Only see one controller

Started by Rngr275, November 28, 2012, 06:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rngr275

I installed the Local app on my Mac, ran a line from my classic up to my router, watched the videos a couple times. Launched the local app and the controller I am connected  to shows up but there is no drop down arrow from an additional classic (I have 2 200's). I checked the net settings on the controller that doesn't show up and everything on there IP address, etc is 0's. IP 00.00.00.0.00. Do I have to have a cable for each controller coming to my router? I hope not. I checked the manual but didn't see anything that will help. Suggestions? Do I need to do something special in the controller or something else? Controller 2 is set to DHCP.

Halfcrazy

If they are all named Classic or any like name for that matter the drop down arrow will only show one name instance. Click the Minimize tab top middle and if they both show than you will need to rename one of them.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Rngr275

I clicked the minimize and only one shows. There is no arrow for the drop down menu to choose a different classic. Should the second controller have every setting saying o's? The IP address is all zero's, the next line down all zero's, the next page all lines are zero's. How do I rename the classic? Also, when I click the config tab ... a pop up saying that data has been loaded pops up and then immediately I get kicked out to the start screen and it shows the classic (the only one I can see) unavailable. I can tell from the IP address but it reappears with a refreshed IP address... usually 1 number up. i.e. 192.168.1.26.502 then 192-168.1.27.502

boB

At the moment, all Classics will have to have its own connection to your router via its own Ethernet
connection.  Sorry about that Rngr.

There is no way to use just one Ethernet connection and then access the other controllers over the
RS-232 phone cable network between Classics.  At least not yet anyway.

We use a lot of WiFi bridges to connect to multiple Classics and one router when we don't want
to run cables.

I don't know why your second Classic would show all 0.0.0.0's....  Are you seeing those numbers in
the MNGP display in the NET menu ??

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Rngr275

That is correct boB.. all zero's on the net menu.

Thanks for the info.

Halfcrazy

I completely missed the part about the second one not being plugged in. Sorry about that. If cabling is a hardship maybe use the one cable you have to go to a switch and then to each classic.

Ryan

boB

Quote from: Rngr275 on November 29, 2012, 06:19:04 AM
That is correct boB.. all zero's on the net menu.

Thanks for the info.

Are you in DHCP mode ?  If the Classic is connected to a router, that router should fill in the
blanks.

Also, do the LEDs on the Ethernet jack flash and blink when it is connected ??

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

toothy

I am having the same issues as Rngr zero's and stuff.

I also thought follow me and local app= all classics over one cable so I only ran one.

boB, are we to assume, "At the moment, all Classics will have to have its own connection...." means one of these days we will see them all with one cable?

I wish I'd known about the cable thing before the the half day of button pushing beer drinking and kicking the cat!!

Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

boB

Quote from: toothy on December 08, 2012, 02:31:20 AM
I am having the same issues as Rngr zero's and stuff.

I also thought follow me and local app= all classics over one cable so I only ran one.

boB, are we to assume, "At the moment, all Classics will have to have its own connection...." means one of these days we will see them all with one cable?

I wish I'd known about the cable thing before the the half day of button pushing beer drinking and kicking the cat!!

Wade

Oh No !  Please don't hurt your kitty !!

No, I don't forsee the local app being able to look at other Classics through the phone cables connected up to
the one Classic connected to the Ethernet router or switch.  It's pretty easy to add an Ethernet switch though
to connect to about as many Classics as you want to.

My original intention many years ago was to be able to do what you are wanting to do with the phone
cables and the follow me.  It is much harder than I thought.  However, there may be some things
you may eventually be able to see about other Classics on the network like kW-Hours or voltage
and power but not all the information from the other Classics.

Sorry I can't be more positive about that.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

toothy

The beer is gone, the cat is purring away but the buttons may never recover.

I went and hooked the cable up to the other classic and it's pissed.

So, I'll wade out through the blizzard and switch the ethernet back to the wind Classic and use that one for diversion. I don't know why I wanted to do diversion with the other unit to begin with.

Thanks boB

Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

toothy

I have a cable question. I ran one cat5 for the Classic local app, and one for the diversion ssr, which needs only 2 of the 8 wires.

How many wires does the Classic use of the 8 in the cable? Will she fly on 6? Local app wise.

Thanks
Wade

boB

Quote from: toothy on December 12, 2012, 01:48:29 AM
I have a cable question. I ran one cat5 for the Classic local app, and one for the diversion ssr, which needs only 2 of the 8 wires.

How many wires does the Classic use of the 8 in the cable? Will she fly on 6? Local app wise.

Thanks
Wade

I think it will fly on 4 pins but it looks like all 8 pins are used.  Look at the right side of this schematic of the jack internals.
Looks like they use 4 pins for 75 Ohm resistors, probably for Power Over Ethernet.  J4,5 and J7,8

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

In my experience 4 wires are reserved for POE (power over Ethernet). You in theory should be able to define a pair of those and use them for the ssr.

Ryan

boB

From that schematic of the jack, it looks like you won't be able to use any pins as they all look used up.

They could have left 2 of them unused though, but doesn't look like they did on the jack that we use

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

toothy

Half and boB

I take your last 2 posts to mean that the 2 of you don't totally agree on if all pairs are used or not.

If you 2 are having issues like this, I can see my chances of a positive execution of said plan going to smoke and tears for sure.

I can try for another wire when this place thaws out in May. Seeing one controller from the house is great.

Thanks
Wade