A CLASSIC PRODUCT ADDITION ???

Started by Barry Fields, May 09, 2024, 10:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 15, 2024, 07:35:58 PMin addition to the above questions,

Do the hawksbay and barcelona also use modbus to communicate?

No, they use Canbus

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Do they use something different than MNGP or just a different version of MGNP?
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

boB

MNGP2  which is CAN

Completely different than the MNGP

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on May 16, 2024, 12:38:01 PMMNGP2  which is CAN

Sooo It would make sense if we wish to use BBMT on classic 150 or Hawksbay, it should have both modbus and Can capabilities.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 16, 2024, 12:56:19 PM
Quote from: boB on May 16, 2024, 12:38:01 PMMNGP2  which is CAN

Sooo It would make sense if we wish to use BBMT on classic 150 or Hawksbay, it should have both modbus and Can capabilities.

BBMT ?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on May 16, 2024, 04:07:42 PMBBMT ?

from a few posts back
First we need to name this potential new product. I would suggest BBMT (Barry's Better Mouse Trap). ;D

Barry Fields

Is my security clearance high enough to ask what MCU is used in the Hawkesbay and Barcelona ( I presume they are the same)?

Barry Fields

More stuff I do not know:

In the Classic is the battery voltage stored in a registry as a 10bit value?
Could a more accurate 12 bit value be stored and processed?

In general if you wanted an MCU to be able to communicate with either modbus or canbus, can that be done with one bridge and one r485 connector or would you need two?

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 20, 2024, 02:37:21 PMIs my security clearance high enough to ask what MCU is used in the Hawkesbay and Barcelona ( I presume they are the same)?

They are ARM Cortex-M3  parts from NXP.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 21, 2024, 12:22:34 PMMore stuff I do not know:

In the Classic is the battery voltage stored in a registry as a 10bit value?
Could a more accurate 12 bit value be stored and processed?

In general if you wanted an MCU to be able to communicate with either modbus or canbus, can that be done with one bridge and one r485 connector or would you need two?

Most values are stored as 16 bit words.

Not sure of the A/D word size.  Either 10 or 12 bits.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on May 21, 2024, 03:51:56 PMThey are ARM Cortex-M3  parts from NXP.

Am I correct in that mcu is limited to 8adc channels (4 differential)?

In which case maybe STM32F030 might be better suited with "The 12-bit analog to digital converter has up to 16 external and two internal (temperature sensor, voltage reference measurement) channels and performs conversions in single-shot or scan modes. In scan mode, automatic conversion is performed on a selected group of
analog inputs.

That would allow for 4bank monitoring (uses 8 channels) plus Remote Battery Sensing (1 input).

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 21, 2024, 12:22:34 PMIn general if you wanted an MCU to be able to communicate with either modbus or canbus, can that be done with one bridge and one r485 connector or would you need two?

I am still learning.

Barry Fields

It is best that I drag this all together in an illustrative format.  Most all the proposals have been discussed in detail in a myriad of posts over the last year or so.

I am indeed open to answer any questions?

I want to express my thanks to many of you for your patience and cooperation.

ClassicCrazy

I have a friend who uses PLC to do things like you have drawn up. It can read modbus and sensors and has built in relays and logic , etc.
I don't know PLC's but have messed around with Node Red a little bit which can do all by running on a Raspberry Pi or PC . There is no end to the coms , inputs , outputs, of any type with Node Red. But I am no expert in that - just know the basics .
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Barry Fields

Pause for reflection:

Is there anything I have suggested that:

1) "could not work"?

2) That would require any modification to existing MidNite charge controllers except maybe a firmware upgrade?

3) That would not add to or improve the capabilities of MidNite charge controllers?

Any positive or negative feedback would be appreciated.

Barry

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 22, 2024, 12:38:11 PMPause for reflection:

Is there anything I have suggested that:

1) "could not work"?

2) That would require any modification to existing MidNite charge controllers except maybe a firmware upgrade?

3) That would not add to or improve the capabilities of MidNite charge controllers?

Any positive or negative feedback would be appreciated.

Barry

Barry, let's see your idea of a phone app and how it would show data

That's what people want

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me