classic will not update

Started by mahendra, May 04, 2014, 03:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarMusher

Quote from: mahendra on May 16, 2014, 05:12:34 AM
ok i have experimented with the port settings after trying to use three different pc to install latest firmware on a classic 150 and classic lite 200 but i seem to have the same problem .
all three pc (on running on vista, one on windows 7 and one on widows 8)
All the pc's display the same error- Comm 8 in use or does not exist and with port settings it says drivers are corrupt or missing.
Now i am thinking  this isn't coincidence is there a software issue  with new firmware or is my classics faulty.
Hi Mahendra,
I've updated last monday on Win7 and same problem, I needed to make it 5 or 6 times quickly with different USB ports, at the end (10mn) it started to download without comm8 error. Usually on mine, it just need two times.
Good luck,
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

mahendra

i know but i have been trying for weeks now to be exact since the firmware was released, because i finally got my whizbang and other stuff set up completely and i am trying to get optimum settings for my batteries.Would have to make that  call
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

mahendra

Made that call and finally upgraded both classics thanks MIdnite!!!
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

Halfcrazy

Can you give us a brief description if what Mike had you do to make it work as it may help others.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

mahendra

sure
first step is to plug your usb cable into your pc with the classic  on
next to go into device manager :control panel - hardware- device manager (may vary depending on windows version)
click on comm/ports
click on port that shows up i.e the classic
right click on the selected comm port
click on properties
click on advance
click down arrow on comm port and select 8

that was it .i guess what has to be done is to reset the port even though it was set for comm 8
I should also mention that i had edited in one my classics port settings to comm 4 but fortunately that did not affect anything port just reset  when usb was pluged in

leeelson

Here's another data point. I have the same problem and am using Linux (Ubuntu). I get the message:

could not open port /dev/ttyACM0: [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: '/dev/ttyACM0'

I know I have the correct device because I can see it in my device list

TomW

Quote from: leeelson on May 17, 2014, 10:19:37 PM
Here's another data point. I have the same problem and am using Linux (Ubuntu). I get the message:

could not open port /dev/ttyACM0: [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: '/dev/ttyACM0'

I know I have the correct device because I can see it in my device list

Check this post I just made on this in another thread:

http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1814.msg17088#msg17088

Might help.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

I Just updated the FW on 2 Classics this weekend! Hurrah.... Had a bit of trouble with #2, so:

TIP1:  always use the same USB 'hole' or the Update may not even start...

I have 3 USB connections on my Netbook. Only the one I successfully used for Updating Classic #1 would 'see' the connection to Classic #2 when I changed the connection.  I tried the other 2, because of physical orientation, but nada...   

Tip2:  allow a good amount of time for your PC and Classic to FINALLY  communicate sometimes it takes several minutes to do so...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Quote from: Westbranch on May 18, 2014, 07:38:49 PM
I Just updated the FW on 2 Classics this weekend! Hurrah.... Had a bit of trouble with #2, so:

TIP1:  always use the same USB 'hole' or the Update may not even start...

I have 3 USB connections on my Netbook. Only the one I successfully used for Updating Classic #1 would 'see' the connection to Classic #2 when I changed the connection.  I tried the other 2, because of physical orientation, but nada...   

Tip2:  allow a good amount of time for your PC and Classic to FINALLY  communicate sometimes it takes several minutes to do so...

Thanks for the info, WB !

Sorry it was such a hassle though.  I have been looking into this somewhat when I
have time and there may be a fix in the future.  It seems to be timing issue
between when the port comes alive on the PC and the time the update actually
starts.  Usually, that is.

There do appear to be a few Classics that just don't want to update but I have
seen the original windows 8.0 update anything and everything we though
couldn't be updated.  THEN, they came out with an update to 8.1 and
the goodness all went away for some reason.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

boB,

the drag and drop firmware update for the KID is just so easy to use, Mario has done a superb job with it.
Is there any chance that the Classic firmware update could be the same?
I seem to remember some time ago that Classic firmware update over ethernet was a possibility.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

Quote from: dgd on May 18, 2014, 08:57:16 PM
boB,

the drag and drop firmware update for the KID is just so easy to use, Mario has done a superb job with it.
I seem to remember some time ago that Classic firmware update over ethernet was a possibility.

dgd

Yeah the drag and drop method is really the way to go.

The Classic bootloader was done a long time ago.  I think we are looking into
making the Classic be able to do that.  At least we were.

Ethernet used to work to update the Classic itself but not the MNGP.  Not sure
even if it still works with the code that is in there now.

We'll see about the D & D thing.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Resthome

Quote from: boB on May 18, 2014, 10:02:00 PM
Quote from: dgd on May 18, 2014, 08:57:16 PM
boB,

dgd

Yeah the drag and drop method is really the way to go.

The Classic bootloader was done a long time ago.  I think we are looking into
making the Classic be able to do that.  At least we were.

Ethernet used to work to update the Classic itself but not the MNGP.  Not sure
even if it still works with the code that is in there now.

We'll see about the D & D thing.

+1 for D & D
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

leeelson

Quote from: mahendra on May 17, 2014, 08:16:39 AM
sure
first step is to plug your usb cable into your pc with the classic  on
next to go into device manager :control panel - hardware- device manager (may vary depending on windows version)
click on comm/ports
click on port that shows up i.e the classic
right click on the selected comm port
click on properties
click on advance
click down arrow on comm port and select 8

that was it .i guess what has to be done is to reset the port even though it was set for comm 8
I should also mention that i had edited in one my classics port settings to comm 4 but fortunately that did not affect anything port just reset  when usb was pluged in
With Windows 8.1, there is nothing under comm/ports but under "other devices" I see: BootLoader Version 1.6. Unfortunately, the port is not configurable. I get the comm 8 not available errors.

Resthome

Quote from: leeelson on May 19, 2014, 04:02:54 PM

With Windows 8.1, there is nothing under comm/ports but under "other devices" I see: BootLoader Version 1.6. Unfortunately, the port is not configurable. I get the comm 8 not available errors.

Looks like you have not finished installing the driver. See Step 17 in the instructions.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmware/Win8_firmware_update.pdf
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Westbranch

you are getting closer...

Seems to me you can double click on the name and it installs the driver.

hth
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come