Programing a Classic Lite with a MNGP

Started by WindFarmer, April 22, 2013, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindFarmer

We are installing the Classic Lite for 2 of our new solar off-grid customers to keep their cost down. We are using the MNGP to program the controllers because we wanted to dial the set points in a little closer to the battery manufactures specs. 

The manual states "In Dip Switch Section 1set DIP Switches 1, 2, 3, and 4 to ON." but makes no reference to switches 5, 6 &7 "battery type" except in the dip switch table.

I turned switches 1 thru 7 to on or custom (with the power off) then pulled the plug from the MNLP and into the MNGP, set my absorb, float and eq voltages. At that time I also set my absorb time to 4 hrs. After the input of each of these I observed something like "data has been sent to controller". After I was done I pulled the plug from the MNGP and back into the MNLP, then cycled the power.

I noticed that the Classic Lite went out of absorb about an hour later. Did I do something wrong in my programing or dip switch configuration?

Any hints on working with the Classic Lite would be very appreciated. 

Westbranch

where was it on the B/A/Float line when you made the changes? time of Day?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

WindFarmer

It was about 3 pm when I did the initial setup.... I guess I don't understand "where was it on the B/A/Float line when you made the changes?"

Westbranch

from what you say it may have still been in Absorb but was probably in Float. 
If that was the case it is acting normally by going back to Absorb.  Did you set the End Amps ? That would terminate Absorb.
Check it out tomorrow through a full charge cycle to confirm it is using the new settings.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Sounds like you are going in the right direction.

B/A  I believe stands for Bulk/Absorb.  Not sure what on the line means though.

Do you know what the version of Classic and MNGP code is ?  Remember that the
Classic Lite is the same thing as a regular Classic except without the MNGP
and arc fault circuit of course.

We had older MNLP remotes for the Lites that didn't quite shut-up when they were
supposed to and would re-initialize their Classics.  So the serial number of the
Classic Lite might help to determine if there is a problem there or not.

But, you should be able to adjust things like you were trying to  set it and forget it.

As Westbranch suggests, if the Ending Amps were adjusted up too high, that could
terminate the Absorb cycle early.  But assuming you did not adjust that, maybe
everything is OK ?

When you connected the MNGP to the Classic, was there a minimum and maximum
Absorb time ?  Or just Absorb time by itself ?  If just the one setting, the Classic should
Absorb for the 4 hours you set it to so you might also check to see if plugging the MNLP
back to the Classic has reset some of the settings in the Charge Time menu that you
set the Absorb time in.  It might be that you have an older MNLP and it is resetting
the Classic.  Get that serial number if you can.  When you plug the MNGP back in,
you can read the CLassic serial number in the 4th or 5th STATUS screen or on the
side of the Classic on the sticker.  On that STATUS screen with the serial number,
you can also read the Classic's code version and date as well as the MNGPs
code version.  This information will help to determine what is possible.

Thanks,
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

WindFarmer

As always thanks for the info boB.

At this moment I do not have the s/n for the Classic Lite, but I will be traveling back out to the site tomorrow..... I did not change the "ending amps" and I did remember a "maximum & minimum" on the absorb time.....I purchased a few of these Lites last Fall......there is no internet access at this site.........info before I make the 100 mile r/t would be a bonus.

Again thanks for the great info. 

Peace, WF