A CLASSIC PRODUCT ADDITION ???

Started by Barry Fields, May 09, 2024, 10:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on May 22, 2024, 04:05:25 PMBarry, let's see your idea of a phone app and how it would show data

Can a person connect to the Classic or Hawkes with a android cellphone? I think yes.

Any data in the BBMT should be available over the modbus/canbus thru the Classic/Hawkes.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

Barry Fields

I have updated the BBMT block diagram.

The purple wire to the classic AUX2 WBjr port could transmit both Bank voltage and current (alternately).
You would no longer need a Power cycle on that line.
This would not load up the MODBUS with "fast data".

The BBMT could generate the PWM signal.

This would provide:
12bit accuracy of PWM calculations (lithium)
Off loading PWM calculations to BBMT freeing up Charge Controller CPU time.
Remote battery buss sensing 12bit to the charge controller.
Allow the Charge Controller to occasionally check Controller to Battery buss excess voltage drop.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

Barry Fields

Just trying to get a grip on rough timing issues.

Do the Classic or Hawkesbay continually respond to WBjr uart input or do they have to request it? If so how often?

How long would it take for a STM32F030 to check 9 ADC inputs (4 bank currents and bank voltage), add the 4 bank currents together, store that data in historical memory and output that data over uart?

What is a reasonable update time for SOC calculations in the Classic and Hawkesbay?

The MCU in the Classic max is 72 MHZ. The STM32F030 max is 48mhz. Is that a significant issue?

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 26, 2024, 11:26:13 AMJust trying to get a grip on rough timing issues.

Do the Classic or Hawkesbay continually respond to WBjr uart input or do they have to request it? If so how often?

How long would it take for a STM32F030 to check 9 ADC inputs (4 bank currents and bank voltage), add the 4 bank currents together, store that data in historical memory and output that data over uart?

What is a reasonable update time for SOC calculations in the Classic and Hawkesbay?

You could take a look at the code Graham wrote to see how he does it .
I was trying to find the timings in there but I am not good enough with code.
https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ClassicMQTT/blob/master/code/Python/support/classic_modbusdecoder.py
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

The Classic updates SOC 10 times per second.  That is internally though.  The SOC is most likely pulled from the Classic much less frequently, like once or twice per second max.

Internally the SOC is measured in amp-seconds or amp-milliseconds.

For what you want to do, 48 MHz is probably just fine.  I tend to go with faster clock speeds these days.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 26, 2024, 11:26:13 AMDo the Classic or Hawkesbay continually respond to WBjr uart input or do they have to request it? If so how often?

I asking about the BATTvolts and BATTcurrent. How often and how long does it take?

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 26, 2024, 05:03:37 PM
Quote from: Barry Fields on May 26, 2024, 11:26:13 AMDo the Classic or Hawkesbay continually respond to WBjr uart input or do they have to request it? If so how often?

I asking about the BATTvolts and BATTcurrent. How often and how long does it take?

The WB Jr. is queried by the Classic or HB or Barcelona as often as it wants but maximum of 16 Hz I think.

Right now it is being sampled 10 times per second.   You only do things as fast as they are required otherwise it takes extra processor resources.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on May 27, 2024, 01:32:11 AMThe WB Jr. is queried by the Classic or HB or Barcelona as often as it wants but maximum of 16 Hz I think.

Right now it is being sampled 10 times per second.  You only do things as fast as they are required otherwise it takes extra processor resources.

I was under the impression that the WBjr ran async with no request required.

Attached is a block with what I think I know.

Barry Fields

Let us remember my goal here:

For the Classic line

Eliminate the need to redesign the Classic line. It's not broke!
   Improve the current resolution (SOC calc & Float current)
   Add remote battery sense w/improved resolution (lifepo4 charging & setpoint/range discrimination)

for all MidNite charge controllers

Add improved Charge Regimen (Float current confirmed Absorb time)
   Add parallel battery bank monitoring (battery bank health, Float current tracking, Current contribution/bank)
   Add sequential load management based on PWM
   Additional sense inputs (? batt box temp, ambient temp, h2o sense...?)

The BBMT would give a functional upgrade path without  unneeded additional MPPT and Charging abilities (major cost  portion of an additional charge controller)

Barry Fields

Even more stuff I do not know:

I understand the MPPT calculations need to be performed rapidly. I think I hear you saying that SOC and charging voltages are sampled @ 10/second. Battery voltages and currents move much slower than PV stuff.

If the Battery parameters were sampled @ 7 or 5 /second, would it reduce the accuracy enough to worry about? (it would free up MCU time)

just asking

Barry Fields

When the Classic stores and accesses EEPROM data, am I correct that is done thru DMA and not MODBUS?

Concerning the previous question, if the sample rate was 8/sec, then adding the last 8 samples and shifting the last 3 LSBs would give you the last 1second avg (approx).