New Off Grid Inverter Charger

Started by nigel, June 15, 2012, 11:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobWhite

Quote from: Robin on March 06, 2016, 01:08:15 PM
The large 48V battery based inverter called the Ego is expected to ship at the end of this year. We still have a long ways to go before it is ready for sale, but we have ten engineers working on this project. I have worked on lots of inverters over the past 26 years, but the Ego is by far the largest project to date, so when I say end of the year, be aware that there are a lot of issues we will need to overcome. That said, we are trying get our first beta units ready for in house and very limited field testing in three months. Once the Ego is on the market, we will be able to quickly come out with smaller derivatives of the Ego.

Thank you Robin!
Patience is not always my best trait but Ill try to hang in there as I have never been disappointed with any product Ive received from you Folks!

Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

Robin

If you can wait, I can promise you that you will not be disappointed. This is nothing like anything you have ever seen or used. Yah, ok it does invert and charge, but it is just so cool, it will make you want to instantly sell your old stuff and get one on order. I have never said anything like this about the other 2 dozen inverters I have been involved with. I do the mechanical design, not the electronics, but I do steer the electrical guys to do it right. Many of those inverters went on to become the inverters that all others were judged by. This has been happening for a long time. This one is in a class by itself.
Robin Gudgel

dgd

So will a 50Hz 230Vac version be released at the same time?
Any info of the likely weight and physical size dimensions?
Also the DC input cable connectors - are they decent size ring lug connectors rather than stick bare cable end into receptacle with tightening bolt (as in Classic)

dgd

Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

BobWhite

Quote from: Robin on March 06, 2016, 08:30:49 PM
If you can wait, I can promise you that you will not be disappointed. This is nothing like anything you have ever seen or used. Yah, ok it does invert and charge, but it is just so cool, it will make you want to instantly sell your old stuff and get one on order. I have never said anything like this about the other 2 dozen inverters I have been involved with. I do the mechanical design, not the electronics, but I do steer the electrical guys to do it right. Many of those inverters went on to become the inverters that all others were judged by. This has been happening for a long time. This one is in a class by itself.

Robin
I believe all you have to say and will wait for your inverter, I don't wish to do my system twice and feel that the MN inverter is well worth waiting for!
walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Robin

Bob White, I see you have 2 Brats that have problems. You also have one Classic resting?
Is there something we can help with?
Robin Gudgel

BobWhite

Quote from: Robin on March 07, 2016, 12:54:11 AM
Bob White, I see you have 2 Brats that have problems. You also have one Classic resting?
Is there something we can help with?

thank you Robin, the two Brats are ok. I need to pick up some proper panels for them before putting them back into service. One I smoked it running off panels not appropriate and voltage was too high. Wasn't thinking about what i was doing you could say.  I had it fixed http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?topic=2690.0  As soon as we slow down at work I will pick up panels about two hours away and most likely new batteries as the batteries have been bouncing around in the back of my truck all winter running a snow plow and four flood lights.
I do have many projects going and the wormer / longer daylight days will help! Thats  along as I take my time and do it right :)
The resting classic I Have a project going that involves a group of people Raising Quail (BobWhites  :D ) We Had a large lose in 2015 to a gray fox
and will hopefully get the project back on track this year.

I do thank you Robin!

Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198

RossW

Quote from: Robin on March 05, 2016, 04:33:14 PM
No, it isn't that radical, but it is really different for sure.

A tiny power-block of ultra-efficient design, but that is massively stackable. Tiny little inverter blocks of say, 100W, but if you stack 10, or 100, or 1000 of them together - for $2 a piece, it lets you have very low stock count, virtually infinitely scalable, and internal redundancy (if you lose a couple, no biggie). Probably easy enough to make 'em hot-swappable.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

qaggaz

Quote from: Robin on March 03, 2016, 10:57:26 PM
As far as optimizers go, we are definitely looking at that.

Great!

I suppose we could offer screaming deals to willing participants, but they are too costly to just give away.

A screaming deal is better than no deal at all! I look forward to reading more about the EGo in the coming months.

CDN-VT

I suppose we could offer screaming deals to willing participants, but they are too costly to just give away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm In , just give us a week to have the cash ready for Pick-up.

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Robin

Ross, did you ever think about the connectors required for infinite stacking? The EGo is stackable for sure, but not 100 watts each. It is a bit more.
Robin Gudgel

clockmanFrance

RossW, I like it....

'Eltek' in Norway, (closely guarded secret on their products, I was sworn to ssshhhh just to get a manual), do a very good stackable PSU plug in system for isolated European telecoms installations.

The quality is superb and the insides are neat.

I have to modify those power Pins for individual Unit use.

dgd

Quote from: Robin on March 05, 2016, 04:33:14 PM
No, it isn't that radical, but it is really different for sure.
I think I added a CAD picture of this before, but this one is more real.

With these image snippets it looks like the new inverter is progressing to completion
I know you said in earlier posts here that a 230Vac version was not too easy to do but perhaps, taking into account Hofstadter's Law, sometime several Qs after the initial released 110v version?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Robin

We now believe the 120/240VAC 60Hz version will be the same for you at 230VAC 50Hz. There will be a setting or jumper to tall the inverters what to do. then inside the wiring compartment, you would not hook up to the neutral. We think this will work. If it does work, then we would want to include some stickers to replace some of the 120/240 stickers. Mostly it would be replacing the AC hot 1 and AC hot 2 with AC hot and AC neutral or something like that.
We have 7 people working on circuit board layout. We have some of the boards in house, some on order, some in layout and some on round two of layout.
We are going as fast as we can, but we are still a couple months away from having a complete unit put together. You have no idea what a large and complicated project this is.
Robin Gudgel

onanparts

I bribed an Engineer at Midnite....He/She swore me to secrecy if I revealed too much info on the new Inverter/Charger. A veiled threat of a permanent ban on any Midnite BETA Testing offers was clearly stated.  :-X

This is my first impression: WOW! & WOW again! That's just from a visual of the prototype. Did I say, WOW! OK, I did...

The boring metal box hanging on a wall or sitting on a shelf is NOT what they are designing/creating. This isn't going to be just eye candy, the internals will be loaded with lots of protein! When Robin stated that once you know the specs and capabilities of the EGo, you will want one and your old or current Inverter will seem like a Model T in comparison.

Everything you dislike about your current Inverter has been addressed. Or almost everything. User friendly? Check. Upgradeable? Check. Versatility? Check. Local & Remote monitoring/access? Check. Features you can't even imagine? Check.

For anyone that's been waiting or wanting the ultimate Inverter/Charger, stop holding your breath. It will be here very soon. :)

Sorry, no pictures......but, Robin says you are welcome to stop in at Midnite Solar in Arlington and SEE the new Inverter prototype in person for yourself! Yes, you are reading that correctly. It's not Vaporware! Best to contact boB or Robin before stopping in so one or the other is around to show it to you. :)

Please note: They asked me not to take any pics of it while I was there. Understandable as Midnite should be the ones to drop the curtain so to speak, when it's ready to meet the world. :)

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I