Since firmware update "Resting" mid day....

Started by Muskoka, October 24, 2016, 04:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muskoka

All was well until I flashed firmware 2096 and 2054 for the MNGP. It's happening mid day with lots of sun, batts are not full, goes from absorb to resting. The message is "RESTING (38:Uknown)". Is it safe to flash back to the previous firmware? I've flashed the latest twice, and done a soft reset (arrow keys), and hard jumper (VMM) reset. I have a Classic Lite 150.

Edit: Maybe I should have posted this under the firmware thread? Please move if that would be more appropriate.
Off grid - 24v System - Eco Worthy LiFePO4 12V 280ah x2 - Classic Lite 150 with MNGP wBjr - 1540w solar -  12v System - Antra Power 12v 210ah LiFePO4 - Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 - 820w Solar - Honda / Firman generators

Resthome

Quote from: Muskoka on October 24, 2016, 04:13:08 PM
All was well until I flashed firmware 2096 and 2054 for the MNGP. It's happening mid day with lots of sun, batts are not full, goes from absorb to resting. The message is "RESTING (38:Uknown)". Is it safe to flash back to the previous firmware? I've flashed the latest twice, and done a soft reset (arrow keys), and hard jumper (VMM) reset. I have a Classic Lite 150.

RFR #38 is because it is either is sensing another External charging source or Zero watts  @ or above set point for 90 seconds.  added 8-4-2015

This usual occurs and is normal when no loads are on the system and the battery bank has a residual voltage charge from just coming out of Absorb. Once that charge drops down to below the set point the Classing will come out of resting and begin its Float charge.  Or just turn on a load and it will come out of resting a lot quicker as the load pulls down the battery voltage.

So you really do not have to flash old firmware
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Muskoka

Quote from: Resthome on October 24, 2016, 04:23:45 PM

RFR #38 is because it is either is sensing another External charging source or Zero watts  @ or above set point for 90 seconds.  added 8-4-2015

This usual occurs and is normal when no loads are on the system and the battery bank has a residual voltage charge from just coming out of Absorb. Once that charge drops down to below the set point the Classing will come out of resting and begin its Float charge.  Or just turn on a load and it will come out of resting a lot quicker as the load pulls down the battery voltage.

Ok, it's been a while since I've flashed a firmware, there's been a few releases I'm sure since my last flash. It used to go straight to float when it was done absorb on the older firmware. Not quite sure I'm understanding what's happening. The batteries are not full, and the voltage is nowhere near the absorb voltage. With temperature compensation the absorb voltage is 15.1, and it was still resting at 14.5 volts, why. The other charge sources were not bringing the voltage to absorb (15.1), yet the Classic was sitting there doing nothing, resting, even with loads on the system?
Off grid - 24v System - Eco Worthy LiFePO4 12V 280ah x2 - Classic Lite 150 with MNGP wBjr - 1540w solar -  12v System - Antra Power 12v 210ah LiFePO4 - Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 - 820w Solar - Honda / Firman generators

Vic

Hi Glen,

You did the VMM,  and the Hard Reset   ...

Did you reset ALL of your system parameters in the Classic?

The Local App makes this easy,  if the current parameters are saved before the FW Update.

Believe that you use Graham's Android App,  which may also have a parameter save function as well ...

So  after the Update,  the VMM,  and Reset,  the Classic was in Bulk,  and went to Resting #38,  without going to Absorb?

When it was Resting,  what was the Vin to the Classic?
What is your Absorb voltage setting?
Was the other CC charging the batteries when the Classic was Resting?  If so,  what charge stage was it in,  and what was the battery voltage at that time?

YES,  you should be OK in doing an Update to a previous version of the Classic FW.

Thanks for any answers that you might have,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Muskoka

Quote from: Vic on October 24, 2016, 09:46:17 PM
Hi Glen,

You did the VMM,  and the Hard Reset   ...

Did you reset ALL of your system parameters in the Classic?

The Local App makes this easy,  if the current parameters are saved before the FW Update.

Believe that you use Graham's Android App,  which may also have a parameter save function as well ...

So  after the Update,  the VMM,  and Reset,  the Classic was in Bulk,  and went to Resting #38,  without going to Absorb?

When it was Resting,  what was the Vin to the Classic?
What is your Absorb voltage setting?
Was the other CC charging the batteries when the Classic was Resting?  If so,  what charge stage was it in,  and what was the battery voltage at that time?

YES,  you should be OK in doing an Update to a previous version of the Classic FW.

Thanks for any answers that you might have,   Vic

Hi Vic, yes all parameters were reset to what they were prior to doing the updates. I don't have any hard facts or figures to give you. I was out in the yard most of the afternoon, and when I came in the 2 Morningstars were in bulk mode chugging away, and the Classic was resting. This is the second time in 3 days that it's happened. Absorb is set to 14.7v for 3 hours, temperature compensated. Today, temp compensated absorb was 15.1v due to cooler weather. I can see in the Morningstar log that it was in absorb for 146 mins (also set to 3 hrs), and the Classic was always very similar to the Tristar Mppt.  I don't see anything in the Classic logs after 9:15 this morning, although it says on the MNGP that it produced .9kw today.

