News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Hawke's Bay testing in Texas

Started by Highflyer, August 21, 2021, 06:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qrper

Quote from: boB on April 08, 2023, 02:21:37 AMMy biggest issue when installing someone else's Python code is that usually there are all these

libraries that needed installing to make that one simple program work. It is not fun.

I can copy and paste functions pretty much though.  Assembly language is easier for me than fooling around with all this.

Same thing with C++ programs and some times plain old C programs.

There are so many dependencies that I usually give up.  OLD windows Visual studio 6 were easier when I had Microsoft's complete example libraries.

So, I usually prefer to write my own software from scratch where I am much more successful.

You are not alone.

boB

Wayback, wayback, I got involved with Microsoft's Visual Basic.  Using VB6, I managed to put together a rather slick program that would compute the number of solar panels, batteries, and so on for a given number of days. There was an internal database that held solar panel data (wasn't that many back then) and the solar data from the NREL database.

It worked pretty good. Looked nice, thanks to all those fancy (at the time) buttons and expanded menus from VB6.

Of course is had more bugs in it than a 2 week old corpse, but it did work.

I called it SunCad.

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

Highflyer

Okay time for a bigger update:

Midnite just replaced my original Beta units of HB and Barcelona.  Both are on the wall and making power. 

Some cool things:

1. Stella, my Rosie, remained in the system as she is fresh. HB and BAR both saw her and excepted the system settings From her.  After a quick checking of the settings and everything was good to go.  No setup needed.  Just plug and play!

2. Midnite sent me a 125 amp breaker for HB.  I plan to add another panel to the test array and see how close to the limit I can get.  Now that it is becoming summer, the voltage should not climb due to the cold, so the extra panel should not be an issue.  With this extra panel, I should be able to make 5000 watts or maybe just a little more during peak times of the day on HB and think about it, BAR should be able to handle nearly 10,000 watts at the same time.  (How many micro controllers would one need to handle that much energy?)

2a. The heat signature still looks great.  Air flow and heat management looks done.  I did finally hear the fan on high when making close to 5,000 watts.

3. All the hardware just seems to fit together just a bit better.  It is noticeable to me.  I like it.

All in all, I can't explain the joy I get working with stuff like this.  The maturity of the technology is obvious.  The fact that we can now run a 5HP air compressor off a single 7000 watt inverter and charge over 5,000/10,000 respectively. Using solar, I'll be able to charge my EV, run the cabin, and shop with just a little energy management.  Just a few years ago, that would have taken a lot more equipment. 

Midnite is crushing it.    And the B-17 is still to come! 
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Highflyer

Well, I am now a member of the +500 volt +5000 watts club.  We just finally added the 12th panel to the system.  No issues.  I am draining the batteries a bit to see the maximum output of HB with the 12th panel added.  It may take a few days as it is a bit cloudy right now.  But I am hoping for 5500 or more!
Brian

Highflyer

Well it is hot and humid here in Texas and HB, Barcelona, and Rosie are running well.  I almost never hear the fans even with this heat.

Well done.
Brian

Highflyer

Well here is a new one.  My HB which has Arc fault and Ground fault installed, found an issue and warned me.  It seems a rodent found my cabling right at ground level as it went to my breaker box and conduit to the barn.  After a simple repair, I was back in business.
Brian

boB

Quote from: Highflyer on February 25, 2024, 03:41:15 PMWell here is a new one.  My HB which has Arc fault and Ground fault installed, found an issue and warned me.  It seems a rodent found my cabling right at ground level as it went to my breaker box and conduit to the barn.  After a simple repair, I was back in business.

Leave the poor animal a bowl of copper wire and lots of insulation to eat  ;)
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me