Lite resting in full sun code 28 - relay error

Started by daneltravieso, July 12, 2013, 09:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daneltravieso

Relay Error anyone? Is this a hardware fault? One of these days I might actually get an error that Midnite bothers to list in it's manual.

boB

The relay error was supposed to show that the relay was not closed when the classic was actually running. That error appeared to be inaccurate so we remove that error from the most recent firmware.  I'm pretty sure we did anyway?

What is your version of firmware in your classic?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

daneltravieso

Hi boB, the firmware is rev 1181 (and network rev 1122). I haven't seen this error message again - yet! - and  the device now hasn't woken up for days (code 0) but whilst I have your ear can you answer why the Classic has the legacy mode for lower input voltages but won't wake up until a much higher voltage is received, thus rendering the legacy mode completely useless? Or is this a fault with my machine?
Any which way I look at this it's plain to see that I simply haven't got enough input voltage. I may have mentioned that this is a problem associated with my panel ocv of 52v, they are the Sanyo - now Panasonic - HIT235, quite efficient with there voltage stability against temperature. I have six of these panels and in the winter I wired them in two banks of three and had hyper voc problems so they are now wired in three banks two which is resulting in the current under-voltage problem. Is it really possible that I will need to seasonally re-configure the panel wiring? This seems oddly unprofessional against the back drop of such a high tech charge controller. What would you recommend in this case? The system is 6 x 235W HIT panels, the Lite 150 and 460Ah of lead acid batteries at 72v. The voltage is so because this system is to power an electric vehicle.
Thanks,
Dan.

Vic

Hi Dan,

Well,  to me,   it seems that you might have a collection of not quite compatible hardware..

As was noted in another thread,  IF you were using a Classic 200 or 250,  THIS situation would not exist.  If you were not using a 72 volt nominal battery bank,  but rather a more common 48 V battery,  this situation would not exist with  your present string voltage.   Realize that this system is for an EV,  but seems that the CC chosen is not appropriate for this application.

Is it possible that there has been some incorrect selection of hardware?

There must been some reasons for this equipment having been selected,  but seems to me that targeting the Classic CC as the item responsible for undesired performance may be off base.

I do not want to beat up on you too much.   Just  an observation from a bit of a distance.

Some of the system decisions that I have made have not worked out perfectly.   We all are continuing to learn.

It is possible that the Classic 150 series was the only Classic available at the time that you were configuring this system,  and the The Classic  is one of the few CCs that has this battery voltage capability,  IIRC.

(EDITed to remove erroneous statement and add last sentence)     Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Halfcrazy

I would say it is an issue with having the wrong Classic. For charging a 72 volt battery I would suggest a Classic 200 is the controller of choice on this system. The real issue here is do to climate the 150 will not take high enough voltage. So it is not a case of bad hardware it is a case of the wrong tool for the job.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

daneltravieso

Yes. I think you must be right. My install designer may have made a fundamental error of hardware choice. The Lite 150 was the only available cc capable of accepting the 72v bank and the panels do have an unusual voc. Still, he's a good mate and did the install for free and to be fair, like most off-grid installers, he's not done any solar powered boats before! As for myself, the boat is also my house and so when you're watching your batteries dropping and your food going off and beer heating up in the warm fridge it's slightly hard to stay totally rational. We're gonna try a switching system for the panels, this being the cheapest solution.
So here ends my current threads. Thanks for all the help people!

atop8918

I would go absolutely ballistic if my system wasn't keeping my beer cool.