It doesn't look like the system got to float today on any of my controllers, that's fine. But why when absorb was 15.1v, and the batts were at 14.5v, was the Classic still resting. It should have been in bulk like the Morningstars. Prior to the update they were very predictable with their transitions from bulk to absorb to float. Now twice in 3 days the Classic has gone to resting while the others were in bulk mode. I don't know if the classic went to rest while the others were in bulk, but when I "noticed", the Classic was resting while the others were in bulk. If the Morningstars were in bulk, the Classic should also be in bulk, considering the voltage is not even close to absorb, and they didn't get to float.

edit: I just looked at the timer view in the MNGP and it shows absorb time of 2:59, so almost float. The Classic and Tristar were always within a few minutes of each other transitioning to float. I find it hard to believe that the Classic was at float, and the Tristar still had 34 mins to go. That never happened prior to doing the update. And, they were always very close in production, and today the Classic says .9kw and the Tristar says .6kw. I'll watch a little closer tomorrow and see what happens.

Vic

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the added info.

You are correct that during Bulk,  each charge source should contribute power,  based on its ability,  and each charger (CC) should not really care about any other charge source.

Guess that the TS CCs have a very similar Absorb voltage setting,  and that each of them has its own RTS/BTS (or share a single one),  that is on the same battery as is the Classic's BTS(?).

From the Absorb timer,  think that the Classic was in Absorb only for about one minute?

Perhaps,  tomorrow,  you could switch off one,  and then the other TS CC to see if the Classic will begin charging again,  after about two minutes,  or so.

You might also check that the Absorb voltage setting for the Classic is what you expect it to be.

You could also try reverting to your previous Classic FW version.

Cannot offer anything else at this point.   Thanks,   Vic

Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Muskoka

Yes, the Tristars have very similar parameters to the Classic. They all have their own temp sensors, and are attached to the same battery / location behind some foam. You are correct, forgot the timer counts down. That makes this even more confusing. For a few years on this system / setup 1kw was typical daily production from the Classic, and each Tristar, and always ended in hours of float provided the weather co-operated of course. So something is definitely not working properly with this firmware, and my setup. With .9kw of production yesterday the Classic should have been in float, or within a few minutes of going to float. Certainly not looking at 3 more hours of absorb after producing .9kw, that's for sure. I'll see what happens today and if it acts up I'll flash the older version. Thanks all for taking the time to offer help.

Resthome

Quote from: Muskoka on October 24, 2016, 04:37:24 PM
Quote from: Resthome on October 24, 2016, 04:23:45 PM

Ok, it's been a while since I've flashed a firmware, there's been a few releases I'm sure since my last flash. It used to go straight to float when it was done absorb on the older firmware. Not quite sure I'm understanding what's happening. The batteries are not full, and the voltage is nowhere near the absorb voltage. With temperature compensation the absorb voltage is 15.1, and it was still resting at 14.5 volts, why. The other charge sources were not bringing the voltage to absorb (15.1), yet the Classic was sitting there doing nothing, resting, even with loads on the system?

What is your Float Voltage set point on the Classic?  This is the voltage that the Classic is trying to reach after coming out of Absorb. If your batteries are above this for 90 sec the Classic will go to Resting until your batteries reach the Float set point voltage.  So what is your Float Set point voltage??

Edited: Do you have WBjr on the Classic?   Are you using End Amps to terminate Absorb?

After reading your last post and you saying it was showing .9Kw and you stated it was normal to get about 1kw it sure sounds like the Classic was in the process of transiting to Float.  Especially since you also indicated the Classic had been in Absorb.  I don't remember why this was put in the firmware but it had to do with external charging which you apparently have. boB would have to explain what the issue was.  Do you think the batteries are not full? If that is true maybe you need more than the 3hrs.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

Resthome

Quote from: Muskoka on October 25, 2016, 07:46:59 AM
Yes, the Tristars have very similar parameters to the Classic. They all have their own temp sensors, and are attached to the same battery / location behind some foam. You are correct, forgot the timer counts down. That makes this even more confusing. For a few years on this system / setup 1kw was typical daily production from the Classic, and each Tristar, and always ended in hours of float provided the weather co-operated of course. So something is definitely not working properly with this firmware, and my setup. With .9kw of production yesterday the Classic should have been in float, or within a few minutes of going to float. Certainly not looking at 3 more hours of absorb after producing .9kw, that's for sure. I'll see what happens today and if it acts up I'll flash the older version. Thanks all for taking the time to offer help.

