News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Rosie Testing in Texas!

Started by Highflyer, January 26, 2023, 11:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highflyer

I have a tracking number and Rosie is set to be delivered today!

A little background.  Robin had a thread here on the forum which was the contest to name their new inverter. The B-17 was already named.  Their smaller self contained inverter was planed to be either 2000 watts in 12 volts or 4000 watts in 24 or 48 volts.  Well we all knew from the start it wasn't going to be ONLY 4000 watts.  Heck its Midnite.  But the new smaller plucky inverter needed a name. 

Other offered very good names and the contest continued. I even tossed in a few names that did not make the cut.  Then I was talking to a good friend about a physics class back in the day and I remembered some of my professors and the staff which guided us along.  One of those people was Stella, she really was one of the Rosie the riveters back in the day, except she was a welder back in WWII.  I thought, hey, how about one for the ladies and I offered "Rosie" as the name.  Well I got calls from several on the ladies who work at Midnite thanking me for including them.  The name stuck.

Now today, I am about to receive my Rosie to test here in Texas.  I have a lot of stuff to play with in the barn including a five HP air compressor, and my welder.  I am told Rosie is ready. I have a good friend who is an electrician and will make sure I am safe and by the book.  But I plan to test Rosie to her limits.  Its what we do.  Mine will be named Stella. 

The anticipation is growing, but I can wait. This weekend will be filled with moving equipment and the first few tests.  Then long term testing begins. 

You are all welcome to follow the journey.  It is going to be electrifying. 
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Highflyer

Brian

Highflyer

Rosie has made it to the farm and I am getting every thing ready to be able to install her today if everything goes to plan.  Fingers crossed.
Brian

dapdan

I am excited for you dude. Pics will help calm your followers tho. I am also hoping to receive a beta Rosie. Got my Mail and.few days ago. Any word on the idle current draw.

Damani

dapdan

I am excited for you dude. Pics will help calm your followers tho. I am also hoping to receive a beta Rosie. Got my Mail and.few days ago. Any word on the idle current draw.

Damani

Highflyer

Okay, Rosie is on the wall and I'll take a picture in just a few.  I am trying to get everything done but with this weather, It is a real struggle.  But I do owe you guys a picture! STBY.

Picture added.Rosie on the wall.jpg

Brian

dapdan

Highflyer

Rosie (Stella) is alive and updated!

Now Barcelona, Hawk's Bay, Rosie and both MNGPs are updated and talking over the Canbus.

I really like the current updates as they are maturing very well. 

The system screen tells you about the total system and you know at a glance the status of the entire system. 

If you look at the MPPTs section, it combines the outputs from all charge controllers and you know what you are "making." 

Looking at Rosie's section tells you what you need to know about AC generation and Rosie's output in amps and watts.

I will let Rosie run for a few days and then test her a bit.  The Air Compressor is still waiting to give Rosie a run for her money!

All in all, Very nice updates and I really like Rosie, she has been worth the wait!

Brian

dapdan

HF,
I have a couple of questions. are you able to monitor rosie and the controller remotely through mymidnite or any other available software.

The second question is about the dongle on the DIY inverter. Are you able to monitor the activity and status of the DIY inverter remotely. I have a 3024 and have one on order hoping that I could monitor its activity from work.

Can you determine the real world ideal draw of the Rosie.

Thanks much
Damani

dapdan

HF,

I am not sure if you can answer this question...if one had a classic installed with a rosie and a mngp2 will the mngp2 also report on the activity of the classic.

Damani

dapdan

question for midnite,

Is the rosie  innards conformally coated and if not what is the expected peformance over time in an environment near to the sea not necessarily directly in a marine environment.

Damani

Highflyer

Quote from: dapdan on February 02, 2023, 12:57:47 PMHF,
I have a couple of questions. are you able to monitor rosie and the controller remotely through mymidnite or any other available software.

The second question is about the dongle on the DIY inverter. Are you able to monitor the activity and status of the DIY inverter remotely. I have a 3024 and have one on order hoping that I could monitor its activity from work.

Can you determine the real world ideal draw of the Rosie.

Thanks much
Damani

Damani,

Midnite is working on a new path for remote monitoring of the new devices.  I expect that testing to happen sooner than later.  I have my fingers crossed it will be very soon. 

As for the DIY and its dongle, Yes I can monitor the DIY from anywhere I have internet access.  I used my android tablet to setup the DIY using the free downloadable app.  It lets me see a good amount of information.  I found it way easier to use an android tablet than my Iphone.  The Iphone app was a real pain.

I believe the Classic and the new stuff are not yet talking to each other but I bet they will.  The engineers who are programming the new stuff are making very good progress. 

As for the idle draw, I would say it is low.  I have not put an amp meter to it, but using the system with the Rosie loads off, Rosie was only pulling around a tenth of an amp, so I would put that around 5 watts.  Plus or Minus, but that is just better than a WAG.  I would bet Midnite will have the real answer soon enough.

As for the coatings, I'll let the engineers answer that one as well.
Brian

Highflyer

"Well, I could not wait. 

I hooked up the 5HP Air Compressor up to Rosie.  With the tank at 135 PSI and the motor cold (5C in the barn), Rosie did start it up but after several seconds, Rosie tripped.  Three minutes later I had the tank bleed down to 130 PSI and we got the same results.  So after another three minutes, I bleed the tank to 120 PSI and she started it up and ran until the tank was topped off (around 30 seconds).  The conditions were not ideal, but she did it.  We used 50 feet of 10 gauge wire from Rosie to the compressor.  The MNGP said Rosie was making just under 6000 watts continuous, NO fans came on.  We will retest after Rosie is mounted by the main breaker box.  That is the biggest load I have in the barn, it is good to know she can do it!"

We will continue testing and updating as Midnite send out new software.  I am going to add several resistive heaters today and she how she does with them. 

Brian

dapdan

Many thanks HF. I am wondering how Rosie would cope with a stick welder. Did you setup any meters to test the in rush current while trying to start the compressor.

Damani

Highflyer

Damani,

I have a MIG welder which will be run using Rosie as soon as I can get things setup (*I do not have a spare 240 outlet here at the farm right now).  I suspect Rosie will run my welder very well.  For reference, I have a millermatic 180. 

Inrush was not taken with an amp meter (midnite has a video or two showing inrush earlier), but the MNGP showed a sustained 114 amps while running.  I missed the inrush if it showed up on the MNGP.  The voltage was very solid during the tests.  In short, I was impressed with Rosie's performance.
Brian