US Battery...2200 XC..6 volt deep cycle Flooded Lead Acid batteries!

Started by Solar trucker, March 02, 2016, 11:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solar trucker

I would like to know if anyone on this forum uses these batteries or similar batteries by US Battery?
The Manufacturer Specs call for a FLOAT of 7.51 volts or 13.02 volts for 12 volt systems..
I normally always want to follow guidelines by manufacturers as they built their product and probably
know how to care for it...
I just think this is kind of low and I have been setting 13.4V for my Float on the classic!  I'm hoping
that this won't lead to problems for me in the future! I don't want to end up cooking the plates much before they should be...I don't find any unusual water usage and everything seems quite normal..
SOC first thing in the morning is still 100%...
As a matter fact, I've had these batteries now for over 4 years and my previous MorningStar Tristar
60 MPPT was set for 13.4V with no ill effects for that whole time!
Should I stay with my present 13.4v or use the recommended 13.02v given by US Battery?
1.65 KW-RV 12V system of Sunpower Panels Classic 150 with BTS and WBJR and a Kid-6 x 6V US Batteries, 696 AH FLA-Magnum Energy MS-2812 Inverter, All Interior and Exterior Lights in the RV were replaced with LED's

Ottawa Canada (Summer) - SW Arizona (Winter)

Vic

Hi St,

Think that there is a Typo in that 7.51 V per 6 V battery for Vflt.  Bet that you are really saying 6.51 V X2= 13.02 V.

Generally,  for Flooded batteries,  one wants to choose Vflt that just BARELY keeps a fully-charged battery, fully-charged.

So choosing the lowest voltage possible is probably best,  especially if the battery spends a lot of time in Float.

Just be certain to use a BTS on every charge source,  and use the appropriate Temperature Compensation value recommended by the manufacturer.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Solar trucker

Vic...Thanks for the advice!  Yes that was a typo error! 7.51v float would definitely cook the batteries!
There are times that the batteries stay in float for a long time...so I guess I'm going to change the FL
value down to their recommended setting of 6.51v or 13.02v for my 12v system and see how things go!

I'm really only expecting to use these batteries for another year and then going to change my Batt bank
this coming Nov or Dec to probably AGM 2V units!
I can always go back to my previous setting of 13.4v or somewhere in between say 13.2v for float if I
feel they don't stay up like they have been...

Thanks for the good advice!  BTW I really like this forum and I find it is time well spent..All the major
contributors seem very eager to help!
1.65 KW-RV 12V system of Sunpower Panels Classic 150 with BTS and WBJR and a Kid-6 x 6V US Batteries, 696 AH FLA-Magnum Energy MS-2812 Inverter, All Interior and Exterior Lights in the RV were replaced with LED's

TomW

Solar;

Pretty interesting rig there.

What kind of velocepede is short enough that it fits across the frame inside the legal width limits?

My wife's Fiesta has an 8 foot wheelbase and is about 13 feet bumper to bumper and it is a small car!

Sorry to divert your thread.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Solar trucker

Tom...Our 2011 Mercedes Smart Car has a wheelbase of 72 in and bumper to bumper of exactly 102"
which is exactly Legal Limit with no permits...Our previous 2005 Smart was only 96" bumper to bumper.
This arrangement works very well..

Vic

St,

YES,  great looking TowRig and Trailer.

I,  too,  had wondered about that car,   AND,  how it gets deployed and stowed.

Do you use ramps,  or is it some complex hydraulic movement of the car platform,   ...   or ??

Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Solar trucker

Thanks for the comments!  I use a set of Custom made Aluminum Folding 12 ft ramps that were
made in Springfield Mo for me with a Custom bend near the top to combat high centering.
The ramps fold to 6ft long and capable of 6,000 lbs total weight...They also store under the deck
very neatly for transport and storage!  I use a winch setup with remote control to bring the car up
and I just drive the car off...very simple and easy to do...Car goes up onto the truck in about 15
minutes from setting up the ramps to securing down the car on the deck...very slick...

Solar trucker

Here are some more Pics of my Setup....Thanks for all the Interest...

TomW

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Solar trucker

2 Final Photos Taken just a couple of days ago at our winter RV Site near Yuma Arizona! Enjoy_ 8)

Vic

Solar trucker

Westbranch

ST, just read about your ramps,  can you drive up & on and go off & down the other side?

My quad trailer has that option  if carrying  2 quads... sure beats driving off backwards... :)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

CDN-VT

whats the voltage of the Volvo ? Tractor !
24V in series parallel  system ? some have the dual charge ALT's & that could charge the 24Vdc battery bank while in tow.
since your asking about upping your system to 24Vdc

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Solar trucker

Wb..The Car Deck was designed with Wheel Stops on the curb side because the car only
has the facility for Eyebolts that are frame mounted on the rear...The car needs to be pulled backwards
up the ramps and then the car can be driven forwards off the truck deck down the ramps!
It's actually a very easy operation to do and can be done in very little time!  I've done it probably a couple
of hundred times at this point and can be done with my eyes closed!..(not quite)
The car is only 2,000 lbs and the ramps are super solid...5 Star Manufacturing in Mo custom make ramps
for any purpose, all the way up to D9 Cats...1st class quality ramps that will last a lifetime!
I had a Welding Shop here in Arizona fabricate a Truck mounted 2" receiver for my removable 6,000 lb
Warn winch and with the remote control, going up the ramps is effortless and a breeze, plus I can control
the exact placement as I hit the deck...It's all done in virtually 10 min. from ground to tie down on truck! I am a member of a HDT Forum on Escapees.com...http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?s=3e999dca1e4283ed79b90badbe5e6335&showforum=32...We are a few dozen members that all have Big Badass Trucks and Trailers, and have Piggyback Smart Cars!  :D