See note from boB about RFR #38

http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?topic=2880.msg27522#msg27522

John

CDN-VT

I flashed firmware 2096 and 2054 for the MNGP. ----VMM) reset. I have a Classic Lite 150.

Is this a classic Light or Not ..
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Muskoka

Little to no sun yesterday, today is looking much better. Should be able to monitor things better today.

Float is set at 13.02v on all 3 controllers, per battery manufacture specs. Yes wbjr is installed, and no I'm not using end amps. The system has been "timed" for years, and has been working great. All 3 controllers transition to different modes within minutes of each other, and the batteries sg's are very happy, with minimal electrolyte loss. Yes, it's a Classic lite 150, with MNGP purchased separately.

I need a full sun day to see exactly what's going on. Yesterday the system didn't even get to Absorb on any of the controllers, just too grey out. Prior to doing the update the system was very well balanced between the 3 controllers. Something in the firmware update has thrown that out of whack. But like I said, I need a full sun day so I can see what's going on. Looks like some set points, and or times will need to be tweaked to get everybody back on track. The Classic and Tristar MPPT should be doing most of the charging, while the TS-60 kinda tags along, although they all contribute in bulk mode. When the system gets to Absorb voltage the TS-60 really does nothing, and that's the way I want it. The TS-60 should be resting, not the Classic. I'm almost certain there's nothing mechanically or electrically wrong here, it's just some change in the firmware, and I need a good day to monitor things, and see how well everybody plays together now. I can then re-adjust the system from there.

CDN-VT

Do you know the firmware you started with ?
So you might be able to go back & flash with the original setup .

Thanks on the lite & classic question .

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Resthome

Quote from: Muskoka on October 26, 2016, 09:57:11 AM
Little to no sun yesterday, today is looking much better. Should be able to monitor things better today.

Float is set at 13.02v on all 3 controllers, per battery manufacture specs. Yes wbjr is installed, and no I'm not using end amps. The system has been "timed" for years, and has been working great. All 3 controllers transition to different modes within minutes of each other, and the batteries sg's are very happy, with minimal electrolyte loss. Yes, it's a Classic lite 150, with MNGP purchased separately.

I need a full sun day to see exactly what's going on. Yesterday the system didn't even get to Absorb on any of the controllers, just too grey out. Prior to doing the update the system was very well balanced between the 3 controllers. Something in the firmware update has thrown that out of whack. But like I said, I need a full sun day so I can see what's going on. Looks like some set points, and or times will need to be tweaked to get everybody back on track. The Classic and Tristar MPPT should be doing most of the charging, while the TS-60 kinda tags along, although they all contribute in bulk mode. When the system gets to Absorb voltage the TS-60 really does nothing, and that's the way I want it. The TS-60 should be resting, not the Classic. I'm almost certain there's nothing mechanically or electrically wrong here, it's just some change in the firmware, and I need a good day to monitor things, and see how well everybody plays together now. I can then re-adjust the system from there.

Will be interesting to see what you find. And yes you can roll the Classic back to an older version of firmware.

If indeed the Classic completed absorb and is trying to go to the 13.02 or is that 13.2 v set point and the Tristar is still in absorb and holding the voltage higher then the Classic will go to resting. Your three hours is based on when each controllers enter Absorb. So their end time could be different. If the Tristar can hold the Absorb set point I would think it would eventually time out and drop to float also. Once the battery voltage drops to the Classic Float set point it should come out of Resting.
John

Muskoka

Everything is just fine. TS-60 went to float first, followed by the Tristar Mppt and shortly after the Classic Lite, after 3 hours of absorb. And, 30 seconds after the Classic Lite went to float my 400w heater kicked in as it should through the Fotek relay connected to Aux1, Float Hi mode. The heaters still running, with many starts of the fridge, all controllers are still in float, and continue to cover all the loads. Guess I'm all back to normal and good to go. All the battery cells are sg of 1.265 or slightly above, with no "spewing" from the Water Miser caps. Haven't seen "Resting" on the Classic Lite yet today. It's still chugging away providing 20a, and the TS-60 is pitching in with the other 15a that are necessary for current loads. Thanks again to everyone that helped :)

Resthome

Quote from: Muskoka on October 26, 2016, 02:41:14 PM
Everything is just fine. TS-60 went to float first, followed by the Tristar Mppt and shortly after the Classic Lite, after 3 hours of absorb. And, 30 seconds after the Classic Lite went to float my 400w heater kicked in as it should through the Fotek relay connected to Aux1, Float Hi mode. The heaters still running, with many starts of the fridge, all controllers are still in float, and continue to cover all the loads. Guess I'm all back to normal and good to go. All the battery cells are sg of 1.265 or slightly above, with no "spewing" from the Water Miser caps. Haven't seen "Resting" on the Classic Lite yet today. It's still chugging away providing 20a, and the TS-60 is pitching in with the other 15a that are necessary for current loads. Thanks again to everyone that helped :)

Good to hear !
John