News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Rosie Testing in Texas!

Started by Highflyer, January 26, 2023, 11:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highflyer

Well Yesterday I aded a 40 foot lead with a 240V outlet to Rosie's E-panel.  I used it to run my welder out in the yard.  I had no issues and Rosie handled it with ease.  I was pulling just under 3000 watts just from the welder.  All other loads were on normally.   Each weld burned between five and 10 seconds.   I did add an extra light or two and a fan to the mix. Still no issues.

Also, I have a neighbor with an EV, I have asked if they want to come over and charge for a while to hold Rosie around 6500 watts charging.  The rest will be my normal loads.  More to follow.

Finally, as it warms up here in Texas, It will be interesting to see if I get the fans going.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

qrper

Quote from: Highflyer on May 25, 2023, 10:19:56 AMWell Yesterday I aded a 40 foot lead with a 240V outlet to Rosie's E-panel.  I used it to run my welder out in the yard.  I had no issues and Rosie handled it with ease.  I was pulling just under 3000 watts just from the welder.  All other loads were on normally.   Each weld burned between five and 10 seconds.   I did add an extra light or two and a fan to the mix. Still no issues.

Also, I have a neighbor with an EV, I have asked if they want to come over and charge for a while to hold Rosie around 6500 watts charging.  The rest will be my normal loads.  More to follow.

Finally, as it warms up here in Texas, It will be interesting to see if I get the fans going.

I, too, was wondering if the fans worked. It required my microwave to run for about ten minutes before the Rosie's fans kicked into slow speed. I wonder if how the fans will react to the summer temps since the inverter is living in the garage. While not Texas, Ohio in the summer can get quite toasty.

mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

boB

Quote from: Highflyer on April 01, 2023, 02:26:48 PMAlso, I think I remember you or Robin saying Rosie might get upgraded to something more than 7000 watts.  Is that still in the cards? 

Eventually.  Slight changes to hardware and software would do it.

Normally, people don't run these things at full power very often.

Also, we have to finish all the other features first.  Then we can think about more power.

BTW, Speaking of features, you can now stack Rosies !

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

All good, but here at the cabin WHEN I finally get an EV, I will charge it from Rosie.  Now I just need that neighbor to stop by for some free testing!
Brian

Highflyer

Well we had 120 MPH winds during a storm a week or so ago.  Rosie was a life saving device.  It took several days to restore gird power to our area, but I had Rosie.  Oh and the solar panels on my tracker did great a well. It was over built for a reason. 

Score another for Rosie.
Brian

Highflyer

Well today it was over 100 degrees F in the barn.  We loaded Rosie up with around 2400W of load for over four hours (I did not have anything else to add to the load).  I did hear the fans on low at times, but the temps where almost the same.  Rosie seems right at home in the heat.  later this summer, I'll add a few more loads and see what I get.
Brian

boB

Fantastic, Brian !

Especially where your power was out !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

Well I updated to the latest Beta for Rosie.  I am Burning a few more kWh just to see the data which is now being collected and shared.

A request would be to have all of my data logs be available on one page just like the status page. 
It might look like :

HB            kWh produced today, and total. Converted to mWh as needed.
Barcelona    kWh produced Today, and total. Converted to mWh as needed.
Rosie        kWh produced today, and total. Converted to mWh as needed.

This way I could see on one screen the total production from each charge controller and inverter in the system. 

I could then foresee a contest to see who is generating more RE using these devices. 

I must say, I love to see the data.
Brian

Highflyer

Late last week, I needed to work on what I call Tilapitopia. It is our Tilapia aquaponics system in our barn.  We over winter Tilapia and brood more each summer for the following year. 

To clean out the tanks, I use a pressure washer and vacuum.  I also use pumps, lights and fans.  All of this was powered by Rosie.  Turning on a two HP vacuum while an electric pressure washer is running was no issue for Rosie.  In fact, there were several times when both the vacuum and pressure washer started up at the same time.  Everything ran just fine.  While I don't think I hit any limits, it was reassuring to see Rosie handle the surges flawlessly.  More testing to follow. 
Brian

Highflyer

Well it has been just under one year and all is well.  Rosie has been doing all kinds of work and has produced  just over 3mWh in 11 months.  The new location is ready and I am hopeful I can move Rosie and Barcelona to the wall by the door and make them permeant.  When that happens, I should be able to run the entire barn including the air compressor.  I know I have been working for a while on the location move, but there have been a few family events which took priority.  Needless to say, family before fun.  One other note, I have loaded every Beta software version so far. I have never had Rosie fail after a successful upload.  I have had one or two issues uploading, but they have always been correctable.  Rosie is a beast so far!  I wish I had two!  Rosie just runs and runs.
Brian

Highflyer

We had good sun Yesterday and I decided to run Rosie a bit harder.  In the end, during the sunny part of the day we made 35.3kWh of 120/240.  I used it for all kinds of things.  I ran several heaters in Tilopitopia, and one in the barn.  I ran pumps, and lights.  In all, Rosie really did not care.  Today I ran one leg to 3700 watts and the other was only pulling 250 watts.  I did get the overload light and warning, but everything ran for over ten minutes before I reduced the load back to just within limits.  I then ran Rosie at that level for the rest of the sunny part of the day.  In all, the only other test I can run is charging an EV.  To date, I have not yet been willing to pull the trigger.  Some are tempting, and others seem to spoil the mood.  I really need a new truck, but none of the offerings have made me scratch that itch.  I guess it is time to go for a few test drives. 
Brian

Weldman

Read over where Barcelona testing in Montana is at you will see a blood bath happening with Rosie and Barcelona. They can take the heat, and take a load, but can't take the cold.

Highflyer

I'll take a look, mine are in an unconditioned barn in east Texas where it is getting rather cold, but not Montana cold!  So far, I have had no issues with the cold here through two winters, but again, not Montana winters here.
Brian