Schneider's New Conext SW inverters

Started by dapdan, June 24, 2013, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

Hey Midnite,

Are guys going to consider creating an E-panel for Schneider new inverter the Conext  SW line. They seem a good inverter at a reasonable price. I think they will do well and one of you e-panels would sure make it a more favourable offering in terms of overall pricing. I am personally going to purchase one for testing before I offer it to my clients, although I would personally much prefer a Midnite solar inverter. In my opinion Midnite can't go wrong with offering similar specs on theire inverter. I love this new box from Schneider is offering and the price seems to be the icing on the cake.

Here is the link:

http://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_File_Id=84697080&p_File_Name=Conext-SW-Sell-Sheet.pdf

Cheers...
Damani

Halfcrazy

Damani
Funny you post this. I just had lunch with the crew from Schneider and yes we are going to build a box (E-Panel) for the SW inverter. Sandra took the covers off the SW and I am very impressed. I think these guys have hit a home run, I bet it has the crew at Magnum sweating pretty bad.

Here is a question for everyone though.

Would you prefer to have a lower cost box with no AC bypass in it and have the bypass as an option if you want it? I guess what I am really asking is would a considerably less expensive E-Panel that is sort of a Kit if you will be favorable? We would include the Battery cables and AC wires etc as well as needed buss bars and breakers just not the bypass etc and you could assemble it?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dapdan

Ryan,

I would put my hand up for a lower cost box with the bypass as an option. I have installed several inverters that don't use the by pass breakers(sometimes I take them out for me to use myself as regular breakers). I most of my clients don't even use the charger function of these types of inverters. So I would go one step further and request that some of these nice inverters have the option where the charge function is ommited and a cheaper inverter offered.

As to sweating. Outback, Apollo and samlex should sweat profusely. I just got a quote of $1300 for the 4024SW model. I really like the fact that it is switchable 50/60Hz. I only wish that their customer service would improve. However who need customer service if you gear doesn't break down( a la xw series). I am yet to know of anyone personally that has issues with their xw inverters. So if this sw is anything like the xw at half the price they definitely have a winner in my book.

Cheers...
Damani

cpm

Quote from: dapdan on June 24, 2013, 02:44:38 PM
Ryan,

I would put my hand up for a lower cost box with the bypass as an option. I have installed several inverters that don't use the by pass breakers(sometimes I take them out for me to use myself as regular breakers). I most of my clients don't even use the charger function of these types of inverters. So I would go one step further and request that some of these nice inverters have the option where the charge function is ommited and a cheaper inverter offered.

As to sweating. Outback, Apollo and samlex should sweat profusely. I just got a quote of $1300 for the 4024SW model. I really like the fact that it is switchable 50/60Hz. I only wish that their customer service would improve. However who need customer service if you gear doesn't break down( a la xw series). I am yet to know of anyone personally that has issues with their xw inverters. So if this sw is anything like the xw at half the price they definitely have a winner in my book.

Cheers...
Damani

Wow,that's impressive!
where are they made?

From the installation manual, do I have this right? These units do full single/split phase 120/240, right out of the box? Not xformer, no stacking?

Halfcrazy

I would say Schneider's support is getting better now that Schneider and Square D are in the mix in my opinion.

As far as where they are made Schneider has there own facility in China so they are able to control quality. And most of the major players except Magnum are made in India or China.

The inverter is a true split phase 120/240 vac. It will also charge batteries from a 120vac only generator and the SW will make the other leg of the 120 so the inverter still puts out 120/240vac. The SW has full blown generator support as well to allow fr running large loads.

Ryan

cpm

Wow,

my OB gt3524 is still NiB, wonder if I should sell it and order one of these.
The OB is pre-india (I think) the box is a couple of years old now.

I know these OB units are tough as nails, , , I wonder how this new unit will
handle mobile/portable use.

Halfcrazy

From my tour through the guts of it (Sandra removed the covers and let us look it over) I would say it is very capable of mobile use. It is built like a Tank

Vic

Hi Ryan,

Am glad to hear that the Schneider Customer Support function has improved,  although from my limited experience with them,  there is only way that it could have gone is up.

