News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Rosie Testing in Texas!

Started by Highflyer, January 26, 2023, 11:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

HF,

I was checking the post and didnt see any reference to your system the rosie has been installed with. Could you advise on the main system components your Rosie is working with.

Damani

Highflyer

You bet,

I have a Hawk's Bay, a Barcelona, a DIY 5048 and Rosie.  I am using lithium (600 AH) for my batteries and I have around 6kW of solar panels powering my aquaponic system. 

I have a backup lead-acid battery which is charged by a Midnite windmill.

I plan to use Rosie for the entire barn after I learn what I can do with her. 

Does that help?

Brian

The one thing is the one thing

dapdan

HF,

Yes it does. Your lithium are LifePo4 and are they built by yourself with cells or a finished product like the rack mounted battery systems. 30kwh bank is a good size as well.

Damani

Highflyer

Damani,

I use both, but the system with Rosie is rack mount LiFePo4 batteries.
Brian

Highflyer

Well we ran several thousand watts for hours a day or two ago.  Rosie did not care.  Temps were very good, and no hot spots found. 

I think we will up the game next week. I think I'm going to need a bigger load.....
Brian

qrper

I wonder how Rosie would handle a 7kW load for hours on end? Like for charging my EV. That's assuming I have enough battery/solar to keep up.

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

Highflyer

Mike,

That is on the list of tests.  I'll let you know.
Brian

boB

Quote from: qrper on February 11, 2023, 02:38:32 PMI wonder how Rosie would handle a 7kW load for hours on end? Like for charging my EV. That's assuming I have enough battery/solar to keep up.

Mike

I think the Charger portion is good for some 5+ kW  but not quite 7.

Like, 120 amps or so

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

boB,

I thought he was asking how using the 240VAC output from Rosie at 7000watts to charge an EV (level 2) would work out.  That is the test I am going to get ready to do.
Brian

boB

Quote from: Highflyer on February 11, 2023, 07:43:02 PMboB,

I thought he was asking how using the 240VAC output from Rosie at 7000watts to charge an EV (level 2) would work out.  That is the test I am going to get ready to do.

Oh !  OK.   

That might be more.

Lettuce know hot it goes !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

Brian

Highflyer

The new software seems to be maturing well.  The SOC for the battery pack seems right on.

I have increased the loads on Rosie, but I have not yet pulled the full 7000 watts for more that a few minutes.  I have pulled over 4000 watts for a long time and found no hot spots. I am adding additional outlets to see if I can get to the full 7000 watts next week. Also, I now have the material to move Rosie to the area where the E panel for the entire barn is located and plan to run on Rosie power alone if possible.  Testing continues. 

I do know the fans do run, but only because I reboot after each software update. So far, Rosie has exceeded my expectations.  She is a great tribute to the ladies of the greatest generation. 
Brian

Highflyer

Rosie keeps on running well above my expectations.  I now have the parts to add a 30 foot 240 outlet to my E-panel for Rosie to power my Welder. I am going to guess the welder will be no issue.  It is a Millermatic 180 in 240 VAC.  I'll let you all know how she does after this next trip.  Here is to welding up my next array with solar power from Rosie!

Brian

boB

Awesome Brian !

Really glad it is working good for you !   

What do you think about the performance to weight ratio ?

MY new marketing term !

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

Funny you should say that as I understand the RV market is really interested in Rosie.  Pound for Pound, Rosie is one of the best inverters I have used. 

Think about it, at 7000 watts, Rosie has more available watts than a home power panel's inverter.  You get to choose the battery size and at 7000 watts, run what you would like for as long as you would like.  It is all up to you. 

Also, I think I remember you or Robin saying Rosie might get upgraded to something more than 7000 watts.  Is that still in the cards? 
Brian