Installing solar panel and dodgy work

Started by Herman, January 11, 2016, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

As you guys can probably guess from my other posts I had a dodgy installer set up a system that has failed in safety and also in a few other areas, so I am no in the process of trying to right every thing he has done My first step is to get and set up new solar panels for my Ni-Fe cells But am finding out what looks simple it is not because you will always find a hidden problems, I have just been putting up frames for some solar panels and where I need to place the rear legs on the roof there is no batten and I cannot get in underneath to place a battenso there is no support for the frames Frustrated yes and I am not ripping up a CGI roofing to fix it either so my solution if it works is to get 8 M length of Angle aluminum rivet and screw it to the CGI so I can distribute the weight ove the whole length of the frame work to support the panels.

The next step Is to replace all the installer 240 V AC wiring with good quality DC stuff as I have been told that is also part of the problem

Next step is to set up a good charger/ invertor
So I have a system that all anyone has to do one those days of heavy cloud cover and rain is start the Generator only which charges and runs the house at the same time unlike what we have at the moment start the generator turn on the DC power supply to charge the Ni-Fe cells and switch off the current invertor as it goes into over volt ad when done turn every thing off turn on the invertor and switch off the generator (to Dam Complicated) I want simple

I am trying to do the work myself to save some costs but i am not a tradie I spent my whole life in the Defence Force blowing things up not building them so my work is like a snail Slow and if it looks like it wont work do not try it as it wont work Frustrated

Yeah I am rambling again and it is to hot to work on a roof 

TomW

Herman;

Sorry you got involved with a shady outfit. Sadly, they exist in many occupations.

Just recovering from a poor choice in plumber for a renovation here.

We had to redo  upstairs bathroom fixtures installed by some kid who was no plumber despite working as one.

Sometimes it might be easier / best to just back up and start fresh.  Maybe "unconnect" everything and audit the cabling/ mechanicals to see what goes where. Take lots of pictures, notes and label as you go.

Not sure I know what CGI roofing? is. My solar panels have all been on poles with racks so no help on the building mounting stuff.

Good luck getting it squared away.

Gotta love milspec explosives  ;D ;D

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Herman

Thanks Tom

To answer your Question Corrugated Iron (CGI) which is used for roofing material easy to install durable and easy to replace if needed.

With reference getting a reputable company t help I have approached a local company here which has a very good name just pricey and they wont even touch it, the reasons relate to them not knowing Ni-Fe Cells or dealing with High Voltage Thin Film Panels.

I also think they are just happy installing and not getting out of the box.

I will endeavor to take pictures and post it once done

Cheers 

Herman

Hi again

The Company that had done the initial Installation was UNI Sun which I met the owner while doing a permacultre Course at The Channon here in NSW Australia and I am not the only one not that it makes me any happier.

The Company that was going to fix it up was Rainbow Power Company at Nimbin NSW I also think when the took the pictures and studied them they probably came to the conclusion it not worth their reputation.

Halfcrazy

Herman
We have a tech support employee who is very very well versed in NiFe and Thin Film. His email is Jparish@midnitesolar. I know he is busy but I am sure he would answer some emails for you if you want a second opinion or get to stuck. Also pictures and questions here will get you TONS of help the knowledge base here is HUGE

Sorry you had a bad experience but please post pictures and ask lots of questions so the second time is a charm.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

CDN-VT

Herman
As Ryan states , the knowledge here is great .

I'll reply to the roofing , Stay off till your in fall and you should remove all & tie it down on the other roof / side if you can .
All the original holes & such need to be repaired this fall so you get a winter test , because if you redo & then have a leak , THAT SUCKS HUGE !!

I know from evil/bad roofers .

I did make all my three mounts from AL . Lots of machine work , but strong & clean, plus ez removal , as I just did a change this year on one system .
I don't have any Pix on this puter .