As I read the spec sheet,  looks like it still would need the SCP,  for another US$ 210 to 250.  If that is the case,  seems kind of steep for a lower priced Inverter.  And the 38-40 watt inverting idle seems high.

And wonder if the Firmware Implanter tool will be required for FW updates ...

EDIT:  This Schneider Video adds a bit of detail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys_L1-TsOyk

Up to two units are stackable,  Guess that the SCP is required for configuration/settings as I heard it.  FWIW
End EDIT

But if it is a sub $1500 unit,  seems to have some good specs.  Opinions,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

mtdoc

Quote from: Halfcrazy on June 24, 2013, 07:48:35 PM
As far as where they are made Schneider has there own facility in China so they are able to control quality. And most of the major players except Magnum are made in India or China.

According to Outback, their G inverters are still made in WA state.  Though if the WA state sales tax exemption goes away maybe that will change?

The new Context SWs look nice. I would worry about that high idle draw if off grid though...

Speaking of idle draw - anyone know what the idle (resting) draw is on the Classics currently? 
    Someone asked this in another thread but never got an answer. Hmm. Maybe I need to measure mine  (I should update to the   latest FW first though. :o_)
Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.

Robin

We have Sandra's SW at MidNite. Our own unit won't arrive until this next week. We are trying to get an E-Panel done for the Intersolar show in San Francisco on July 7th. That gives us 4 days to get the sheet metal built and painted. Not much time! We already know the powder coat won't match very well. We will need to have a custom color made, but no time for the show. The SW is made in India as I recall. I heard it was designed by the same guy who did the XW, so I think it will work just fine. We will be deciding how to offer the E-Panel between now and the show, but it will most likely be a kit to save cost. Schneider has their own AC and DC box, but they asked us to also make an E-Panel. We have some features that their boxes do not have such as a shunt. We will also have the Whizbang Jr before too long for monitoring what that shunt is doing.
I don't know where the idle is at on the Classic, but we keep on making circuit changes to make it better. Bob hasn't had time to fully implement all the power reductions yet though. Soon I hope.
This Intersolar show in San Francisco is going to be fun. We get to show a good prototype of the Kid and a new controller called the Brat. Morningstar probably won't be very happy with us. These are both high volume controllers. They will be built in Arlington, WA of course.
Robin Gudgel

dapdan

Robin,

I would be interested in the e panel for the SW for sure. I am also looking forward for the kid and the brat. I am sure I can find some space for a few of them in my current family of 3 classic. Maybe an inverter in the near future as well.

Cheers...
Damani

ChrisOlson

Quote from: Halfcrazy on June 24, 2013, 09:02:21 AM
Would you prefer to have a lower cost box with no AC bypass in it and have the bypass as an option if you want it?

I saw one of those SW's at the dealer that was being prepped for an install, and the Schneider conduit box was there on the bench with it.  The Schneider box has a AC bypass built into it.  IMHO installing an inverter off-grid without a way to bypass it could be a disaster.  But I think more people would opt for a decent independent two-pole transfer switch for an inverter bypass vs a couple interlocked breakers that still leave the AC parts of the box powered up in the event an off-grid inverter needs to be serviced.

Putting an AC bypass integral into an inverter's conduit box allows you a simple way to keep the power on if it fails.  But it's still not serviceable without shutting all the power off anyway, because the inverter is still connected to a live box.  So I question the value of even having an AC bypass in a conduit box or E Panel.

That SW looked like a real nice unit.  And I guess it uses all the same peripheral stuff (AGS, etc) as its big brother.
--
Chris

dapdan

Hey midnite,

I have my new context sw and boy it got some weight. When can I get my hands on an e-panel for it.

Cheers...
Damani

Halfcrazy

There are somewhere around 5-6 beta E-Panels in house if anyone is interested I could get pictures. The new version is at the sheet metal shop and as soon as we get it we will send it out to be listed. Stay tuned it should not be long. Now to make the Classic speak Xanbus  :o

dapdan

Ryan,

I am interested in the e-panel. I don't need etl listing as some may in the US...if you get my drift. It would be nice have on to install on the wall. Anyways, I would like to see the pics at the very least. The Conext is a very good looking inverter with nice clean lines and compact. New things are very exciting.

Cheers...
Damani