Firmware updating, 1st went simple, 2nd no luck....

Started by Photowhit, June 30, 2013, 09:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Photowhit

Well, perhaps it's something simple...

I updated the firmware on the first of 2 Classic lite charge controllers and everything went fine.

So I have the updated driver info and connect the 2nd.

I get the message com port 8 in use or doesn't exist(something like that)

So is com port 8 only going to work with the first CC now? How do I address the 2nd charge controller?

I did restart the computer...

Any ideas?
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

Photowhit

I finally uninstalled the update utility program and reinstalled it and it worked fine.

So I went to connect to local status Panel and the first one went fine and the 2nd can't be found.... very frustrating... I've changed the IP address of the original Classic but can't connect to the 2nd one at all on any of 192.168... addresses, yes I've bounce the laptops address around as well, and re connected the original and it's recognized right away.

I've set it up for Follow me and have it wired. I don't suppose that's creating a problem?

They actually are more in sync than they have been, so I guess some sharing is going on... I get one short blue blip then one long one... Kinda a one sided conversation....lol.

I'm going to start a post on the software forum....
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

boB

Quote from: Photowhit on July 03, 2013, 10:46:53 AM
I finally uninstalled the update utility program and reinstalled it and it worked fine.

So I went to connect to local status Panel and the first one went fine and the 2nd can't be found.... very frustrating... I've changed the IP address of the original Classic but can't connect to the 2nd one at all on any of 192.168... addresses, yes I've bounce the laptops address around as well, and re connected the original and it's recognized right away.

I've set it up for Follow me and have it wired. I don't suppose that's creating a problem?

They actually are more in sync than they have been, so I guess some sharing is going on... I get one short blue blip then one long one... Kinda a one sided conversation....lol.

I'm going to start a post on the software forum....

Try swapping the two follow-me cables and see if the OTHER Classic gets the short or long blip maybe ??
Just to check the cables themselves...

Not sure why one Classic would be seen by the Local App and the other one not seen.  Maybe try swapping
the Ethernet cables, too ??

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

After reading this I'm not sure how you have wired up the two Classics.  Please ignore if you already done this,  Anyway just in case...
If you have the wiring for  Follow-Me this does not mean the local app uses the follow-me wiring to find Classics.
Each Classic must be ethernet cabled to your network and have separate IP numbers in the 192.168.x network you are using.
eg   so if you are using the 192.168.1.0 network then
     Classic 1   192.168.1.70  netmask 255.255.255.0
     Classic  2  192.168.1.71  netmask 255.255.255.0

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Photowhit

Well I'm using basically one cable and addressing each Classic individually, by plugging in the cable to the classic I desire to address. I used 192.168.1.233 (I think for the first one's dip switches) I set the computers static IP to 192.168.1.10(I think) sub net 255.255.255.0 once I was in I set up parameters and changed the IP address for the first classic to 192.168.1.220(I think)

I tried the 2nd classic setting the dip switches to one of the different addresses, I had used the 2nd on the same channel(?) first 192.168.1.234 so I wouldn't need to reset the computers static IP. NO luck so I tried the others with 192.168.*.xyz changing the computers static IP to match(different last 2 or 3 numbers, I used 10). no luck. I went back a couple times to the first and was able to address it.

Things I haven't tried is swapping out the short network cable to the 'lite display' I have 2 extra. I did unplug the follow me cabling. I could wait a bit longer when powered down and changing the IP addresses. I don't even know if powering down is required.

FWIW - with the follow me cables in place and only one set, they are working better together! I ran a toaster oven this afternoon, and combined with other loads was drawing 60+ amps at 27.3V(I set the float to 27.4 but that could just be a slight difference in reading voltage) after they were both in float, and they stayed in float sending about 2 amps to the battery. I'm sure in the heat they weren't getting that from one 2000 watt array.

dgd

I would suggest you ethernet connect both Classics and your computer to an ethernet hub. Set dip switchies so Classics have different IP addresses within same Class C net - eg within 192.168.1.xxx    then power on the Classics.  Use ping on your computer to see if it sees the two Classics

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

This is looking more like a networking or cabling misunderstanding than an issue with the Classic from here.

No offence if you already are well versed in cabling and networking but networking while fairly simple must be done right to work properly. You seemed confused on the Follow Me feature?

