Is the same true for the MNLP?  Are the dip switch settings only read at power on time?   Can't see anything in the manual about this or have I missed it?

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Halfcrazy

If the dip switches are not set to custom the MNLP "Will" send its settings to the Classic when it is plugged in. Basically anytime the MNLP is powered it sends its settings as well as anytime a change is made on the MNLP.

Again "Custom" will defeat this

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dgd

Thanks Ryan,
I'm just curious to know if a classic will start up and run without an MNGP or MNLP attached?
First time is there a default  IP address and will it autodetect the battery voltage?
I would expect the mode to be OFF but it should not matter about any other setup parameters to get it going.
Of course once set up repowering should be ok as it remembers the data? or is the remembering done in the MNGP/MNLP?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

dgd

Some trial and error playing about with my Classics and I have la rgely answered my previous questions..

Quote from: dgd on March 07, 2013, 11:17:24 PM
I'm just curious to know if a classic will start up and run without an MNGP or MNLP attached?
First time is there a default  IP address

A classic will start up without and MNGP or MNLP, the default IP address is 192.168.0.223
Using a laptop its easy to set up a LAN with 192.168.0.0 network and via a hub access the Classic , run the local app on the laptop and set up the Classic.
If the IP number has been previously set to something different then that IP number is retained when the Classic is restarted without MNGP/MNLP.

and will it autodetect the battery voltage?
it seems to be ok starting with any battery voltage then can be local app'ed to what it should be

The only problems/issues I can find is the time/date settings can't be done, follow me can't work as there is no way to set the
Classics to different IDs (10, 11,12 etc.), and even if one Classic has an MNGP the time/date doesn't get from it to the other Classic Lites. Its also a pain having to use the MNGP plugged into each lite in turn to set ID/times, but that is a good solution for these issues if the Lites are not power cycled very often.
Maybe that unused MNLP dip switch s2-8 could be used to select device id 10 or 11 or maybe 11/12 as its likely another classic with MNGP will be 10.
Or if Lite was default 11 and normal classic default 10 then an ultraLite with blank cover in place of MNLP would be an option for those wanting to add a second classic where existing one had an MNGP

dgd

Halfcrazy

Actually Follow Me does not use the addressing. That is only for your viewing pleasure from a single MNGP. So you could wire up 10 Lites and use the App to set Follow Me.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time