Main Menu

WB jr. Q&A

Started by Rybren, October 04, 2013, 11:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resthome

Quote from: Vic on October 08, 2013, 04:00:52 PM
Hi Resthome ...

Well,  both things could be true.

MidNite Engineering COULD possibly building some &  packing them,  at the very least.

The MidNite crew is an optimistic lot,  but last minute things do come up.

For me,  another week or so will not be the end of the world.

Opinions,  based on no real data.   Vic

Vic..  I'm pretty sure there is going to be a big demand for these. In my case we will be closing up the place for the winter this weekend or next and it would have been nice to have it and the new firmware in place so it could be evaluated for a few days before closing up. It is most likely that it will be a few weeks before the retailers get set up. I'm working with a new set of Solar One battery and would have much preferred a workable end amp solution while they are unattended for the next 3-4 months. I'll just have to adjust my charging parameters for a no load cool weather situations and wait until the spring. That way you and the rest of the gang can work out any bugs and boB can enhance the firmware. Cheers.  ;D
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

ClassicCrazy

Does anyone know if this new device would be able to share the shunt that the Trimetric meter is already using or will it need a separate one ?
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Halfcrazy

It will work in conjunction with another monitor system no problem.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

ClassicCrazy

So looking at the photo - the plastic part is the WB jr. ?  Looks like it has some electronics in it. Will it be supplied with the shunt or is that optional ?  Looks like it would need longer tap screws than what I have on my present shunt to attach it .
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

DevoDave

Instructions are up.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Whizbang_Jr_-_Install-1.pdf

And if you guys are worrying about what retailers have them in the USA, how long do you think we'll be waiting in Australia!

ClassicCrazy

Read the literature. This device looks great !  From what I read won't really need the Trimetric meter any longer because the main thing I wanted from it was to know from it was if amps in equaled  the amps out every day. 
Is it possible in the future that either Local Status Panel or MyMidnite will be able to report Whizbang Jr readings ?  Otherwise I guess it is time to make a long cable to bring the Classic Display inside where I can watch it up close and personal.

Any ballpark figure on pricing for a Whizbang Jr ?   
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on October 08, 2013, 09:49:03 PM

$59.00 US dollars  per Midnite's Price list.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

ClassicCrazy

That is a reasonable price - glad to hear it . And maybe the dealers will discount off of that. Can't wait to get one and try it out .
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Halfcrazy

Quote from: DevoDave on October 08, 2013, 08:53:55 PM
Instructions are up.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Whizbang_Jr_-_Install-1.pdf

And if you guys are worrying about what retailers have them in the USA, how long do you think we'll be waiting in Australia!

Funny thing is they are already in Australia. DC Solar Solutions has a some enroute or there already.

Ryan

Halfcrazy

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on October 08, 2013, 09:49:03 PM
Read the literature. This device looks great !  From what I read won't really need the Trimetric meter any longer because the main thing I wanted from it was to know from it was if amps in equaled  the amps out every day. 
Is it possible in the future that either Local Status Panel or MyMidnite will be able to report Whizbang Jr readings ?  Otherwise I guess it is time to make a long cable to bring the Classic Display inside where I can watch it up close and personal.

We have already added the Instantaneous amps to the local app and yes My Midnite and the local app will be getting full blown reporting asap

Ryan

TomW

Ryan or boB;

How does this work with dual Classics & inverters? My concern is that my Wind Classic uses the AUX2 to control the Clipper and I either missed it or it is not covered in the installation  pdf  posted.This is all I saw about 2:
If you have 2 or
more Classics connected using Follow-Me mode, the other Classics
should follow the Classic connected to the WhizBang Junior.

I, perhaps mistakenly, thought it would require 2X WBjr's for a dual system such as mine? Each Classic and inverter has its own shunt so both must be factored in. Or it seems it would be that way.

Thanks for any explanation you can offer. I am probably not the only one running a stacked set of inverters with 2 Classics on separate feeds to / from a single bank.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Well the best way would be to have one common shunt in the DC negative. So if you had a pair of inverters each having there own battery cables I would land them both on a single shunt and then go to the battery.

Ryan

boB

Quote from: TomW on October 09, 2013, 11:38:11 AM
Ryan or boB;

How does this work with dual Classics & inverters? My concern is that my Wind Classic uses the AUX2 to control the Clipper and I either missed it or it is not covered in the installation  pdf  posted.This is all I saw about 2:
If you have 2 or
more Classics connected using Follow-Me mode, the other Classics
should follow the Classic connected to the WhizBang Junior.

I, perhaps mistakenly, thought it would require 2X WBjr's for a dual system such as mine? Each Classic and inverter has its own shunt so both must be factored in. Or it seems it would be that way.

Thanks for any explanation you can offer. I am probably not the only one running a stacked set of inverters with 2 Classics on separate feeds to / from a single bank.

Tom

Tom, I should probably re-word that part about following in that the Classic without the MNWBJr will follow the one with the WB Jr. as far as charge stages go.  So, if the wind Classic is doing most of the Absorbing or the Classic with the MNWBJR is Resting, then the Follow-Me won't quite work right.  This is where, in a future revision, (sooner than later hopefully), the Follow-Me information can also include the WB Jr. shunt current so that all Classics in the network can benefit.

Also, if you folks have some good ideas, don't hesitate to share them !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

TomW

Quote from: Halfcrazy on October 09, 2013, 01:48:31 PM
Well the best way would be to have one common shunt in the DC negative. So if you had a pair of inverters each having there own battery cables I would land them both on a single shunt and then go to the battery.

Ryan

Ryan;

Yeah, I figured as much.

I hate to find holes or problems but..

What happens when someone with  a Wind only Classic setup wants a WBjr and the AUX2 is doing Clipper Control duty? 

Sorry, It is my curse seeing problems that may or may not exist. Drives my wife nuts.  :o

In the words of "Odd Ball" in Kelly's Heroes "Stop with the negative waves, man".  ::)

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

My four AUX connections on two Classics are all used between Clipper and hot water control.
Any plans or current activity on either multiplexing input and output on an AUX2 (assuming the WB single wire connection is input only to the Classic)
or having the WB connection via the USB port or one of the internal network connections?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand