News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Barcelona BETA Testing in Montana

Started by Weldman, March 19, 2023, 10:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weldman

Here we go again.... This time Rosie did a low voltage battery disconnect, went downstairs it's -40°F flipped light switch on and the unit shut down with red light reading LBCO Disconnect, put meter on it 45.8VDC. Well it's time for sink or swim on the new Rosie unit. Flipped every breaker off, (main battery switch on the E panel crumbled in my hand) shut the whole unit down and put the new unit on. Had to bypass the main breaker on the E-panel since I can't flip the switch back on anymore so either I can have the option of buying a new breaker or could y'all send me another?
Anywho soon as I flipped main breaker on Rosie came to life without hesitation.
Reset the AAC for my generator size and cranked that up along with other settings, things are on their way back up charging.
 I hope y'all get the MNGP2 bug worked out, my battery is suffering greatly on being able to stay in either Bulk or Absorb mode.

boB

What is your LBCO adjusted to  ?

You can turn that down to around 40V I think.

46V is fairly low.    So it won't stay in Absorb to get fully charged ?
Is the system current limited now as far as charging ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Weldman

Quote from: boB on February 27, 2024, 11:03:20 AMWhat is your LBCO adjusted to  ?

You can turn that down to around 40V I think.

46V is fairly low.    So it won't stay in Absorb to get fully charged ?
Is the system current limited now as far as charging ?

boB

I turned it down to I think 36VDC to try and get the unit to go back on, it was set at 44VDC and still didn't come back on. Reason it got down to 45.8VDC is cause of cloudy days which got it up to 48.9VDC before going to bed, then cold temperatures compiled onto the normal draw brought it down.
No it won't stay in Absorb (all the time), goes up to peak of amperage and drops back down as someone turned it off and falls back into Bulk, goes up to peak in Bulk and then drops back down to go into Absorb. Only two reasons it ever gets into Absorb and stays, and that's if there has been a full sunny day or I didn't drain that much the night before.
Been doing this past month or more as I brought it up before and Whiz finally was able to replicate it as a bug in the system.
Let this cold snap disappear and I will video it and my settings.

Though on a different note, when I put this new Rosie online, I now can get solar and charge the battery at same time with generator which is a big plus nice feature. Before if I turned the generator on to charge the solar would zero out till done.

boB

Yeah, some large-ish load probably brought the battery voltage down below your 45V LBCO  long enough for it to trip off.   It has to stay below the LBCO for a minute or so for that to happen.

So, I have to assume you are using lead acid batteries.

Keep them charged so they don't freeze too.   At how low of battery voltage do you turn on the generator ?   The newer Rosie should already have decent AGS code in it with the newer MNGP2 code (if it is released yet ?)

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Weldman

Quote from: boB on February 27, 2024, 12:30:12 PMYeah, some large-ish load probably brought the battery voltage down below your 45V LBCO  long enough for it to trip off.   It has to stay below the LBCO for a minute or so for that to happen.

Keep them charged so they don't freeze too.   At how low of battery voltage do you turn on the generator ?   The newer Rosie should already have decent AGS code in it with the newer MNGP2 code (if it is released yet ?)

boB

I've got a lot of new things coming online as I build our home here and it's a touch and go as temperatures play a factor too in how fast things draw down on this lead acid battery. We've been turning StarLink off before bed cause it has it's own mind of when to turn the heating element on and off on the dish to melt snow. Didn't expect it to drop this low last night on voltage or the temperature, I also have things like heat tape to prevent water lines freezing so it's on a thermostat of when to come on or off. So many variables between thermostats and new items to draw on the system. Who knew a gas stove draws electric, 6 amps at that when the oven turns on.
There is few variables as whether to turn generator on, I keep it above 48.4VDC before hitting the generator.

Anyways I can buy or get sent to me a new battery switch for the E-panel on the Rosie, it practically crumbled flipping it off.

I don't have a AGS generator set up yet, I still need to drag that unit out of storage and plumb in propane.

FNG

Quote from: Weldman on February 27, 2024, 12:59:46 PM
Quote from: boB on February 27, 2024, 12:30:12 PMYeah, some large-ish load probably brought the battery voltage down below your 45V LBCO  long enough for it to trip off.   It has to stay below the LBCO for a minute or so for that to happen.

boB

I've got a lot of new things coming online as I build our home here and it's a touch and go as temperatures play a factor too in how fast things draw down on this lead acid battery. We've been turning StarLink off before bed cause it has it's own mind of when to turn the heating element on and off on the dish to melt snow. Didn't expect it to drop this low last night on voltage or the temperature, I also have things like heat tape to prevent water lines freezing so it's on a thermostat of when to come on or off. So many variables between thermostats and new items to draw on the system. Who knew a gas stove draws electric, 6 amps at that when the oven turns on.
There is few variables as whether to turn generator on, I keep it above 48.4VDC before hitting the generator.

Anyways I can buy or get sent to me a new battery switch for the E-panel on the Rosie, it practically crumbled flipping it off.

I don't have a AGS generator set up yet, I still need to drag that unit out of storage and plumb in propane.
Can you email me a picture of the breaker, I will get an RMA going for you. ryan@midnitesolar.com

Weldman

Got around to putting the other string online to MPPT 2 and now it only reads one, depends on which one gets turned on first, yet says resting on one and whatever charging stage on the other. Both are on under the menu, did I miss something? Other Rosie is headed back this evening.

boB

Quote from: Weldman on March 04, 2024, 06:07:41 PMGot around to putting the other string online to MPPT 2 and now it only reads one, depends on which one gets turned on first, yet says resting on one and whatever charging stage on the other. Both are on under the menu, did I miss something? Other Rosie is headed back this evening.

Hi Weldman.

This is because it is in Absorb and constant voltage.  The other side does not need to come on unless it is in Bulk MPPT  or  if the load is large enough for both halves to be working.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Weldman

Quote from: boB on March 04, 2024, 06:16:38 PM
Quote from: Weldman on March 04, 2024, 06:07:41 PMGot around to putting the other string online to MPPT 2 and now it only reads one, depends on which one gets turned on first, yet says resting on one and whatever charging stage on the other. Both are on under the menu, did I miss something? Other Rosie is headed back this evening.

Hi Weldman.

This is because it is in Absorb and constant voltage.  The other side does not need to come on unless it is in Bulk MPPT  or  if the load is large enough for both halves to be working.

boB

Making sure I didn't miss anything.

Wizbandit

The Barcelona does not have 2 data registers to hold separate CHARGE STAGES for MPPT-1 and MPPT-2, I suggested it would be nice to see the status of both stages.  The MNGP2 programmer is getting his code ready, we still need to add the 2nd stage register but I'm not sure when that will be implemented. MPPT-2 is not RESTING as you can see it is providing power, MPPT-1 is actually RESTING. Future enhancement.

Weldman

So that's why I have been fighting the last Rosie all this time, internal temperatures below 30°F and the bug wouldn't let it turn back on. Thought I was losing my mind there for a minute each time I did a update and it refused to come on.

Updated both this morning and Rosie came back online within 10 minutes at 18°F

onanparts

Quote from: Weldman on March 05, 2024, 11:00:48 AMSo that's why I have been fighting the last Rosie all this time, internal temperatures below 30°F and the bug wouldn't let it turn back on. Thought I was losing my mind there for a minute each time I did a update and it refused to come on.

What FW did you update to on Rosie? The latest test FW, 24.29.2 was working down to I understand -35C in Midnites environmental chamber, and Rosie boots up within a few seconds. I tried it a few days ago. At 43F Rosie is up and running within 2-4 seconds. Prior to the 24.29.2 FW Rosie would take several minutes to wake up at even 49F.

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

Weldman

Quote from: onanparts on March 05, 2024, 02:21:18 PM
Quote from: Weldman on March 05, 2024, 11:00:48 AMSo that's why I have been fighting the last Rosie all this time, internal temperatures below 30°F and the bug wouldn't let it turn back on. Thought I was losing my mind there for a minute each time I did a update and it refused to come on.

What FW did you update to on Rosie? The latest test FW, 24.29.2 was working down to I understand -35C in Midnites environmental chamber, and Rosie boots up within a few seconds. I tried it a few days ago. At 43F Rosie is up and running within 2-4 seconds. Prior to the 24.29.2 FW Rosie would take several minutes to wake up at even 49F.

I updated with the newest one released yesterday. If one wants I can send it back to factory settings and redo the update this time showing in real time the time it took.

Weldman

It's about 1900 hrs on this day, clear sky with just twilight and Barcelona is getting in 300W. I actually might get solar from the moon now  :o