News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

WBJr Ah Capacity

Started by mobywile, December 27, 2020, 02:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobywile

I am not sure how this happens, but my WBJr Ah Capacity has somehow set itself to 65111.  When I look at the Classic MNGP, the Ah number is 906, which is correct.  I have tried powering down the Classics, disconnecting the battery, waiting a minute and then resetting.  No change.  I have also tried disconnecting the purple wire and hoping for a reset.  No luck.
This is the second time this has happened and I cannot remember what I did to "fix it before.
I know I'm overlooking something, here.  Does anyone have a solution?
18x Suntech 180S-24, 2x MN Classic Lite 150 with remote MNGP, MN WBJr. 6x SimpliPhi 3.8 Kw 24vdc, , Magnum 4024 PAE.
Off-grid since 1980 and, maybe, done growing my system

boB

Did this increase happen all of a sudden or was it possible over the course of a few hours or minutes at least ?

One thing that can happen is possibly a loose screw holding the WB Jr. down to the shunt causing a high resistance connection.

Make sure those are tight and making good connection of course.

Will think of other things it might be...
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mobywile

I'm not sure if it took a few minutes or not.  It is possible, but not observed.
The screws on the shunt are tight. 
My batteries are LFPs.  I have been tweaking the realtionship between remaining amp hours and the transition from Absorb to Float.  My efficiency is set at 96% and the time of the Absorb is set at 12 minutes.  This has been working just fine for a while now.
That's all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks for the shout.
18x Suntech 180S-24, 2x MN Classic Lite 150 with remote MNGP, MN WBJr. 6x SimpliPhi 3.8 Kw 24vdc, , Magnum 4024 PAE.

boB

When the Classic is producing some good amount of power, try looking at the Amp-Hours in the WB Jr. menu and see if you can see it racking up the Amp-hours fairly quickly.

Another way this can happen, but I don't think it has happened is that there is a mode that was used for debugging that makes it count up or down fast. I have not heard of that setting ever being made, even accidently but I suppose there could be a first time.

At one point, years ago, I even took a 500 amp  50 mV  shunt and cut it up so that it would put out more voltage per amp just to make things go quickly for software verification.  I also don't remember how that setting gets turned on or off but we can have you look if you determine it is just counting fast.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mobywile

Thanks boB. 
It's evening here now, and snow is on the way so it might be a couple days 'til I can get a good charge going to look into your recomendation.
It is interesting that it goes to the same number every day.  This happened once before about amonth or so ago and it generated the exact number that it is using now.  When it discharges and the amp hours are negative, it exactly parallels the a/h counter on my Magnum inverter monitor.  It does not speed up. The plus and minus are the same, the WBJr just uses the 65111 as the net zero point.  This means that it is always either 99% or 100% as 1% equals 651 amp hours.  With the LFPs, I really want the WBJr to give me accurate SOC information.
I did manage to reset it last time but I've forgotten how.  Gettin' old can be a trial at times.
More later,
Moby

boB

Oh,  651 Ah and getting 65111  every time !

Yes, interesting...

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mobywile

Sorry, I may have misled you.  I meant that 651 equals 1% of the 65111 total.  I would have to use 651 amp hours to move the percent by one.  Therefore, I get no really  useful information from the WBJr by looking at the regular screen.  For the 3+ months I have had these batteries, the WBJr has been the most accurate and reliable source of info on SOC and i guess I have come to rely on it.
This morning, my Magnum monitor reads -243 and the WBJr reads 64864 or, minus 247, very close. 
It is snowing nicely now and it is expected to continue for at least 24 hours, maybe 36.  Therefore, zip on the charge cycle.
I appreciate that we need to figure out what happened, but I would like to know why it won't reboot when I, essentially, remove it from the system, i.e. shut down all power from the battery to the Classic and then shut down the array.  Also, nothing changes when I cisconnect the purple wire and then reattach it.  I find that strange. 
Of course, I only have a superficial knowledge of these sophisticted devices and that can be a problem as well. 
Again, thanks for your time and efforts.

Moby

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mobywile on December 28, 2020, 12:07:12 PM
Sorry, I may have misled you.  I meant that 651 equals 1% of the 65111 total.  I would have to use 651 amp hours to move the percent by one.  Therefore, I get no really  useful information from the WBJr by looking at the regular screen.  For the 3+ months I have had these batteries, the WBJr has been the most accurate and reliable source of info on SOC and i guess I have come to rely on it.
This morning, my Magnum monitor reads -243 and the WBJr reads 64864 or, minus 247, very close. 
It is snowing nicely now and it is expected to continue for at least 24 hours, maybe 36.  Therefore, zip on the charge cycle.
I appreciate that we need to figure out what happened, but I would like to know why it won't reboot when I, essentially, remove it from the system, i.e. shut down all power from the battery to the Classic and then shut down the array.  Also, nothing changes when I cisconnect the purple wire and then reattach it.  I find that strange. 
Of course, I only have a superficial knowledge of these sophisticted devices and that can be a problem as well. 
Again, thanks for your time and efforts.

Moby

Use the Local Status App to save your settings . Then do a VMM reset  -  you can then use Local Status App to load your settings back in after that.
Look in knowledge base under Classic and it tells there how to do VMM and also how to clear logs if that is what you want to do .
http://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/index.php

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mobywile

Hello Larry,

I take it you are recmmending the process that involves the changing of the jumpers.  This solution will reset the Classic and the MNGP in their entirety, no?  Is that the solution for the WBJr difficulty?  Pardon my naievete about this stuff, please, but I would like to find out what's up with the WBJr, correct it, and reset it to the correct values.   The Local Status App still reads the correct amp hour capacity at 906.  It doesn't read the erroneous 65111 that the WBJr does. 

I appreciate your patience on this.

Moby

boB

The jumper reset method is only if you don't have an MNGP.  For a while, we sold an MNGP-Less Classic.  Classic Lite.

Now I am not quite understanding.  You said you read -243 on the Magnum battery monitor but -247 on the Classic ?

OK, I see you were just not using signed arithmetic ?   

Have you checked the shunt sense screws with a meter to see if the shunt is giving you the correct voltage per amp ?

500 Amp at 50 mV  shunt ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mobywile

OK.  I have an MNGP and 2 Classic Lites. 

The minus numbers I stated are -243 on the Magnum. The -247 on the Classic, actually read 64864 which equals a minus 247.

I think remember doing the jumper reset at one time to install new firmware? 

I will test the shunt in a bit.  I need to shovel some snow first.

Thanks boB

mobywile

I tested the shunt voltage.  With a -54 amp draw, i read -5.9mv.
Hope I got this correct.

Moby

mobywile

Finally got some sun.  Charging at 105 amps I get 10.1mv on the shut.

Moby

boB

Quote from: mobywile on December 29, 2020, 01:51:19 PM
Finally got some sun.  Charging at 105 amps I get 10.1mv on the shut.

Moby

Yep, that would be the correct voltage for that current.

Now, what did the WB Jr. menu say that the current was ?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mobywile

The same within a volt or less.  I do check that from time to time, anyway, and they are very close.  Right now they are .1 vdc apart.
The net amp hours IN today are exactly the same from my Magnum and the WBJr.
Local App is also the same.
The net numbers are very close, it is just that pesky 65111 total that is a pain.  When I am 100% charged and the WBJr is adding positive net amp hours, that number doesn't go up along with it, though. 
We won't reach 100% today but tomorrow I can do some more checking.  I think the only craziness is that total number.  Everything else seems to be working great.  Do you need to access MyMidnite under my login?  Would that help?

Thanks for the coaching.