Lite, local app questions

Started by zoneblue, June 28, 2013, 11:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoneblue

I gather from a march thread that there is no way to set the date/time on the lite. Thats a pity. Can you give me some clue as to how to match dates to the offline export data?

2. I have the ground fault jumper on, and the manual said to set the jumper AND turn it on in the local app. However that whole pane starting arc fault is greyed out. Is ground fault on or not?

I was having a lot of problems with the local app dissconnecting (on static ip) until i updated to the latest local app, air. Seems lots more stable now, and less bizzarre numbers appearing here and there.

Cheers

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

TomW

Quote from: zoneblue on June 28, 2013, 11:00:07 PM

2. I have the ground fault jumper on, and the manual said to set the jumper AND turn it on in the local app. However that whole pane starting arc fault is greyed out. Is ground fault on or not?

Cheers

You need to enter the serial number (in the first config screen) to access those screens. Be sure to click the little blue arrow to the right at the bottom to save it. That should get those screens active.

That got me in the beginning.

Not sure if it is active until you actually set it in ther Local App.

Good luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

RossW

Quote from: TomW on June 28, 2013, 11:34:29 PM
You need to enter the serial number (in the first config screen) to access those screens. Be sure to click the little blue arrow to the right at the bottom to save it. That should get those screens active.

Not sure if it is active until you actually set it in ther Local App.

If the lite behaves like the others, my utility will set the classic time to your system time (which it presumes to be "right") if you use the -t switch.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

zoneblue

You need to enter the serial number (in the first config screen) to access those screens.

Thanks Tom.  I have the serial in, and it shows most of the settings ok except the pane begnning arc fault. Arc fault isnt installed on the lite, but ground interupt is.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100

dgd

Quote from: zoneblue on June 29, 2013, 06:42:49 PM
You need to enter the serial number (in the first config screen) to access those screens.

Thanks Tom.  I have the serial in, and it shows most of the settings ok except the pane begnning arc fault. Arc fault isnt installed on the lite, but ground interupt is.

I always thought a LITE could be upgraded to a standard Classic by installing the MNGP
I wonder if there is some reason why arc fault in not installed on the LITE?
Can it be installed later? 

..update
I just used the local app to connect to my Classic Lite (ser 6191), config -> tech and scroll down to FEATURES pane, enable arc fault box and greyed out boxes for Mode, Time(s) and Sensitivity could be adjusted. Does this mean my LITE has arc fault detection?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

zoneblue

Ok Now im confused.  My firmware is from aug 12, so not sure if thats part of it. Will try to update it shortly. But i do need to know if ground fault is working, its a safety issue.

Photowhit

Ground Fault Protection should work on all Classic Charge Controllers, the Lite versions do NOT offer Arc fault Protection. Arc Fault is a different creature, and can be finicky being triggered by motors.
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

atop8918

Hi,
Arc fault is NOT available on Lite Classics. The appearance in the Local App is a Local App bug.

Thanks!
-Andrew

zoneblue

Andrew,

Can you confirm that the ground fault is active even if its not turned on under local app, tech section?

dgd

Quote from: atop8918 on July 04, 2013, 08:02:15 AM
Arc fault is NOT available on Lite Classics. The appearance in the Local App is a Local App bug.

Quelle surprise!   Not a mention anywhere in the lite docs that Arc fault is not provided in the LITEs.
The description (by Phil Lane) extolls the LITE virtues and its great value (bang for the bucks- saving $150) compared to the normal Classic.
Considering all the trumpeting concerning the ARC fault detection capability of the Classic (the only controller with this!!) then to find out in this forum it is NOT included is, I imagine, disappointing for LITE customers and probably means the LITEs are significantly poorer value than a normal Classic.
Whoever at MN decided to omit this feature, saving a few cents in hardware, certainly dropped the ball from a marketing and PR viewpoint.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

Westbranch

Not sure of my logic is right but if thee Lite is used in conjunction with a regular Classic, does the Arc fault in a Lite not become irrelevant? 
I am assuming that you only need one of the CCs to have it...???

Is this logic correct?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

dgd

NEC2011 requires serial arc fault detection with roof mounted PVs with 80+V from pv string and AS/NZS5033 requires similar (I would need to check this). So arc fault detection provided by Classic is significant in cost savings where external arc fault detection needs to be installed. This one feature puts MN Classic heads above the competition.
The arc fault detection in Classic would be with the PV array connected to that Classic so I doubt a proper Classic would detect an arc fault in a PV array connected to a LITE even though both are connected to the same battery bank.  Hopefully I am wrong, maybe follow me does something smart here or I misunderstand the arc fault detection logic.
It still means those with LITEs only face extra $ to implement serial arc fault detection.
Of course the LITE could be intended for those whose PV arrays are not mounted on their residence hence fire risk is less significant
OR PV dc voltage will always be below 80V.
I suppose the insurance company/fire risk inspectors will have the last say..  ::)

dgd

Photowhit

It was clear to me when purchasing the Classic Lite that it did not include arc fault protection. I think Northern Arizona Wind and Sun has the lowest prices on the Classic Lite, and they made it clear that that was one of the differences.

My understanding is NEC will require Arc Fault in all array installations in the next revision, though I could be wrong. (or perhaps that's for the AC side of things) but I live in Missouri where I believe we're still using NEC 2005, and of course, usually once up and running, you aren't required to update to new code.

Fires at the array are very rare, and there isn't much to burn in a solar panel, silicon, glass, aluminum will burn at high enough temps and the tedar is not easily burnable. Though I guess arc fault might help with wiring problems.
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

boB

Arc fault was required in the 2011 NEC but people ignore it.

Our understanding is that inspectors don't care about off grid very much.

Eventually this will matter most likely.   Try to go out and buy another charge
controller that has arc fault now.  Maybe when more controllers have it, it will
matter more to inspectors.  Midnite is just way ahead of the game as far as
arc fault goes.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me