News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

MNGP2 scotch tape and mystery knob

Started by qrper, March 12, 2023, 04:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qrper

Unpacking some equipment, and I have a few questions about The MNGP2.
There were no instructions or data sheet. I could find none on line.

There appears to be a hunk of plastic that is scotch taped to the front panel. Does is come out of there? And if so, how?? Is it for shipping to protect the LCD?

What's the little protrusion for to the right of the speaker? It was wobbly loose (most likely from shipping) and I finger tighten it. It doesn't seem to move and it doesn't seem to be a push button.

What is it?IMG_0420.jpg

MikeIMG_0421.jpg
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

boB

Geee...   I'm not sure WHAT that tape is for ?

I haven't seen that even with the MNGP2s I am using.  I'm sure that someone in the know will post something about that.

There is an insulator inside the battery cover on the back though I know.

Yeah, there will probably be a manual for the MIG2  (MNGP2) eventually.

I think that the menu system may change a little ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

To the right of the speaker , the little "knob" is the bluetooth antenna .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on March 12, 2023, 05:50:27 PMTo the right of the speaker , the little "knob" is the bluetooth antenna .

Larry

Okay, that makes sense!

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

qrper

Quote from: boB on March 12, 2023, 04:33:32 PMGeee...   I'm not sure WHAT that tape is for ?

I haven't seen that even with the MNGP2s I am using.  I'm sure that someone in the know will post something about that.

There is an insulator inside the battery cover on the back though I know.

Yeah, there will probably be a manual for the MIG2  (MNGP2) eventually.

I think that the menu system may change a little ?

boB

I'd sure like to know, and know if I need to remove it and how.

Mike

FNG

Sorry about that QC issue, Please email Todd@midnitesolar.com and he will work with you on getting this resolved.

FNG

Sorry about that QC issue, Please email Todd@midnitesolar.com and he will work with you on getting this resolved.

qrper

Quote from: FNG on March 13, 2023, 06:07:34 AMSorry about that QC issue, Please email Todd@midnitesolar.com and he will work with you on getting this resolved.

I'll pop Todd a email this afternoon.

Yup, QC kinda missed that one.

qrper

Talked to Todd today, new MNGP2 should be shipped this week and I've got a return label coming for the fubar unit.

Mike

dapdan

So the mngp2 has bt. Is it functional and if not when and would it need an onboard battery to be truely mobile.

Damani

dapdan

I now know that the bt is not for mobility. I attempted an update and it told me I have the latest fw when I don't. Trying to resolve this now.

ClassicCrazy

How do you know you don't have the newest firmware ?
There are two different android update apps for the mngp2 .
One just does production firmware releases.
The other app does beta firmware releases.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

Quote from: dapdan on July 03, 2023, 06:07:22 AMI now know that the bt is not for mobility. I attempted an update and it told me I have the latest fw when I don't. Trying to resolve this now.

There are two uploaders you can get from MNS. There is the 'standard' uploader that will pull from the midnite server the current production firmware. Then there is the 'beta' uploader that will pull the beta firmware from the servers.

I noticed the other day that Midnite has uploaded a standard uploader for the Apple iOS (iPhone or iPad). I suspect a Apple version for the beta upload will be coming soon.

I didn't get the memo to attend the engineering meeting, so I'm guessing here. The MNGP2 has bluetooth for uploading firmware to the inverters and charge controllers. There is no connectivity to other software. Since the MNGP2 is connected to Rosie and the others via CAN buss (?) I suspect someone (third party perhaps) to make an fancy interface to monitor things over the 'net.

Mike

dapdan

Q,

I am fine with it as is and if it aint broke don't fix it, but the attraction to the latest and greatest is hard to resist. So the update that is June 16 is the beta and not the production one then. I tried to update using both andriod and ios with the same app response telling me that I have the latest (which was being identified as the one in march or so)

Damani

dapdan

Got the lastest firmware to update a couple of days ago.

On another note, can the screen turn off or time out. i tried to get it done in the settings, to turn off or timeout after 10/5mins and it still stays on bright. I would like it not to attract flies at night.