Proposed Solar Charging Regimen (sanity check)

Started by Barry Fields, May 25, 2024, 06:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Fields

I am about to forward the below to East Penn Batteries to ask for comments and "?approval?".
I would appreciate any input aforehand.

Proposed Solar Charging Regimen
Let me start by thanking you and your team for all the knowledge you have shared with me over the last couple of years. You all are appreciated.  I do not claim to know everything but I will begin with what I think I know.
Charging in a SOLAR environment is challenging at best.
For the sake of battery health and longevity the goal is to routinely charge a battery or battery bank to close to 100%SOC at least every third day and avoid excessive over charging.
The many variables such as the amount of solar panels, the capacity of the charge controller, the size of the battery bank and the daytime and nighttime loading of the battery bank vary widely from one system to the next. Some battery banks may start the day at 50%SOC and others at 85%SOC. Each would require different considerations.
The traditional method is a bulk charge voltage until an ABSORB voltage is reached and maintain that  voltage for a specified time. Because the solar delivery of voltage and currents fluctuate greatly over the course of a day (or week), one specific ABSORB time is an inadequate solution. That time will either be to short to obtain 100%SOC or lead to extended overcharging.
One commonly used solution is to used is to use ENDAMPS to terminate the ABSORB cycle. It is unclear to me that this as accurate and reproducable as many believe. Consider a partly cloudy day with a sudden burst of sunshine. There is also considerable disagreement as to what value ENDAMPS should be.
It is also a benefit to assure adequate ABSORB time in  the 85%-100% SOC range for cell equalization. This reduces the need for EQUALIZATION charges (battery longevity).
Given the above, I would like to propose the following: (variables in bold are up to debate)
FLOAT CURRENT VERIFICATION OF THE ABSORB CYCLE
Initially, the traditional BULK/ABSORB cycle would terminate at ENDAMPS = 2.15 amps (GL10 215AH example)
FLOAT would begin and run for a stabilization time FLOATtime = 5minutes
If the measured FLOAT CURRENT < +10% TARGET FLOAT CURRENT 500ma (GC10=450ma) then continue FLOAT. Set a FLAG for sucessfull Full Charge.
If the measured FLOAT CURRENT > +10% TARGET FLOAT CURRENT 500ma (GC10=450ma) then store LAST FLOAT CURRENT and return to ABSORB for an additional 25minutes (fixed time NOT ENDAMPS)..
Return to FLOAT for stabilization and recheck FLOAT CURRENT and compare to LAST FLOAT CURRENT. If there is progress, loop back to ABSORB for another 25 minute cycle (fixed time NOT ENDAMPS). .
More than 6 loop backs would suggest a decrease in ENDAMPS value or an aging battery bank and a re-assessment of the TARGET FLOAT CURRENT .
If the FLAG for successful Full Charge has not been reset in 3 days a warning that a manual utility charge is in order.

I do not believe that my suggestion is at odds with anything in your publication "Monoblock Flooded System  Installation and Operation Manual". It should also work with SLA and GEL systems (different parameters).
I plan to log long term trends in FLOAT CURRENT. My understanding is 3x-6x original specifications is the start of concerns.
I also plan to monitor Parallel Battery Bank Strings for individual float current  and discharge current contribution.

I would appreciate any input you may have. Obviously I would love to receive a "wow what a great idea" response, but I am aware that some issues may need addressing.
Best Regards,  Barry Fields
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

boB

Ending amps can be fine BUT you can't do that every single day with lead acid batteries!

LA batteries need a timed absorb cycle every now and then.  At least like, once per week.

I don't really know what the ending amps should be ?  I think that the battery manufacturer should show that number.  But they still need to be absorbed.  If you do that, I don't think you need to equalize much, if at all.  Absorb and EQ are both to help reduce sulfation.

With an amp-hour system and LA, the system should really be able to let you know if the batteries have lost capacity.  I know that my LA batteries which happen to be pretty flat these days could be flagged with using the WB. Jr.

As for Float time, during the day when production is good, there is no reason why the solar (or whatever source) can't keep the batteries SOC% from being drawn down by keeping the float voltage just above the batteries resting voltage.  Then there should be more energy left there for the night time.

boB

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on May 26, 2024, 05:06:58 PMLA batteries need a timed absorb cycle every now and then.  At least like, once per week.

That is what this regimen does. The time for absorb is adjusted according to results (FLOAT current). Some days longer, some days shorter.

{added text to above} loop backs are fixed time NOT ENDAMPS
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

Barry Fields

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 25, 2024, 06:51:54 PMI am about to forward the below to East Penn Batteries to ask for comments and "?approval?".
I would appreciate any input aforehand.

Last chance for comments before I email this proposal.
Thanks Barry

SENT 5/29

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on May 28, 2024, 02:39:05 PMGo for it !

If things go as well as I expect, might MidNIte apply for a "process patent" that could be licensable to other solar companies? Just a thought.

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 30, 2024, 09:40:00 AM
Quote from: boB on May 28, 2024, 02:39:05 PMGo for it !

If things go as well as I expect, might MidNIte apply for a "process patent" that could be licensable to other solar companies? Just a thought.

Patents are expensive and time consuming so probably not.

Build one up and sell them ?  Besides, whatever you have said on this forum might be considered as published now ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on May 30, 2024, 12:38:59 PMBesides, whatever you have said on this forum might be considered as published now ?

I talked to Hillary Clinton. You apply for the Patent and I will start deleting posts and emails.  ;D

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 30, 2024, 04:11:45 PM
Quote from: boB on May 30, 2024, 12:38:59 PMBesides, whatever you have said on this forum might be considered as published now ?

I talked to Hillary Clinton. You apply for the Patent and I will start deleting posts and emails.  ;D

I LOVE it Barry !

OH !  And better contact the Japanese ambassador !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me