The Classic uses 3 types of cables for communication. Cat5 (ethernet), phone cable (follow me) and USB cable (firmware updates). Each has a specific use and you may be confused on how it all works? Follow Me requires 2 phone cables with 2 Classics, basically "in" and "out" and must be connected to the right jacks to work.

I would suggest an inexpensive ethernet hub between the computer and the Classics each with a unique IP and its own ethernet cable. Makeshift network topologies have frustrated others in the past. Some network devices do not work directly connected with cat5 cable and may need a "crossover" cable. I am not sure if the Classic itself can sort out using a directly connected computer with a common straight through cat5 cable?

You may be well experienced in networking so no offence intended but eliminate that first would be a logical first step.

Ping can tell you if the Classic is responding on the network and is an easy check to narrow down the issue.

Just trying to touch on the basics. Remote troubleshooting can be a bit tough so trying to clarify some things that may not be obvious.

Good Luck with it.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Photowhit

With out being upset, I have no problem with the cabling, I made the 24" cables for the phone type 4 pin used/6 pin out cables(RJ11?). I'll even make the network cable so I can leave them plugged since I'm likely reaching the fill capacity for the single conduit, 2 phone cables, 3-#4, 1-#6

As in Ryan's video, my computer did NOT need a cross over cable, it hasn't with other projects either (setting up routers and relays). The first Classic was connected via Ethernet network cable, works with the LocalStatusPanel and I setup my parameters, including Follow me, changed the address, it works fine.

I am NOT a person that needs to watch my system every second. I need to be able to set them up and allow them to work properly. My understanding is they don't need to both be connected to a hub to work, they just need to be setup via network cable and allowed to work and exchange information via the Phone cables.

"Some network devices do not work directly connected with cat5 cable and may need a "crossover" cable. I am not sure if the Classic itself can sort out using a directly connected computer with a common straight through cat5 cable?" My last 2 laptops have not needed crossover cables, the computer identifies the send and receive and adapts. I replace my laptop ever 2-3 years so I suspect it would have to be a pretty old computer not to do this. I can't imagine a computer born after XP that wouldn't, but they might be out there.

Heck, I think Ryan said they didn't even need to have different network addresses for the follow-me feature to work. I think Ryan has said he and others have had problems with Windoz7 (I thought that was with firmware, but what do I know) I have 3-4 appliance computers around that I have setup to run Windows XP, so perhaps I'll see if I can break out one of these dinosaurs.

Since it has worked for me, I think you missed that one worked fine, I am frustrated. Glad to do some screen shots of the computers setup, photos of the wiring, other than breaking off the retaining tab on the network cable, since it's nearly impossible to remove other wise (I found an Nokia N800 stylus is the perfect tool)

I worried that someone would think it was a cabling or setup issue that's why I made it clear that I was changing the computers Static IP address when I changed the dip switches, and that I was still able to address the originally setup Classic lite AFTER having problems with the 2nd, with the same cable, I guess I didn't say that I put it back in the original Classic, but I didn't figure anyone could be that ignorant, perhaps you thought I was, since I was trying so hard to be sure someone could see my steps.

I'm very active on solar forums, and I hate when some one doesn't give complete information. I wanted to show that I had followed form. If that confused you show me where you think I was screwed up. Perhaps you just missed my post that like the firmware the first networked connection with the localstatuspanel went fine and the second again failed (again as in like the firmware) perhaps it is the computer hanging again. I'll ping the Classic and that should give some more information.

dgd; unfortunately these are classic lites, so There is a limited number of addresses that are settable via dip switches. I've tried all 4 of the 192.168.*.xyz ones. Once addressed you can change the IP address in the Localstatuspanel, which I did for the first Classic Lite.

boB; I only have follow me setup on one of the Classics I haven't been able to address the 2nd, it is remarkable that they now somewhat follow each other, I think the one short and one long is accurate to what is going on, one is setup and the other isn't. I'll figure it out in time. have a couple other irons in the fire right now. I'll be back looking into it perhaps the Thursday afternoon, I'll start with pinging the Classic and go from there. In the last couple weeks with out follow me setup on one of the classics, with a heavy load one would go back into bulk and the other stay in float. I was happy to see it didn't happen today.