Can a wire be installed in AC panel to joint both phases if I only have 1 Phase

Started by Taos, November 10, 2015, 08:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taos

I have only one outback inverter ( for the time being) powering  120 v A.C . To a 24 breaker sub a.c. panel ,since it's powering only one phase of my AC sub panel I can only use half the panel ( 12 breakers)  is it possible ( legal) to joint both phases by a jumper wire of the right gauge (6 gauge) my inverter has a 50 amp breaker feeding (protecting ) my sub a.c. Panel.  I know it's hard to know if it's legal here in ontario canada as rules vary.
Thanks
Don
400watt x12= (4800watts)Canadian solar panels,ground mount, (400 AH ) 16 Ao lithium 12volt 100ah 4s lithium  batteries , outback vfx3648 inverter 48 volt,midnite solar classic 150 charge controler,midnite solar e panel mne175al,3 surge protectors,wiz bang junior.

Westbranch

Hi Don, I'm in BC and my electrician did exactly that, I only have single phase and he used both sides of the distribution box...  ask a Licensed electrician... or your local Inspector
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Taos

I did some more research, and in my outback installation manual  it says not to connect  to both L1 and L2  of the electrical panel as some 3 wire circuits like (kitchen counter plugs ) which are common in ontario could cause the neutral wire to overheat or neutral buss bar in AC panel ( not in the case of one 3600 watt inverter)as it would be carrying  double the amperage rating of the wire this is due to both L1 and L2 being one phase , the solution is two inverters or wire my counter plugs with 12-2 wires single phase,or auto transformer wired between inverter and my a.c. Panel , well easiest way would be wire my counter plugs with 12-2 wire single phase 20 amp breaker that's the electrical normal now in ontario ,I'm allowed two outlets per breaker so this will work for me as all I need is   4 counter plugs and free up breaker slots it will take a couple of hours  and  then I can sleep at night.

Don
400watt x12= (4800watts)Canadian solar panels,ground mount, (400 AH ) 16 Ao lithium 12volt 100ah 4s lithium  batteries , outback vfx3648 inverter 48 volt,midnite solar classic 150 charge controler,midnite solar e panel mne175al,3 surge protectors,wiz bang junior.

ralph day

Hi Don
I've been living with the jumpered L1 aand L2 for 11 years, never a problem.  If you're worried about someone using 2 heavy use kitchen appliances (coffee maker and toaster, kettle and toaster) at the same time, just get the kiddie proofing plug fillers and put one in one of the duplex receptacle's hole sets (ie plug one of the plug-ins).

Yes, the neutral will be common to both L1 and L2, but if you only use one of the plug holes, you won't overload the circuit.  It's just an inconvenience to have to shuffle countertop appliances or wait to use the next kitchen toy.  BTDT. 

With only one 120v inverter you might not want two of those loads running at the same time anyway.  BTDT.

Ralph

Taos

Well I'm sure many people have jumped L 1 & L 2  in the electrical panel and have had no problems , I think it really depends on if they have 14-3 wires for there kitchen counter plugs as like I said earlier the neutral wire will carry or try to carry 30 amps and there's no breaker to protect it just the black wire and the red wire will be protected by the 15 amp breakers,I don't think there will be any problems with the neutral buss bar as most single inverters don't have the power to damage it, so it depends on how your kitchen counter plugs are wired , I didn't want to take the chance as I have two teenagers that try and plug everything in at once , also some insurance companies will denie a claim if it was done wrong and my house is paid off so didn't want to take the chance , so today I wired my counter plugs  according to ontario ,canada, code 12-2 wire , max two plug outlets per circuit,with a 20 amp plug sockets and 20 amp breakers, no ground fault needed as long as plugs are more then a meter away from sink , I still have one slot left on electrical panel for one more circuit ,if I need more circuits in the future it will be time to upgrade my solar system,
Thanks for all the imput
Don

CDN-VT

I agree Don & the white neutral on a L1&L2 panel will not see 30 amps , Jumped L1&2  could ..
Good decision.

Ralph had a good work around , Make SURE you mark all unusual wiring so It's plain  as day,, so me the blind sparky can use the red&black sticks to see. 

Be safe out there.

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

tecnodave

Ralph Day,

You are so wrong in assuming that you cannot overload a circuit in the manner in which you suggest by using only one outlet of a duplex outlet wired on a common neutral!

If you have a 20 amp load on phase A in only one outlet and a 20 amp load on phase B in only one outlet then the current on the neutral will be 40 amps when phase A and phase B are paralled.

It is common to have more than one outlet on each leg of a 12/3/G fed circuit. This has been common place in the U.S. for 20 years or more. Common neutral is not accepted now for this reason.

When I work on remodels I always remove wiring done this way as it is no longer legal and not safe, 120 volt backup from a generator causes that same problem and it's not apparent to many users

I cannot speak to Canadian Codes but the NEC very clearly DOES NOT permit 15 amp circuits in the kitchen or dining room. 2 separate 20 amp dedicated circuits are required in the kitchen and the dining room must have a 20 amp service

AFAIK Canadian codes echo very closely the NEC. (National Electrical Code)

GFCI'S are REQUIRED where you can touch the sink and the appliance which is plugged in!

1 meter is NOT SAFE!   

David

practicing electrician, both remodel, new housing, and industrial/AG ,  50 years experience
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P