News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Jumpy amps

Started by toothy, November 17, 2013, 04:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toothy

Hello

I love my new gadget! Now I'll have to find a new way to abuse the batteries.

My "WBjr. system amps:" seems to jump around a bit, a rough guess would be 1.5A, is this normal?

I assumed as the amps decreased the progression towards the end of absorb would be more linear and smooth.

Just curious

Thanks
Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

Resthome

Quote from: toothy on November 17, 2013, 04:51:32 PM
Hello

I love my new gadget! Now I'll have to find a new way to abuse the batteries.

My "WBjr. system amps:" seems to jump around a bit, a rough guess would be 1.5A, is this normal?

I assumed as the amps decreased the progression towards the end of absorb would be more linear and smooth.

Just curious

Thanks
Wade

What kind of loads do you have going on when you see this? On the Classic my readings seems to be rock solid with a light steady load. Haven't looked at the Local App as it didn't have the WB Jr features at the time I was last there.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Halfcrazy

Do you have more than one charge controller? I see mine tweak back and forth a but. Say .5 to 1 amp and I figure it is just the regulation of 3 Classics as loads change. If I turn off the loads it stabilizes.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

zoneblue

The WB register currently holds a value that isnt the same 1 second average that the other datapoints are. ADC sampling like this you always end up with some noise on the line. You are after all reading a sub milltivolt voltage, picked up off a two inch antenna.  You can see the the jitter in my 1 second sample rate plot here:

http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1461.msg12277#msg12277

I understand that they plan to add some more registers later on.

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

boB

The WB Jr.'s output does not average right now.  The averaging that is there comes from
the WB Jr. itself and is not very long.  We'll put some more averaging into the Classic
for that sometime soon.   The jumping around is real, either from loads or from the
Classic itself.  If from the Classic itself while charging, I would assume it is most
likely in Absorb.  Is that correct ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

toothy

I have 3 Classic's in follow me, with normal home loads.

Zoneblue, most of what you said went over my head, I'm short, I did try to glean what I could, thanks.

boB, I did notice it in Absorb, and as I said I was just curious if it was more or less normal. I love it! My batteries love it more!

Thanks for ALL your products and services
Wade

2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

Halfcrazy

Toothy
Thats what I notice with my 3 classics as well. My amps move around say .5 to1 amp I suspect the cause is flucuation in loads and just the fact you have 3 Classics trying to regulate in absorb all at the same time.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

zoneblue

Yeah it it is likely that the jitter is also derived from pulse width modulated signals of various kinds on the battery bus. I dont know how the classic output looks, with the heavy filtering in it i would have expected it to be reasonably clean, but maybe not. Theres also lots of pulse waveforms on the load side, all of which would add up to a noisy looking waveform. Depending on when you sample it youll get 'random' seeming values.

I think the important thing is to sample everything in the same time frame. But sample rate is a balance, quick enough to get the detail required to show an accurate picture, but long enough to smooth out the jitter, and reduce the processing and storage overhead of overly detailed samping. In some cases theres a need for both.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

boB

We'll get that reading averaged here soon hopefully.

So, has anybody heard if Vic ever got his WB Jr. working ?

I know he was really wanting something like that.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi boB,

Have been doing heavy equipment work,  getting water collection system from a roof of a new shop ...

The Classic is re-installed,  WBjr sensor board is installed ... just need to extend the violet wire and UD the FW.  Been busy,  but was just going out to UD the FW ...

Thanks for getting the WBjr done,  and out to us folks,  just a timing thing here.

Will advise,   Thanks,   Vic   QRL
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

Hi boB,

OK,  finished the installation of the WbJr this AM.  Went very smoothly  with the Wb installation and the  FW Update.

The MX-60 was in Absorb by the time the FW was updated.  Switched the MX off and the Classic ON,  and the Wb status screen shows the present Amps, Temp and AH + & --.  Looks great.

This site has not used a Classic since 2010 --a very early Classic.   The present Classic is a different one FWIW.

Have an observation about Temp Comp of Vabs,  but that belongs in the "Classic" Topic.

Looks great,  and am watching for the transition to Float, based on the WbJr's command,  but all in all  a very slick product,  easy to install (the right edge of the Wb PCB clears the inside of the Xantrex DCCB-L Conduit Box with 3/8" to spare --  fine retrofit compatability!!).

Thanks again for getting this product out quickly.  Am very keen on it,   and just another great selling point for the Classic CC and MidNite in general.   Thanks!  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

boB

Excellent, Vic !

Let us know if your charger ever gets to Float !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

OK boB,

Was not quite able to remain at this site until the WbJr commanded Float.  And in the interim,   have been avoiding recharge of these batteries for two days.

This AM switched the ON PV into the Classic,  and had hoped for another wall-to-wall sunny day,  but alas,  only about 0.9kWh today.   So have not yet been able to watch the Classic/WbJr combo terminate Absorb based on the Wb's command.   WX looks like more mostly cloudy conditions,  until perhaps this weekend.

Will advise.  There is still the second site with relatively more PV where the second WbJr will be installed.  But just now, have more than 400 ft of open trenches waiting for pipe/conduit,  which has priority,  as more rain will certainly be coming fairly soon  --much of the pipe is for additions to the  rain water collection system  from a new shop roof ...  no collection system means lotsa erosion.

Thanks again for all the great products,  especially the inexpensive WbJr!         73   Vic

toothy

Vic

Are you using the water off the roof for drinking or just diverting to get it away from the building?

I drink mine, the well drilling was a $10K crap shoot in solid rock and living in a temperate rainforest, think cold rainy swamp, it was a no brainer. I put a 10,000 gallon pvc lined tank under the wife's closet, it's bellow grade it's simple and tastes just fine.

Wade

Vic

First,   produced about 12 kWh today,  and made it into Absorb,  but we used a medium-sized electric Jack hammer enough that did not make it to EA value today ...  hope springs ...

Hi Wade,

We have no well.   Have tried the collected rain water,  but still haul in drinking water -- 1 gal jugs  -- from town as it is about the best Tap water in this state.

Eventually,  will  filter the rain water for drinking.   We use this water for all domestic used,   save for drinking.

We are adding 12.5 k gallons to the system,  for 30 k total.

Tried having a well drilled.  The driller was such a flake ...  he took about three months of sporadic effort every 3-4 weeks,  but would leave the Air Hammer drill bit in the hole between efforts.  He did strike water at about 500 ft,  but the well had collapsed on the bit,  and it took him about two weeks to get the bit out of the hole.  Cost $4k,  but it was worth it to get rid of him.

Rain water is fine for me.  Would have been nice to have a well,  but  rain is good enough for now.

Have fun,    thanks,    Vic