News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Hawke's Bay testing in Texas

Started by Highflyer, August 21, 2021, 06:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highflyer

We received a Hawke's Bay MPPT Charge Controller last last week.  And After a bit of an upgrade on our array, Hawke's Bay is doing nicely indeed.  Running 10 panels in a string has yielded 90% energy to the batteries in full sunlight (2070 watts from a 2300 watt setup).  The string has an MPPT voltage around 341 volts, this is not running HB very hard, but newer panels are on the way.  We are looking forward to the increased production out on the farm. 

HB is cool to the touch, this while it is "living" in our unconditioned barn in Hot and Humid Texas.

One or two Beta issues have been found and passed on to the "coordinator". 

All in all first impressions are very positive.  As the software matures, this MPPT charge controller should be very capable.  One of the teasers in the menus is its integration with an inverter.... More to come on that in the future!
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Vic

Hi Brian,  Thanks for the HB update.

Looks beautiful,  in every way.

You are off to a great start.

Have fun,  Thanks again,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Highflyer

Finding a few more quirks, but I am really impressed with how well HB works.  This is going to change the game.  And with the new barn being built, I see a lot of solar in our future.

Here are the 10 panels flying.
Brian

mike90045

WOW !  I'll bet you can get some wind coming off that lake .  Hope the mounts can take it, or they will be "Flying".
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Highflyer

The mount will be there for a long time... a long time :)

It has seen several very high wind days, no problems.
Brian

Highflyer

Well I finally got the fan to turn on, almost didn't notice.  It was very quiet. Looking forward to more functionality as soon as new firmware comes out.  It is clear there is a lot of expansion capability planned for this unit. 
Brian

boB

Quote from: Highflyer on September 08, 2021, 10:05:08 AM
Well I finally got the fan to turn on, almost didn't notice.  It was very quiet. Looking forward to more functionality as soon as new firmware comes out.  It is clear there is a lot of expansion capability planned for this unit.

Hold on to your ear plugs !   It has two (2) speeds I think !

Actually, I don't remember how loud it is ?   Maybe you need to make more power !   :)

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

I'm going for more power!  Better panels are in the cards!  I just need to see what fits on the upgraded mount.
Brian

Highflyer

The Boss says I get better panels when I i have a use for the extra energy.  IE when Rosie shows up, I get new panels!!
Brian

boB

Quote from: Highflyer on September 15, 2021, 07:15:45 PM
The Boss says I get better panels when I i have a use for the extra energy.  IE when Rosie shows up, I get new panels!!

Good reason to wait !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

Well the panels did get upgraded and now the new version of HB is arriving tomorrow.  I have a 3.4 kW array on the tracker right now and I can add more panels if needed to the array to push HB a little.  Also, I converted to LiFePo4 batteries.  This winter should be very comfortable indeed. 

Attached is a picture of the new panels on the array.  You can also see a 48V Chinook.  It has also been fun to play with!

The new barn will also be a test site for Barcelona.  NOW I really need Rosie!  I have so many things to do, I need more power!
Brian

boB

That's great !  Keep us posted.

The Classic's wind track mode code was done on one of those Chinooks here at my place in Everett.

Luckily, I had windy  October WX to work on it.  It was some kind of prototype  And the neighbors loved it !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

We call our windmill Wendy, because when it's windy, Wendy whines.  I have seem 4.8 amps on a really windy day.  It is a good windmill to learn on.  I can't do any real harm, and the little extra energy added to the lead acid batteries is a bonus.
Brian

Highflyer

The new hawk's bay is here.  It should be up and running in the morning.  The WX does not seem to want to cooperate as cloudy WX and rain is in the forecast for a while.  Low light performance should be easy to test though.  I'll update as things move forward!
Brian

boB

Waiting...  Watching...  Whimpering...

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me