News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Status of Clipper

Started by David, December 07, 2010, 04:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

What is the status of the Clipper?  Is it available now?  Do we know an expected list price? Any of the current classic controllers will work with the clipper? 

tallgirl

Bump.

I've had a couple of on-grid customers with the typical "Too much PV, not enough battery" problem who also have AGM batteries that are being kept floating All Day Long that periodically see excursions over 60 volts.  A Clipper seems like the ideal solution to keep various Other People's Charge Controllers from Doing Bad Things.

boB

The Clipper is still high on the priority list but it will have to wait a bit more.   For wind, there are some temporary options that include diversion on the AC side of the turbine's bridge rectifier.  Another option is to have a turbine that just doesn't spin fast enough to create dangerous voltages.  (XL.1 48 for instance)
Or, a turbine with their own clipper such as the Kestrel 110e.   (I think that's the model)...

As for PV and full batteries, diversion works well also.  I have thought about using a clipper for PV too, like in very cold and high Voc weather, but if it is needed for that, then the Vmpp may be way higher than 75 or 80% of Voc and you wouldn't get the full array output.  i.e., it would be better in that case to connect the modules for a bit lower Voc.   (Sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense.)

Hey, I get to use one of these nice smileys !!   ;D

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

tallgirl

This doesn't just happen on cold-panel days, it's also a problem with grid-tie systems that use AGMs.  The charge controllers can throw down so much current on some of the larger systems that the inverters can't respond fast enough to consume it all.  The AGMs are much more sensitive to being overcharged and the voltage goes sky-high with the least provocation.

We aren't into March or April yet, which are our huge production months.  I peak in early April, the system I've been debugging my AC and thermal sensor work on will peak in mid-March.

As for cold, I made 3,550 watts out of a 2,800 watt array a couple days ago.  I had snow and ice on my array for a while today, but made it to 3,367 watts.  In the summer, things go the other way.  I can go for days and days on end without making it to 2,500 watts.  It gets hot here.  I just wish "hot" would hurry up!

boB

Quote from: tallgirl on February 04, 2011, 10:45:58 PM
I just wish "hot" would hurry up!
Me Too !!!

So, on these systems with the AGMs, how large are the battery banks in comparison to the array size ??   A lot of times, tied-up-on-gridders will use large arrays but small (ish)  battery banks.  This can also be a problem with ripple current (120 Hz) on the DC side some times.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

tallgirl

The arrays are entirely too large relative to battery capacity.

I've seen a lot of grid-tied systems where the maximum charging rate is less than C/2 -- typically as small a battery bank as possible.  Perhaps one string of L16 or 8D.  I worked on a system last summer where they had 12KW DC on the roof and 675Ah for the batteries.

coke

Hey,

do you have some news for us regarding the status of the clipper?

Halfcrazy

The Circuit boards are in and getting stuffed. Doug has the sheet metal on order i will follow up with him today on that. Should not be long now.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Watt

Quote from: Halfcrazy on July 01, 2011, 05:49:33 AM
The Circuit boards are in and getting stuffed. Doug has the sheet metal on order i will follow up with him today on that. Should not be long now.

Ok, you've had a month!  J/K, anymore to update us with? 

Halfcrazy

Quote from: Watt on August 02, 2011, 10:51:28 PM
Quote from: Halfcrazy on July 01, 2011, 05:49:33 AM

Ok, you've had a month!  J/K, anymore to update us with? 

I will find out today what the status is.

mike90045

Quote from: tallgirl on February 04, 2011, 10:45:58 PM
.....It gets hot here.  I just wish "hot" would hurry up!

How about now ?   ;D
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Watt

Just curious how long your days are!  ;D  Any updates?

Halfcrazy

Sorry about not getting back here. Everything but the sheet metal is in house our sheet metal shop got behind by about 4-6 weeks. I am told by the shop they will actually punch the metal for these the end of this week or first of next. Then it goes to powder coat for a couple days so with any luck by the end of next week we should have sheet metal back in house and start assembly of the first batch of 12. as soon as we start building those 12 we will order another round of parts to build 100.

I will try to get a few pictures of the Circuit boards being built and add one or two here.

windpro

Thanks for the update.   For our project that will use 4 Clippers has been on hold awaiting the arrival.  Another 10 or so we have used alternative products/designs instead of using Clippers.   We would enjoy seeing pictures and also a final picture showing the location for conduit connection locations.  There has been some confusion between the old per production layout within the box and what production layout will be.

Sounds like your metal fabricator either needs to expand (resources and equipment) or time to seek another great American source that can be used as backup to fill your needs.   Or you may wish to place the 100 order now (awaiting final design/testing approval to be completed) to get it into the que at your metal fabricator moving up the schedule 4-6 weeks.  Its been 15 years since being in the sheet metal design business but there is creative scheduling solutions that can take place.

It would make many of us installers very happy to see these soon!

Halfcrazy

Well we usually work our lead times pretty good with our supplier but we have overwhelmed his shop with all our different stuff and when we do something new we can not factor in the lead time like we normally do.

I have a drawing of the Clipper sheet metal that gives KO locations etc here is a link to it http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31975941/3-100-1%20clipper%20chassis%20new%20REV%20P2.pdf