VT
Ill see if I can add later
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Herman

Here are some shots have 8 Panels up 2 left to go they are facing North by North West as I unable to place them on the roof in a north direction as they will be hanging off the roof (we would loose the Rainwater which is our drinking water) the photos note the vent on one of the photos not pleasant working around there

CDN-VT

More pictures , & angles . they are so small .
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.

Herman

Hi Mate here is another shot

The panels are facing North + or - 10 Deg mainly due to the angle of the panels any rain would have flowed over the gutters with rain being our only water source I would rather collect it by natural means than buy it.

The next step is to wire it up with MC 4 Plugs and 6 mm solar dc cable le the fun begin.

Quick question the dodgy installer used 240 Volt AC wiring going to both of my MPPTS should I change it to proper DC cabling mainly my understanding is due to voltage drop.

TomW

Quote from: Herman on January 21, 2016, 04:42:43 AM

Quick question the dodgy installer used 240 Volt AC wiring going to both of my MPPTS should I change it to proper DC cabling mainly my understanding is due to voltage drop.

Herman;

Wire [cable] is actually rated for capacity in amps.

Well, it is rated for max voltage, too. Usually around 600 volts for most house wiring.

If the amperage from the panels is low enough, say under 20 amps, common #10 Romex may be fine for short runs.

There are many voltage drop calculators out on this interweb thingy.

Just a general misconception that can be confusing.

Just saying.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Herman

CDN-VT

Im thinking your wiring is 230Vac 50~ for household and in comparison wire sizing in north american gauges is awg 16 .
That is undersized & should never be exposed to UV or outside ..

Mate If your going to redo all the setup work , lets get it done once set for 20 years plus .

No way to put up on the second roof & angle them short stand offs on the one side & a taller stand off on the south side make them point close to the same direction & now you get to use the row of screws that are into the cross batten board , but ever half meter you should see a rafter /truss for good solid attachment ..

I say all this due to the way they are geo-weather playing & our weather is getting wicked up here in west coast Canada .

I make most of my aluminum standoffs etc. All my stuff is bolted with 6mm stainless hex bolts & nylock fastners for repair & ease of change etc. I can weld tig-mig the Al , but then I need remake it if it's damaged

I see ten panels  .

Under the panels I would run plastic conduit with tee drops for the panels MC4 connectors. That way your 3mm wire /10 awg is not exposed to UV & then its neat and no movement for shorts etc.

Just some thought ..

VT 

Resthome

VT definitely agree with your comments. Especially the effects of the UV on exposed cables, even solar cable will take a beating it not in conduit. I have sections of water-tite flex gray conduit that is burnt brown from the sun in California central Valley.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Herman

Have all my TSMC panels up as you can see and wiring them in tomorrow which is dependent on the weather if it is raining will be a no go as I do not fancy falling from great heights as the roof get rather slippery and I am not steady on my feet compliments of a few thing I picked up in the military and if it is to hot as in 36+ deg C what is one days work will take me forever as I will do it I sections either wire in a couple of panels at a time.

With the wiring I intend to have 10 Panels parallel by having MC4 branch plug to link one pair of panels together on the - side and on + side I have a MC4 in line 1000v 15A IP67 with a branch plug for wiring I am using 6mm solar cable one core.

All the wiring will be inside flexible conduit, which I will probably replace later with something far more permanent as the sun here destroys it over a period of time which is happening faster as it gets warmer here.

Once i have completed there I then start on the shed as well as replace the invertor charger God I wish MidNite had a store here I would pay some of your guys with Beer Credits  8)

I am happy to receive advice if this looks wrong (and you should see the panels on a earlier post and yes they are on a angle over the battens facing in the same direction using stainless steel roofing screws and unfortunately pop rivets where there was no batten (luckily not in a real windy area).   

dgd

I see your panels all spread around on roof in pairs on thier own small frames
also I read you are somewhat wobbly and roof is high and could be dangerous
Is there no way you could get these PVs on a ground frame where access would be easier and less arduous to deal with wiring?
Maintenace and keeping PVs clean would be simpler 😐

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand