FIRMWARE UPDATE PROBLEMS!

Started by Halfcrazy, August 26, 2015, 08:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resthome

Quote from: cpttom on January 31, 2016, 08:42:11 PM
Hi Westbranch,

Nope, I can't see the Classic with the Local App.  :( 

After the update it there is a message that I think says "Update 100% Complete" or words to that effect.  I even tried updating again.  Still a blank screen.

Quote from: Westbranch on January 31, 2016, 08:24:47 PM
Did you try looking at the Classic with the Local App to see if you can get anything out?

I haven't used W10 yet for upgrade, do you still get the "finished' message in a command box after each upgrade is 100%?

Any LEDs on??  I'd also log a trouble ticket with Midnite to get to the bottom of this since the W10 firmware loader is new.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

cpttom

I saw your other reply as well.  I didn't even think about waiting 2 mins after the complete message.  I am going to try the update again and see what happens after waiting for 2 mins.

Also, their weren't any LEDs except the power light on the MNGP once the Classic powered back on....I will post back once I do the reinstall again.

Quote from: Resthome on January 31, 2016, 08:50:28 PM
Quote from: cpttom on January 31, 2016, 08:42:11 PM
Hi Westbranch,

Nope, I can't see the Classic with the Local App.  :( 

After the update it there is a message that I think says "Update 100% Complete" or words to that effect.  I even tried updating again.  Still a blank screen.

Quote from: Westbranch on January 31, 2016, 08:24:47 PM
Did you try looking at the Classic with the Local App to see if you can get anything out?

I haven't used W10 yet for upgrade, do you still get the "finished' message in a command box after each upgrade is 100%?

Any LEDs on??  I'd also log a trouble ticket with Midnite to get to the bottom of this since the W10 firmware loader is new.
System: 1344 Watt PV Array (2x3 Sharp 224 Watt ND224UC9BX panels) | Midnite Classic 150 w/WBjr| Schneider Electric Conext SW 2524 Inverter, with SCP and Combox| 2x4 6v 235AH Duracell EGC2 Batteries @ 24V, 470 AH|  7 KW propane generator

Resthome

Yeah, the DOS command window will actually close after the 2 minutes  with the previous updater.  So if you are seeing a DOS command window wait and see if it closes.  I'm not convinced that is the problem but worth a try.

I'm also assuming the short blue cable is still connected between the Classic and the front cover.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

cpttom

There is no DOS Command window in this version.  Just the selection window and install window. I tried reinstalling. No luck. I have opened a trouble ticket.  Let's see what happens.

Quote from: Resthome on January 31, 2016, 09:28:41 PM
Yeah, the DOS command window will actually close after the 2 minutes  with the previous updater.  So if you are seeing a DOS command window wait and see if it closes.  I'm not convinced that is the problem but worth a try.

I'm also assuming the short blue cable is still connected between the Classic and the front cover.
System: 1344 Watt PV Array (2x3 Sharp 224 Watt ND224UC9BX panels) | Midnite Classic 150 w/WBjr| Schneider Electric Conext SW 2524 Inverter, with SCP and Combox| 2x4 6v 235AH Duracell EGC2 Batteries @ 24V, 470 AH|  7 KW propane generator

Halfcrazy

Quote from: CharliVN on January 31, 2016, 07:53:01 AM
My classic 200 is dead this morning.  I download the firmware 2079 upgrade for win10 yesterday, I figured better do the upgrade before sunrise today, go to the garage at 530am, 46 deg F, plug in USB thing go ok after 3-4 times tried, power up with left/right arrow press dwn, system booth up, check the new 2079 is in.  The COM was 3

The next thing tried to upgrade the mngp, 5 times when it get around 60ish% completed, it hard reboot my laptop, I gave up, my hand is cold, I wait when the sun is up and try it one more time.

All I got at this time the red led, I can not even log in local software because I did not configuration the ip yet.  Help, help, help

It sounds like you did a factory restore on the classic BEFORE you actually updated the MNGP. This may cause some issues as there are registers that are not present in one piece of the two. What I would suggest is trying the hardware factory restore then try updating the MNGP again. (Directions are on the software page) if that doesn't work email support and they will get you fixed up support@midnitesolar.com
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Halfcrazy

Quote from: Westbranch on January 31, 2016, 12:18:52 PM
For previous updates it is Com 8 not 3.  Did this change for the W 10 updater?
Yes in Windows 10 you do not need to worry about the com port it auto detects

Halfcrazy

Quote from: cpttom on January 31, 2016, 08:07:00 PM
Howdy,

So It's been 3 years since I last updated the Firmware on my Classic 150.  3 years ago I had a heck of a time updating and since what I had wasn't broke I haven' wanted to touch the Firmware again. Well, now there is the mymidnite.com update that needs the latest Firmware and I bought a Wiz-bang, so I have to update the Classic. Should of been fun...ah no. 

