News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

WB jr. Q&A

Started by Rybren, October 04, 2013, 11:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

BTW,  Thank You to the MidNite crew for getting the Whiz Bang into production and shipping is a very short time.

This will be a huge benefit for many of us,  and,   obviously another great selling point for the Classic line of CCs.   Thanks!  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Quote from: dgd on October 09, 2013, 04:12:08 PM
My four AUX connections on two Classics are all used between Clipper and hot water control.
Any plans or current activity on either multiplexing input and output on an AUX2 (assuming the WB single wire connection is input only to the Classic)
or having the WB connection via the USB port or one of the internal network connections?

dgd

This might be where the WhizBang Senior might come in handy.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: boB on October 09, 2013, 09:23:59 PM

I suppose with a Jr there had to be a Snr...
I'm still wondering if the name WhizzBang and release in October with probable acquisition by users near end October (Haloween) is just a coincidence
rather than indicative of its possible effect on RE systems... :D

Dare I ask for Snr info and possible spec and possible release?  It wouldn't by any chance be a proper battery monitor and therefore of use for dealing with LiFePO4 batteries?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

Quote from: dgd on October 09, 2013, 10:12:56 PM
Quote from: boB on October 09, 2013, 09:23:59 PM

I suppose with a Jr there had to be a Snr...
I'm still wondering if the name WhizzBang and release in October with probable acquisition by users near end October (Haloween) is just a coincidence
rather than indicative of its possible effect on RE systems... :D

Dare I ask for Snr info and possible spec and possible release?  It wouldn't by any chance be a proper battery monitor and therefore of use for dealing with LiFePO4 batteries?

dgd

No, not something to do with LiFePO4 batteries.  That is the job of the Battery Management System (BMS) for the particular battery...
We'll let the battery guys deal with all that.  But we can add more control to the controller like, being able to turn off the charger from
an external input or software communications control of various parameters.    Didn't you request one of those features ?

Then watch out for the "Caption Billy WhizBang" !

Happy Halloween ! 

(no coincidence with the relase of the WB Jr. though)
boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

offgridQLD

This is a product I have been hanging out for so I welcome its arrival. I do have a question though.

It looks like the software additions to take advantage of the WBjr's shunt data have been written to show energy in/out as Amp hr's . Considering Amp hrs units dont paint the full picture of how much energy has been transfer or consumed unless voltage is also part of the equation.

A lot of people are using battery chemistry (LED ACID) that can span a 20% voltage swing over a charge cycle. For example a 48v system potentially start out as low as 50v and peek at 60v from start of charge to end of charge. So you migh get a AH number at the end of the day but that alone isn't a accurate total energy number without knowing the voltage at over that time. (sorry I know most already know this )

I would really like to see whrs or kwh used as the unit of measure for total energy in/out. Is this possible or am
I missing it and its already there?

I know the classic its self shows output in both Amp,voltage and  the two together as watts.

It would be great for example at the end of the day to see I have pumped 10kw into my battery and consumed 8kw from them all visually from the local app.

Kurt

Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

boB

Quote from: offgridQLD on October 10, 2013, 10:55:44 PM

It would be great for example at the end of the day to see I have pumped 10kw into my battery and consumed 8kw from them all visually from the local app.

Kurt

Yes, we will definitely get to that, Kurt...  Amp-hours is pretty useful to start with.
kW-Hours is very useful too.  But energy efficiency is typically lower than amp-hour
efficiency so as far as state of charge goes, amp-hours are a bit closer for knowing
the SOC if the Absorb cycle has ended when the battery was full.

Anyhow, we'll get the kW-Hours in and out coming soon I think.

thanks !
boB

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mahendra

A humble request to midnite
With the whizbang out can someone at midnite solar shed some light on how to properly calculate or estimate ending amps .
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

Vic

Hi mahendra,

I am NOT at MidNite,

However,  I do forget exactly what batteries you are running,  and your interest may not be for your batteries anyway.

Generally for FLA batteries,  you would look for an EA value between 1 and 2% of 20 hour Capacity.   The Absorption voltage setting is also a factor,  but the above percentages generally are in the range that works with Vabs in the recommended range from the battery manufacturer of the batteries being charged.

There is probably also a temperature variable that will also affect the exact setting required.

With Flooded batteries,  it is fairly easy  to check the desired EA value with a Hydrometer/Refractomter.

For SLA batteries,  it is best to use the recommended values from the manufacturer of the batteries.

One can also look for the charge current delivered to the batteries,  and when the rate of change in this current plateaus,   this is also a good indication that the ultimate return current has been reached,  or it is very close to that value indicated.

For Sealed batteries,  resting voltage is a very good indication of SOC (when temperature-compensated).

For the Surrette FLA banks here,  1.0% of ACTUAL 20 Hr Capacity,  as measured at the Shunt is the ideal, at nominal Surrette-recommended Vabs,   FWIW.

YNNV.    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

mahendra

i used 4 deka agm 245ah in parallel which gives me about 980ah give and take inefficiencies. run light loads mostly.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

Vic

Hi mahendra.

Thanks for the info.

You have probably consulted the Deka data regarding their recommended EA values.   SOME manufacturers of AGM batteries recommend such an infinitesimally small EA value,  that the jitter in charge current is greater than this recommended Ending current.  Hope that Deka is not one of those mfgs.

So for you,  probably watching for the charge current into the batteries  to reach its  plateau,  and using that plateau value as EA is a good start.  And if you could confirm this experimental EA value with resting voltage measurement,  you should be fairly confident.

Looks like you have four batteries in parallel,  which COULD make resting V measurements a bit easier,  (or not).

Good Luck,  Vic

mahendra

DevoDave

Quote from: Halfcrazy on October 09, 2013, 05:59:36 AM
Funny thing is they are already in Australia. DC Solar Solutions has a some enroute or there already.
Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I have sent them an email.

boB

You can connect more than one "similar" shunt using sensor.

The phrase is "cooperative attachment".

So far, it appears to work just fine.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

TomW

Quote from: boB on October 12, 2013, 01:10:35 AM

boB;

So on my dual system with identical shunts I would attach one WBjr to each and the violet sense wires together and then a single wire to the Aux2 on one of the Classics?

Thanks.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

Quote from: TomW on October 12, 2013, 07:22:13 AM
Quote from: boB on October 12, 2013, 01:10:35 AM

boB;

So on my dual system with identical shunts I would attach one WBjr to each and the violet sense wires together and then a single wire to the Aux2 on one of the Classics?

Thanks.

Tom

No, sorry that won't work.

Each Whizbang Jr. needs its own host Classic to read it.

This example is if you have one shunt and a WB Jr. and a Trimetric or a Magnum BMK etc.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me