I used Windows 10 and  Rev 2079 For windows 10 Firmware update.  Everything went smoothly for the Classic firmware update, did the Factory Reset, answered all the questions.  Then I upgraded the MNGP remote.  Firmware loaded 100 percent only the MNGP was now Blank!  Tried to do a factory reset. Nope. nothing. 

So right at this moment I am dead in the water.  Anyone got ideas? Thanks!  --CPT Tom

Tom
I would try it a few times and if still no success email us at support@midnitesolar.com and the support crew will get you fixed up

CharliVN

Ryan,

Thank you for the reply, very strange happen to me, I use I5 Asus laptop to upgrade the Classic 200 from 20xx to 2079 version, the classic go ok after couple tried, but when I upgrade the MNGP, something not going very well, my computer some how from some where keep getting power off at around 6x%ish, hard reboot so the display is blank, all I got both red LED.

Before go the bed last night, I took my I7 Dell laptop out in the garage and tried one more time, with new Win10 computer and Win10 upgrade (beta) software, it took forever to get the USB driver install, after that I start upgrade the MNGP, I watch the computer screen, it went past 64% and keep going till when it hit 100% and the msg said upgrade completed, so happy when I see that, follow the instruction, reboot the classic, and now I have 2079 version for the classic and 2056 for the MNGP, I don't know if I want to messy around with the upgrade any more, too hard to get it done, not very friendly, I hope some one working on it to make our user a lot easier.

Halfcrazy

Glad it finally went. I did not think the Windows 10 updarer asked us to monkey with a driver so I was under the impression it was pretty easy to use?

CharliVN

Ryan,

Since my MNGP still at 2056FW, do you think I gain anything major to go to 2079FW or should I just leave it alone for now.  I thing I know my classic200 not talking to mymidnite2.com yet, when I log in it have ! mark at FW field, I need to work on this when I get home today.

Resthome

Quote from: CharliVN on February 01, 2016, 11:50:22 AM
Ryan,

Since my MNGP still at 2056FW, do you think I gain anything major to go to 2079FW or should I just leave it alone for now.  I thing I know my classic200 not talking to mymidnite2.com yet, when I log in it have ! mark at FW field, I need to work on this when I get home today.

I'm not Ryan.  But the Classic and the MNGP are not always at the same FW version. The Readme file for Classic 2079 shows the last MNGP at 2054 for SL changes. So if you are at MNGP 2056 the documention could be wrong. But I would not try to update the MNGP again unless Ryan says there is a later version not called out in the Readme file.
John

Resthome

Ryan..

Just curious if we had tried to update with W10 and the old loader and driver. Should we remove the old driver and old software or does it matter. Just wanted to make sure there is not conflicts between the old and new method. I believe the old driver does not get removed with the old software uninstall.
John

mike90045

Glad I still have a working XP machine.   Maybe I can rent it out ?
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Halfcrazy

Quote from: Resthome on February 01, 2016, 01:35:35 PM
Ryan..

Just curious if we had tried to update with W10 and the old loader and driver. Should we remove the old driver and old software or does it matter. Just wanted to make sure there is not conflicts between the old and new method. I believe the old driver does not get removed with the old software uninstall.

Thats a good question, I would delete the driver and any trace of the installer just to be safe

cpttom

I have the same issue....The thing is the directions on the website say the following in the second paragraph of the Release notes at http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmwareReport.php?firmware_ID=17&firmwareProduct_ID=1&act=edit:
After installing the firmware in the Classic or MNGP it would be a good idea to do a "Factory Restore" or a "Quick Start".

When I got the blank screen on the MNGP, I tried the hardware factory reset, but no joy.  I also tried to reinstall several times. no luck.

I have a ticket open and am in the process of switching out the MNGP.  I think there is something not quite right with your utility, and I also suggest you change the wording of the quoted sentence.  Thanks.

Quote from: Halfcrazy on February 01, 2016, 06:06:28 AM

It sounds like you did a factory restore on the classic BEFORE you actually updated the MNGP. This may cause some issues as there are registers that are not present in one piece of the two. What I would suggest is trying the hardware factory restore then try updating the MNGP again. (Directions are on the software page) if that doesn't work email support and they will get you fixed up support@midnitesolar.com